Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener Review

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
kootenay joe

Re: Precision Adjust Knife Sharpener Review

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark in PA wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:19 pm I paid $49.95 plus shipping from Amazon.
Wow. you got a lot of 'tool' for just $50. I doubt that my Edge Pro at $200 is any better at sharpening.
kj
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

I've really been wanting to get my hands on a copy of the Edge Pro; heard so many good things about it, and I love tinkering with good tools, but so far, just have not been able to justify the expense.

I do most of my sharpening freehand on bench stones, but sometimes enjoy using the Precision Adjust unit indoors at the kitchen table, instead of standing at my workbench in my unheated worshop...!!

I also use the Precision Adjust those times when I or my customers want that picture-perfect, dead-uniform, mirror-polished bevel which exceeds what I can accomplish freehand.
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:21 pm
Mark in PA wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:19 pm I paid $49.95 plus shipping from Amazon.
Wow. you got a lot of 'tool' for just $50. I doubt that my Edge Pro at $200 is any better at sharpening.
kj
That sure seems to be a good price,like you Roland, have spent a lot more than 50 bucks. This may be my next sharpening device, like the Lansky ,but think this is my next move.
Mark in Pa, Thank you for taking the time to post all the info ,pics and follow up.
JP
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

When I checked the price on Amazon, I saw that they are currently out of stock.

I'm not going to try and compare the functionality or ability to more expensive systems but, for the value of what you pay for it, it is hard to beat.

It's kind of like a cheap pair of binoculars I take hunting with me. Now keep in mind that I hunt in woodlands here in Pennsylvania, so it's not quite the same as glassing over very long distances out west. But, I carry a cheap pair of Tasco 8X compact binoculars that cost about $12 or $15. Is there anything all that great about them? Not really and I would not pay much more than what they cost. However, if something happens to them, I haven't lost anything of great value and they are small, light, and easy to carry. For the price, I consider them a great value.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Mark in PA wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:19 pm When I checked the price on Amazon, I saw that they are currently out of stock.

I'm not going to try and compare the functionality or ability to more expensive systems but, for the value of what you pay for it, it is hard to beat.

It's kind of like a cheap pair of binoculars I take hunting with me. Now keep in mind that I hunt in woodlands here in Pennsylvania, so it's not quite the same as glassing over very long distances out west. But, I carry a cheap pair of Tasco 8X compact binoculars that cost about $12 or $15. Is there anything all that great about them? Not really and I would not pay much more than what they cost. However, if something happens to them, I haven't lost anything of great value and they are small, light, and easy to carry. For the price, I consider them a great value.
Sharpening Supplies' website currently shows the Precision Adjust to be in stock and ready to ship, at $49.95.
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

To those who have the Precision Adjust Sharpener or those who were thinking of purchasing one thought you may find this interesting. It is an interesting experiment to all those who have an interest in sharpening, not done under scientific conditions but still interesting. I am not computer literate enough to copy the link, but someone will be able to. ::tu::

YouTube - Push v's Pull best way to sharpen. Work Sharp Sharpeners.
And they have a follow up after stropping. ::tu:: :)
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Working Edge wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm I've really been wanting to get my hands on a copy of the Edge Pro; heard so many good things about it, and I love tinkering with good tools, but so far, just have not been able to justify the expense.

I do most of my sharpening freehand on bench stones, but sometimes enjoy using the Precision Adjust unit indoors at the kitchen table, instead of standing at my workbench in my unheated worshop...!!

I also use the Precision Adjust those times when I or my customers want that picture-perfect, dead-uniform, mirror-polished bevel which exceeds what I can accomplish freehand.
Mark
Thanks for the great review! I do have a question though. Does the blade holder allow for secure clamping of small blades such as the spey on a Case 6318 stockman, or even smaller blades? If it does is it possible to get to 15° without hitting the blade holder? 15° is by far my preferred angle and the Work Sharp PA is a very interesting system to me for portability but if it can't get to that angle I might have to take a pass.

Also there is a maker who has developed a scissor attachment and other stone holders for the WSPA which are 3d printed and priced to where they would be useful accessories possibly.

I am an Edge Pro user with a lot invested in extra stones and have made successful simple modifications to their small blade holder to allow for sharpening even Case's tiny trappers and stockmen and some even smaller. I love the consistent edge that I am able to achieve with the EP.
Trace
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rotten wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:46 pm
Working Edge wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm I've really been wanting to get my hands on a copy of the Edge Pro; heard so many good things about it, and I love tinkering with good tools, but so far, just have not been able to justify the expense.

Mark
Thanks for the great review! I do have a question though. Does the blade holder allow for secure clamping of small blades such as the spey on a Case 6318 stockman, or even smaller blades? If it does is it possible to get to 15° without hitting the blade holder? 15° is by far my preferred angle and the Work Sharp PA is a very interesting system to me for portability but if it can't get to that angle I might have to take a pass.

Also there is a maker who has developed a scissor attachment and other stone holders for the WSPA which are 3d printed and priced to where they would be useful accessories possibly.

