Scissors?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
mrwatch

Scissors?

Post by mrwatch »

I like scissors, but even after watching YouTube videos I still can't sharpen them with out a 1 inch belt sander. Anyone have tips for how to at home? Don't plan to buy a special machine. The Westcott Titanium coated ones a great, and better if on sale.
RevolverGuy

Re: Scissors?

Post by RevolverGuy »

This is something I am also interested in. Most of the YouTube videos I have seen on this subject all show very different methods and nothing is consistent in technique. My wife is a hair dresser. She owns a few very expensive scissors for cutting hair. I tried sharpening one for her years ago on a stone, and completely ruined it. I really went slow with it and could not believe how quickly it could be damaged... From my own reading and research it appears that sharpening hair scissors is nothing like sharpening a set of paper scissors. I was determined to learn and after so much trial and error still could not figure it out. I can sharpen paper scissors, and garden shears, but those hair scissors is a mystery to me... Like some kind of ancient samurai secret. If you're going to get into this start on cheap ones first.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I had the same question.
Here are the responses I got ---> https://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_ ... 42&t=56556

Now before you ask what worked for me, know that wasn't too excited about sharpening scissors to begin with, and since my wife didn't push to get 'em sharpened, I didn't push to get 'em done :roll:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I use a variant of this system for sharpening knives and like it. They make a set-up for scissors but probably only of interest to someone who wants to sharpen them for other people as well. I can see someone doing it for other AAPK members, for instance.
https://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-E ... System-c3/
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Revolver Guy, the barber shop I go too have lady barbers. I asked the last one what kind and she said Jaguar brand. Heard of them like well over $100 a pair. They pay a professional to sharpen them. she may have said some $15 or more, and more than once a year. Wouldn't think hair could dull them but I do not understand how soft aluminum foil can supposedly sharpen scissors.
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

I sharpen maybe 100 pair of scissors a month, perhaps 50 salon shears in addition to that. For the scissors I either use my regular set up (slow spinning wheels), flat stones, or a slow speed 1x42 belt sander. Scissors are only sharpened on the cutting edge angle. Nothing else needs to be touched. They cut by shearing the material between the two edges.

Salon shears are a similar but totally different process. For salon shears, i hone the ride to flatten it and reduce friction. Then, I go after the edge. For initial sharpenings I start with 80 micron paper and progress down to 9 microns before polishing on a diamond impregnated felt disc. Beveled shears are straight forward, just hold the proper angle. Convex shears require you to roll the edge to match the convex profile of the blade.

I don’t have photos available but will get some on site soon to help explain.

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”