Open to some suggestions on a project

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Open to some suggestions on a project

Post by treefarmer »

I like to keep my grandsons interested in real things. It is a bit difficult when they are up in Gwinnett County, GA 300 miles away. Mom and Dad are doing a great job keeping them focused on school, church, baseball, fishing and a little hunting.
I've been giving them knives for several years, birthdays and Christmas and any other occasion I can. This said they need to learn how to take care of their "users". I want to build a "kit" of knife care items for each of them so they can learn. I've obtained several NOS Old Cutler Muskrat knives that won't cut hot butter and will provide a fresh place to start to learn knife sharpening without destroying a more valuable knife. I thought I would polish one bolster with some Mother's Mag to show the difference it can make, include the Mothers in the kit, maybe a tube of Quick Release, some sort of sharpening system, maybe a whet rock with some instructions, etc. Box it up in some nice durable, reusable container and present one to each of them.
All that said, I'm open to suggestions on what to include in a knife care kit such as I describer.
Thanks for any input. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Doc B

Re: Open to some suggestions on a project

Post by Doc B »

Leather and wood...for making a strop?
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

TF,
This pouch is field expedient, and good for organizing “stuff.”
This is one that stays in the house for oiling. I have another that is for sharpening.
You could easily put such a kit together for maintenance and sharpening.
45B2DA27-090F-4763-9E3F-2F688BB0700F.jpeg
7854F286-6D5B-4C4E-91B9-1314BE57A2E6.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Definitely a Quick Release oil pen applicator, a tub of Ren Wax, and perhaps a set of inter-changeable screwdrivers and a work mat! Good on ya T.F. ::tu:: for taking an active part in your grandsons upbringing! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great idea Philip! ::tu:: I have tried my first sharpening attempts on a normal old school two corse sharpening stone. Results were ok but just ok. I have looked around to see what other sharpening systems might be good for me as a Greenhorn & I would like to try a Lansky next. One of those wooden boxes with the sticks in it. I think it would be easy to use, even for a beginner. The sticks are already at the appropriate angle. Just have to hold the knife straight and then pull the length of the blade down the length of the sticks. Looks easy enough to me. Ryan said he bought one a few weeks back, maybe he could chime in and give you some Feedback on them. ::tu::

The pouch idea that Tony-Wood posted above also looks like a great idea! ::nod:: I have been useing a shaving bag for my knife stuff but it's getting a bit too small for all my stuff.

Flitz does a nice just of cleaning things up but that is the only product I have really tested till now.

Baby oil is a mineral oil that is good for oiling, safe for the skin ect. & it is also food safe incase someone wants to cut up any food with their knives. Just a thought. (Videos about Mineral oil for knives on YouTube)

Just my 2¢ & for what it's worth. ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 pm Definitely a Quick Release oil pen applicator, a tub of Ren Wax, and perhaps a set of inter-changeable screwdrivers and a work mat! Good on ya T.F. ::tu:: for taking an active part in your grandsons upbringing! 8)
Quick Release - absolutely. In the Pen oiler tube -- absolutely not. My introduction to Quick Release was a pen oiler and the Quick Release oil was wonderful but the pen oiler cracked after a while and the tube was still half full. Bad juju. Renaissance Wax, excellent suggestion but in a 65 ml container. That stuff goes a loooong way. The screwdrivers? Why??? The work mat? EXCELLENT suggestion.

A small two sided stone for sharpening with explicit instruction on the use and a small container of 3-IN-OIL. ::tu:: Maybe a small tub of Mother's Mag to share and keep the outside looking good. What a terrific idea you had Philip.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:18 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 pm Definitely a Quick Release oil pen applicator, a tub of Ren Wax, and perhaps a set of inter-changeable screwdrivers and a work mat! Good on ya T.F. ::tu:: for taking an active part in your grandsons upbringing! 8)
Quick Release - absolutely. In the Pen oiler tube -- absolutely not. My introduction to Quick Release was a pen oiler and the Quick Release oil was wonderful but the pen oiler cracked after a while and the tube was still half full. Bad juju. Renaissance Wax, excellent suggestion but in a 65 ml container. That stuff goes a loooong way. The screwdrivers? Why??? The work mat? EXCELLENT suggestion.
Sorry you've had trouble with the Q.R. applicator jerry, I've had one for close to a year and it works perfectly. Also bought a 1 oz. refill tube and have re-filled the pen twice without any problems. Sounds like the pen you got was ancient and was sitting in sunlight in the store, so it dried-up, thus cracking it. Figured screwdrivers to tighten pivots and body screws, since T.F. was asking for suggestions, didn't know it was a contest! 8)
A small two sided stone for sharpening with explicit instruction on the use and a small container of 3-IN-OIL. ::tu:: Maybe a small tub of Mother's Mag to share and keep the outside looking good. What a terrific idea you had Philip.
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I have long used mineral oil, however I have only used pure mineral oil, not baby oil. I have been advised that baby oil can contain additional chemicals, e.g. to give it a pleasant scent. The article I read suggested that some knife materials might react to these additives. I have never experimented and so I cannot confirm the validity of this.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

