Best bang for your buck sharpener

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Steve Warden

Re: Best bang for your buck sharpener

Post by Steve Warden »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:10 pm
Steve Warden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:01 pm Unlike Doc and eviled above, I just can't keep a consistent angle trying to freehand. Many do it well and say it takes practice. Me, I just want a sharp knife and an easy way to get there. I use a Lasky Turnbox TB-2D2C. Gives me the option of consistent 20° or 25° angles. $26 on Amazon. Extremely happy with it.

Hope you find something that works for you.
And welcome aboard!!
Same here! I am very happy with my Lansky Turnbox. I don't really understand the different models. but I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Tur ... B000B8FW0E
Also, I have an old wide leather belt that I use for a strop. I put some green polishing compound from Harbor Freight on the rough (unfinished) side of the belt, and I attach the belt to a drawer pull or a door knob.
And only $20 on Amazon. Great deal!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’ve tried about everything. Some like Lansky systems as mentioned already, I don’t, too many variables and for me at least it’s too easy to round over the end of a clip blade.

I prefer and recommend what I learned in as a kid, a stone of some sort. If you’re not establishing a bevel, get a medium stone, sharpen, and then straight to a strop or steel. I have Arkansas stones but the one that I use more than anything is this little medium grit diamond hone. It’s got enough grit that I can make a bevel, but Is fine enough it leaves a good edge. I don’t remember how much it cost, but not much.

I touch up a blade on it and then strop. It doesn’t take bout two or three passes.
68B5DDE0-B47D-4F86-8502-5CD738BDD669.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:44 pm
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:10 pm
Steve Warden wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:01 pm Unlike Doc and eviled above, I just can't keep a consistent angle trying to freehand. Many do it well and say it takes practice. Me, I just want a sharp knife and an easy way to get there. I use a Lasky Turnbox TB-2D2C. Gives me the option of consistent 20° or 25° angles. $26 on Amazon. Extremely happy with it.

Hope you find something that works for you.
And welcome aboard!!
Same here! I am very happy with my Lansky Turnbox. I don't really understand the different models. but I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Tur ... B000B8FW0E
Also, I have an old wide leather belt that I use for a strop. I put some green polishing compound from Harbor Freight on the rough (unfinished) side of the belt, and I attach the belt to a drawer pull or a door knob.
And only $20 on Amazon. Great deal!
I like the looks of those. I had one called a SteamBoat sharpener that was similar. They were great for a quick touch up, although I use more like. 15° angle, they worked great.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The more I use my Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System, the better I like it. Quick, easy, no complicated set up or clamps. https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sha ... ng-system/ The angle guides are built in (different angle guides can be used - they just drop in place and are held by strong magnets).

I found one for less than the Work Sharp site sells them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:22 pm The more I use my Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System, the better I like it. Quick, easy, no complicated set up or clamps. https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sha ... ng-system/ The angle guides are built in (different angle guides can be used - they just drop in place and are held by strong magnets).

Ken
I have one of those too and I like it. The pivoting stone mount is not just a gimmick. It actually works with some very brief practice. One thing that I always had problems with was getting the tip sharp on a blade that curves near the tip. Like a Clip or Spear blade.

This little apparatus solved that problem for me. It's a good product.
Attachments
IMG_3864.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:44 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:22 pm The more I use my Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System, the better I like it. Quick, easy, no complicated set up or clamps. https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sha ... ng-system/ The angle guides are built in (different angle guides can be used - they just drop in place and are held by strong magnets).

Ken
I have one of those too and I like it. The pivoting stone mount is not just a gimmick. It actually works with some very brief practice. One thing that I always had problems with was getting the tip sharp on a blade that curves near the tip. Like a Clip or Spear blade.

I had trouble with the curve on spay blades when freehand sharpening, but finally mastered it. The pivoting stone capability on this makes it easy - would have saved a lot of blades I ruined while learning to freehand. And you can just lock it in place if you want for straight edges, like a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade. Pretty much foolproof for those who haven’t mastered freehand.

The angle guides take the guesswork out of that too. Here’s a picture with the 17 degree angle guides in place.

Ken
Attachments
34C854FA-47C1-4241-97B1-CFD1EA42DA1A.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:29 am [quote=Railsplitter post_id=836957 time=<a href="tel:1596411862">1596411862</a> user_id=3453]
[quote=Mumbleypeg post_id=836952 time=<a href="tel:1596410562">1596410562</a> user_id=18569]
The more I use my Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System, the better I like it. Quick, easy, no complicated set up or clamps. https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sha ... ng-system/ The angle guides are built in (different angle guides can be used - they just drop in place and are held by strong magnets).

