Sharpening a Puukko

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
kootenay joe

Sharpening a Puukko

Post by kootenay joe »

A Puukko has no edge grind. The primary grind on both sides starts about 1/4 the way down from the spine and meet to make a razor sharp edge. I believe having primary grinds meet at 'zero' is why a Puukko can edge hold better than knives with an edge grind.
Most people when re-sharpening a Puukko do so by making an edge grind, same technic they use for regular fixed blades.
Has anyone here sharpened a Puukko by working only on the primary grinds ? If so, how difficult is this to do on stones ? (Rc is often close to 60)
If using a belt grinder i imagine it requires a lot of experience with a belt grinder so as to not remove excessive steel and to get both sides to meet at 'zero' and have a straight, not 'wavy' edge.
I would like to hear from experienced sharpeners how they re-sharpen a puukko.
thanks, kj
Tony_Wood

Re: Sharpening a Puukko

Post by Tony_Wood »

KJ,
I have sharpened a blade as such, with no secondary bevel.
The hardness of the blade was not a factor as much as maintaining the proper angle.
To keep the edge centered is simple as using the same number of stokes per side on the stones, with a consistent pressure on each side.
What I find helpful is a permanent marker. Color the entire bevel with the marker, and you will be able to see your angle as the marker is removed. In factor knives you will see how “untrue” their bevel actually is.

Color both side is bevel; use equal number of strokes per side; use each stone until the scratches from the previous stone disappear; strop; then don’t cut your finger.

Hope this helps.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Tony. You make it sound almost easy. I will give it a try on some old puukkos before trying an 'important' one.
Have to leave for Calgary so will not be able to try this for 2 weeks but i will try to post some pictures of my results.
I assume it takes quite a bit longer than when sharpening an edge bevel ?
kj
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Can’t wait to see the pictures.
Actually, not as long a process as one would presume.
The key is keeping the stones clean. If you use water to clean stones, then keep them moist. The stones load up with steel much quicker than when sharpening a simple secondary edge bevel.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
richard bissell

Post by richard bissell »

Thank you, Tony Wood, for your suggestions re: the Puukko issue.I will use them with my OLD Hackman Puukko ...

Return to “Sharpening Forum”