These thoughts and suggestions are great! ::tu::
I had the same experience Jerry mentioned with a Quick Release oiler tube several years ago. Kinda aggravating to lose some of that good stuff. Something else to add to a "kit" could be a RR knife pick and even an old dental pick for workin' down in the well.
Treefarmewr

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

A couple of cheap but useful suggestions, a builders pencil to help remove rust, and some pipe cleaners to clean the inside of the knife. You have a good weekend, and look after the kids, they sound like good kids. ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

TPK wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:10 pm Great idea Philip! ::tu:: I have tried my first sharpening attempts on a normal old school two corse sharpening stone. Results were ok but just ok. I have looked around to see what other sharpening systems might be good for me as a Greenhorn & I would like to try a Lansky next. One of those wooden boxes with the sticks in it. I think it would be easy to use, even for a beginner. The sticks are already at the appropriate angle. Just have to hold the knife straight and then pull the length of the blade down the length of the sticks. Looks easy enough to me. Ryan said he bought one a few weeks back, maybe he could chime in and give you some Feedback on them. ::tu::

The pouch idea that Tony-Wood posted above also looks like a great idea! ::nod:: I have been useing a shaving bag for my knife stuff but it's getting a bit too small for all my stuff.

Flitz does a nice just of cleaning things up but that is the only product I have really tested till now.

Baby oil is a mineral oil that is good for oiling, safe for the skin ect. & it is also food safe incase someone wants to cut up any food with their knives. Just a thought. (Videos about Mineral oil for knives on YouTube)

Just read your post about the croc stick sharpeners, and maybe a review. I have 2 that i bought and one that i made. The little Lansky croc stick sets are great, and would be a good way to teach kids the whole idea of getting the angles correct, with the 2 grits and a strop you can get and keep your knife sharp, and depending on the knife, some you can get razor sharp. The key to them is taking your time to get an edge before going to the next grit then the strop. But to introduce a kid i would recommend one, the thing with kids is you have to keep them interested other wise they lose interest quickly, with these sharpeners they can see and feel the progression they are making. Hope this helps.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:36 pm Figured screwdrivers to tighten pivots and body screws, since T.F. was asking for suggestions, didn't know it was a contest! 8)
It is most definitely not a contest. I was assuming Philip did not give the Grands any knives that have screws holding them together, thus no pivots nor body screws. After re-reading my post it did appear that I was critiquing your suggestions. Not true and I'm sorry that it came across that way.

In the place of the pen oiler, I would like to suggest the 1 ounce bottle.
Attachments
414Wr-KhWxL__AC_UL474_SR474,450_.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

cudgee wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:17 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:10 pm Great idea Philip! ::tu:: I have tried my first sharpening attempts on a normal old school two corse sharpening stone. Results were ok but just ok. I have looked around to see what other sharpening systems might be good for me as a Greenhorn & I would like to try a Lansky next. One of those wooden boxes with the sticks in it. I think it would be easy to use, even for a beginner. The sticks are already at the appropriate angle. Just have to hold the knife straight and then pull the length of the blade down the length of the sticks. Looks easy enough to me. Ryan said he bought one a few weeks back, maybe he could chime in and give you some Feedback on them. ::tu::

