people are hard on knives

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: people are hard on knives

Post by Mumbleypeg »

thankgod4rkids wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:10 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:19 pm If you have a belt sharpener this in one good use for it. Otherwise like Cody says a course stone will do the job, just takes a little longer to remove enough metal. Either way, finish it up with finer grit stones to get the edge back to sharp.

Ken
Really wish I had grandpa's big old peddle turned stone. Looked what those are bringing these days. Ouch. His even had the water can on it. I'll have to wait until the new shop is set up this spring. Something tells me its in my best interest to help the wife get settled in the new house before I worry about the shop :D
Bill
Sorta like this one, but probably with a bigger stone? :lol: This one would do the job! It lives in my shop but doesn’t get used much.

Ken
Attachments
674A6764-62F0-4B6A-801D-B5842071EFA3.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Yep, bigger stone. I just remember grandpa not liking the electric bench grinder because of heat. I still have his "thistle spade" with a good edge.
Bill
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:39 am

Sorta like this one, but probably with a bigger stone? :lol: This one would do the job! It lives in my shop but doesn’t get used much.

Ken
Ken,

That is a great rig. Wish I lived closer so I could talk you out of it!

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

thankgod4rkids wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:10 pm

...Really wish I had grandpa's big old peddle turned stone. Looked what those are bringing these days. Ouch. His even had the water can on it....
Bill
Those old farm stones can still do their job if they didn’t develop a soft spot from being left in water for decades.

It has been found that most of those wheels came from two different quarries that both mined the Berea Sandstone that was used. They turn up all over North America because Sears, Montgomery Ward and other similar suppliers shipped them from catalog sales.

Kevin
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

StrawHat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:35 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:39 am

Ken
Ken,

That is a great rig. Wish I lived closer so I could talk you out of it!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. Wish I could take credit for it but it was my dad’s, so I wouldn’t part with it anyway. It was among many things in his shop that I transferred to mine after he passed. I don’t know when, where, or how he acquired it. It looks “homemade “ but although he was certainly capable of doing so, I don’t think he made it. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

This was brought to me today to be sharpened. The owner was rather nonchalant when I quoted a price to repair the damage.
08D9A87E-6EAC-4D09-94D6-D0E094060B61.jpeg
Kevin

Return to “Sharpening Forum”