Moon Stone?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Art In Colorado

Moon Stone?

Post by Art In Colorado »

Back in 1968 I purchased a stone that I remember was called a Moon Stone. I allso remember that it was a Case product. I still have it but the name that was on it is long gone. It is very hard with a very high grit. I still use it from time to time.
Can anyone refresh my memory of this my oldest sharpening stone?
Beavertail

Re: Moon Stone?

Post by Beavertail »

I seem to remember that it was a ceramic sharpening stone.
Case also made a moon stick. Hope this helps. ::handshake::
Tim
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks to the good old “search” function here on AAPK viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41936&p=413605&hili ... ne#p413484. Even has a picture of the original box and the lettering/wording apparently worn off on yours.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I bought a Case Moon Stone in the late 1960s. I'm not sure if it's still with some of my other stones or not. I remember it being about the same grit as a hard Arkansas stone but larger than the small hard Arkansas stones Case sold at the time. The small Case hard Arkansas stone I bought back then would be called a translucent stone today. It is unusually fine for a hard Arkansas stone. It feels like a piece of smooth glass. I guess that was just luck of the draw. My moon stone fell in between the common Case 5 1/4" soft Arkansas stones and that unusually fine hard Arkansas stone.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 am I bought a Case Moon Stone in the late 1960s. I'm not sure if it's still with some of my other stones or not. I remember it being about the same grit as a hard Arkansas stone but larger than the small hard Arkansas stones Case sold at the time. The small Case hard Arkansas stone I bought back then would be called a translucent stone today. It is unusually fine for a hard Arkansas stone. It feels like a piece of smooth glass. I guess that was just luck of the draw. My moon stone fell in between the common Case 5 1/4" soft Arkansas stones and that unusually fine hard Arkansas stone.
According to info in the post from Steve Pfeiffer (in the link I posted above) the Case Moon Stone and Moon Stick are ceramic. May be why it falls between the soft and hard Arkansas stones.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I bought an 8" rectangular ceramic stone in 1977 that is about the same as a Moon Stone except for size. They were common by then if not before then. They are more economical than Arkansas stones and do not wear down as fast.
Art In Colorado

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 am I bought a Case Moon Stone in the late 1960s. I'm not sure if it's still with some of my other stones or not. I remember it being about the same grit as a hard Arkansas stone but larger than the small hard Arkansas stones Case sold at the time. The small Case hard Arkansas stone I bought back then would be called a translucent stone today. It is unusually fine for a hard Arkansas stone. It feels like a piece of smooth glass. I guess that was just luck of the draw. My moon stone fell in between the common Case 5 1/4" soft Arkansas stones and that unusually fine hard Arkansas stone.
Thats it. I remember now first bouhght a that small stone first and the description as called a translucent stone is right on. I gave this to my sis-inlaw to sharpen her dental hygene instriments. A blade must be very sharp to benefit from this stone.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

I bought a Case Moon Stone (definitely ceramic) in the late 1970's or early 1980's right out of a Case floor display. And I still use it. And I use the honing oil I bought with it which is light blue in color. I really like that stone for small to medium sized blades. This is just my opinion, but I think it is a somewhat finer "grit" than a Hard Arkansas Stone. But maybe that is because my large Hard Arkansas Stone is more gritty than others. I think the Case Moon Stone nicely polishes the edge.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
Art In Colorado

hardman wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:26 am I bought a Case Moon Stone (definitely ceramic) in the late 1970's or early 1980's right out of a Case floor display. And I still use it. And I use the honing oil I bought with it which is light blue in color. I really like that stone for small to medium sized blades. This is just my opinion, but I think it is a somewhat finer "grit" than a Hard Arkansas Stone. But maybe that is because my large Hard Arkansas Stone is more gritty than others. I think the Case Moon Stone nicely polishes the edge.
It is definetly a finer grit then a hard Arkansas oil stone. I have two of them. I never thought what the Moon Stone was made of but ceramic makes sense.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”