Just read your post about the croc stick sharpeners, and maybe a review. I have 2 that i bought and one that i made. The little Lansky croc stick sets are great, and would be a good way to teach kids the whole idea of getting the angles correct, with the 2 grits and a strop you can get and keep your knife sharp, and depending on the knife, some you can get razor sharp. The key to them is taking your time to get an edge before going to the next grit then the strop. But to introduce a kid i would recommend one, the thing with kids is you have to keep them interested other wise they lose interest quickly, with these sharpeners they can see and feel the progression they are making. Hope this helps.
I agree with Cudgee--- the Lansky Turnbox would be great for a beginner..I love it for the convenience and ease of use..I always keep mine in my lunch pail to touch mine and friends knives up at work up...
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:34 am
Madmarco wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:36 pm Figured screwdrivers to tighten pivots and body screws, since T.F. was asking for suggestions, didn't know it was a contest! 8)
It is most definitely not a contest. I was assuming Philip did not give the Grands any knives that have screws holding them together, thus no pivots nor body screws. After re-reading my post it did appear that I was critiquing your suggestions. Not true and I'm sorry that it came across that way.
No problem jerry, ::tu:: as I said I, was simply making suggestions. My apologies for being a bit snide as well. ::handshake:: 8)
All that other stuff aside, isn't that Q.R. oil great stuff! 8)
8)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Great idea TF. As to the sharpening, my most used device, hands down is a pocket sized EZ lap medium grit diamond hone. You can go from dull to sharp in no time, not too coarse and not too fine. And it’s small enough for a kit or a pocket. Although, they come in various sizes.

And I’ll second the NO PEN OILER! More trouble than they’re worth imo. I prefer just the normal bottle.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I bought 8 pen oilers of quick release early this year (I wanted a four pack but I ordered two four packs by mistake).. the first tube I used cracked also.. now before I use a new tube I put a good, tight wrap of clear packing tape around it .. seems to work, I haven't had one break/leak since..
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I put Quick Release in these, they work great.
Attachments
20201011_154309.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I like using this Smith's diamond hone sharpener, especially on a really dull knife or when away from home. It has coarse and fine grits. It's small enough to slip in your gear bag and it's easy to use and does a great job. You can even use water as a lubricant if necessary. (I prefer mineral oil)
Attachments
Smith's Diamond Hone.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:14 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:34 am
No problem jerry, ::tu:: as I said I, was simply making suggestions. My apologies for being a bit snide as well. ::handshake:: 8)
All that other stuff aside, isn't that Q.R. oil great stuff! 8)
EXCELLENT! I no longer use machine oil.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Phillip, you might find some ideas in this old thread viewtopic.php?f=37&t=50318

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

edge213 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 pm I put Quick Release in these, they work great.
On a final note from me, I'm going to venture that the fellas that had trouble with the Q.R. oil pen cracking, were squeezing the pen to dispense the oil, when I believe it was designed as a "gravity" pen, where you simply hold the pen with the tip down and gravity pulls the oil out one drop at-a-time. I will give the bottom of the pen a couple of light taps as I'm holding it tip down, and just as described, the oil will drip out a drop at-a-time. I emailed the company to find out if indeed this is the case, and if they get back to me I'll come back and confirm or dissolve this theory. I think edge's suggestion for a dispenser is also an excellent idea, and, I have an all-metal oil pen that also works very well. It would seem that I have waaaaay too much time on my hands! 8)
8)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

edge213 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 pm I put Quick Release in these, they work great.
What is that container? I'm not familiar with it. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Looks like an empty Tuf-Glide container T.F.! 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 am
What is that container? I'm not familiar with it. ::shrug::
Treefarmer
G,day, i have a few of them, i bought them from a hobby supply store, but they are online. Can be used for applying oil into hard to get at joints and applying glue directly into where you want it. They are very handy to have in the tool shed or work shop. ::tu::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 am
On a final note from me, I'm going to venture that the fellas that had trouble with the Q.R. oil pen cracking, were squeezing the pen to dispense the oil, when I believe it was designed as a "gravity" pen, where you simply hold the pen with the tip down and gravity pulls the oil out one drop at-a-time. I will give the bottom of the pen a couple of light taps as I'm holding it tip down, and just as described, the oil will drip out a drop at-a-time. I emailed the company to find out if indeed this is the case, and if they get back to me I'll come back and confirm or dissolve this theory. I think edge's suggestion for a dispenser is also an excellent idea, and, I have an all-metal oil pen that also works very well. It would seem that I have waaaaay too much time on my hands! 8)
Madmarco,
Thanks for this great bit of advice concerning the QR oil pen. A gravity pen rather than a squeeze applicator. ::doh:: It works, makes me feel like a bull in a china shop. :oops:
Treefarmer

Return to “Sharpening Forum”