Ken

[/quote]

I had trouble with the curve on spay blades when freehand sharpening, but finally mastered it. The pivoting stone capability on this makes it easy - would have saved a lot of blades I ruined while learning to freehand. And you can just lock it in place if you want for straight edges, like a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade. Pretty much foolproof for those who haven’t mastered freehand.

The angle guides take the guesswork out of that too. Here’s a picture with the 17 degree angle guides in place.

Ken
[/quote]

I agree Ken. That’s why I like smaller hand held hones so I can pívot them to match the curve of the blade. I can see how this system would make it easier.
Robert E. Lee
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Seems like a consensus is forming. I was a water and oil stone guy until this arrived and the field unit is a great back up.
Bill
Attachments
20200808_191920.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

What about something to sharpen recurves? I'm having a ton of trouble not only with hawkbills/pruning knives, but also some tactical designs with recurve blade profiles, like the Kershaw Chive for example. The round ceramic stone on the Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener will do great if the edge is in good shape, and not blunt, but if the edge is blunt, or in rough shape, it's not aggressive enough?

Something like the DMT diamond tapered rods?
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:40 am What about something to sharpen recurves? I'm having a ton of trouble not only with hawkbills/pruning knives, but also some tactical designs with recurve blade profiles, like the Kershaw Chive for example. The round ceramic stone on the Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener will do great if the edge is in good shape, and not blunt, but if the edge is blunt, or in rough shape, it's not aggressive enough?

I don't have a recurve but for hoof knives I use a fine chain saw file for course and then a ceramic rod. The Oregon chain saw files are all right for hoof knives but I would look for something higher quality for your Kershaw. The course side of the Worksharp Field always surprises me though. I rarely go to the plates once I have my edge.
Bill
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:40 am What about something to sharpen recurves? I'm having a ton of trouble not only with hawkbills/pruning knives, but also some tactical designs with recurve blade profiles, like the Kershaw Chive for example. The round ceramic stone on the Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener will do great if the edge is in good shape, and not blunt, but if the edge is blunt, or in rough shape, it's not aggressive enough?

I haven't tried it but I have looked at Lansky's rod.
Bii
Attachments
Screenshot_20200809-222735_Chrome.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

As long as the edge of your stone is good and square, that's where I sharpen the recurved portion of the blade. I find that often overlapping straight passes on the stone give me better results that a swiping motion. That way you can focus more on the areas that need the most attention and keep everything nice and even. It all depends on the shape and condition of the blade. YMMV.
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

thankgod4rkids wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:29 am

I haven't tried it but I have looked at Lansky's rod.
Bii
That Lansky’s rod appears to be a ceramic rod. If so it’s likely no different than the ceramic rod that comes as part of the Worksharp Guided Sharpening System. The handles are different of course but based on his comments I think the ceramic rod isn’t aggressive enough for his purposes - looking for something with courser grit. Wade’s recommendation (edge/corner of a stone) is a good solution. Haven’t tried it myself though. Can’t think of a single recurve blade in my pile. ::hmm::

Ken
Attachments
2A0A070E-AE3B-485C-B72C-7A847ED1D90E.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

As the Reverand mentioned, practice on "less valuable" knives before working on any high dollar knives.

It doesn't matter what method you use, practice is paramount, Otherwise you end up with a messed up knife and a sour taste in your mouth for whatever type of stone or system your screwed up with. I'm convinced that 90+% of all bad reviews for sharpening systems is due to operator error.

What I did when learning to sharpen knives for real (not just the basics my grandfather taught me), I went down to the junk store and bought a pile of old dinner knives for about 5¢@ and practiced, practiced, practiced. Once I could get a hair shaving edge on a piece of crap stainless steel dinner knife, I knew I was safe for working on my "real" knives. That was done on one of those old timey 3 stone triangular setups.

When I went to learn how to use 1"x24" and a 2"x72" belt grinders, I did the same thing, except it was at a Goodwill and I ended up paying like $1.20@. Sometimes you get lucky and get them for as little as 25¢ or 50¢ if your local Goodwill has had a lot of old dinner ware turned in. Junk practice sharpening knives are just about the only reason I go to a Goodwill now. The other reason is to get old leather belts for use as strops, leather handle disks, etc.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”