I am an Edge Pro user with a lot invested in extra stones and have made successful simple modifications to their small blade holder to allow for sharpening even Case's tiny trappers and stockmen and some even smaller. I love the consistent edge that I am able to achieve with the EP.
Trace, Mark the original poster and reviewer is no longer posting, i PM'd him but got no answer, so i don't think you will hear from him. But they just released some new holders for this sharpener only last week, look it up or there are some on another forum that have a fair bit of knowledge about these and the new clamps. You know where i mean, have a good Thanksgiving day.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

cudgee wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:13 pm

Mark

Trace, Mark the original poster and reviewer is no longer posting, i PM'd him but got no answer, so i don't think you will hear from him. But they just released some new holders for this sharpener only last week, look it up or there are some on another forum that have a fair bit of knowledge about these and the new clamps. You know where i mean, have a good Thanksgiving day.
Thanks for the heads up and I did check the other site. Question answered there and the WSPA is definitely not for me.
Trace
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rotten wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:26 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up and I did check the other site. Question answered there and the WSPA is definitely not for me.
Glad i could help. ::tu:: :)
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Good Review,

I absolutley love mine, I will most likely gett the upgrade kit and a new set of the 320/600/ceramic that it comes with as I am using mine a lot and the worn set of stones may be a usful mid grit set between new and the super high grit upgrade set.

JT
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

JonTerry wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm Good Review,

I absolutley love mine, I will most likely gett the upgrade kit and a new set of the 320/600/ceramic that it comes with as I am using mine a lot and the worn set of stones may be a usful mid grit set between new and the super high grit upgrade set.

JT
Glad you like it, do you have any trouble with small pocket knives, i have seen reviews where this can be as issue. And how much do they cost in Sterling.? With the exchange rate, particularly at the moment, any thing from overseas is out of the question over here. Thanks, have a good week. :)
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm
JonTerry wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm Good Review,

JT
Glad you like it, do you have any trouble with small pocket knives, i have seen reviews where this can be as issue. And how much do they cost in Sterling.? With the exchange rate, particularly at the moment, any thing from overseas is out of the question over here. Thanks, have a good week. :)
I have had to re-adjust a few times with small stockmans, and a Laguiole due to the thin blades, but as long as you don't want a shallow angle for the edge it seems to just about cope with the smaller blades, I have more issues with the lower grit settings when taking off lots of metal to get a new angle, if the blade is bigger then I find that I have to support the tip with my spare hand to stop the knife being pulled down a little an not maintaining the angle. It's not really a problem just little hacks you learn along the way with it.

I think everybody will have thier own little ways to use this but tbh it's hard to mess anything up....

Overall I love it and have not use a stone since buying.

I think it cost me £65.00 on Amazon, and when the Mrs is not looking I might buy some after market gadgets for it, there seems to be lots comng out.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm Glad you like it, do you have any trouble with small pocket knives, i have seen reviews where this can be as issue.
You’ll not have that problem using another similarly priced Work Sharp product, the Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System. It has angle guides, but no clamps. It’s more limited in choice of angles (the standard version comes with 17 and 20 degree guides) than their Precision Adjust System, and it can also be used freehand if you prefer. The great feature it has is a tilt base feature which takes the difficulty out of sharpening curved blades. But best of all IMHO is there are no cumbersome, limiting clamps! Sharpening blades of all sizes and shapes is easy.

The angle guides provided with the Guided Sharpening System are just that - guides. They place your blade at the chosen angle on the provided diamond stones of varying grits (plus ceramic rods and leather for finishing if you prefer). If you’re unable to hold the blade at that angle for the 4-5 inches required to draw it across the stone, then by all means get a system with clamps. Otherwise why bother?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

I was a lucky guy this Christmas,

The Mrs got me the elite upgrade kit, I have not used it yet but think the extra fine grits and the leather strop will get some good results.

She also bought me the electric Worksharp kit (Mark 2)

Thats going to take a little getting used to, I'll let you know how it goes.

JT
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

JonTerry wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:12 pm I was a lucky guy this Christmas,

The Mrs got me the elite upgrade kit, I have not used it yet but think the extra fine grits and the leather strop will get some good results.

JT
I purchased one of these sharpeners based on your comments.
It just arrived today. It’s a nicely made device and I’m looking forward to trying it out!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Jeffinn wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:23 pm
JonTerry wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:12 pm I was a lucky guy this Christmas,

JT
I purchased one of these sharpeners based on your comments.
It just arrived today. It’s a nicely made device and I’m looking forward to trying it out!
Jeff
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

I had a chance to try out the knife sharpener this morning on a couple of different knives. The process is pretty straight forward, clamp the blade, grind with 320 grit, then 600 grit and finally with the ceramic stone. I started wit a couple of 34ot’s that I put new factory blades in. These blades have the factory bevel but have not been sharpened so I spent a little more time with the 320 grit to get the edge I was looking for. The 34ot blade clamped up in the fixture just fine:
34ot main blade
34ot main blade
And the sharpening at 25 degrees went fairly quick. You do have to be careful to clamp the blade a bit forward in the clamp otherwise the stones might hit the clamp but this was a small matter. When I finished the main blade I clamped up the smaller spey blade to see if I could get enough clearance to put an edge on it. Again, if you’re careful with the blade placement in the clamp there’s enough clearance to grind the edge of even these smaller blades:
34ot spey blade clearance
34ot spey blade clearance
I moved on to a slimline hunter that I’ve been working on. It’s made of 1084 steel and had been given a preliminary grind on the belt grinder of 25 degrees. The blade was then polished. I wanted to clean up the edge and “re-sharpen it. It clamped up nicely in the fixture:
1084 slimline hunter
1084 slimline hunter
Because the blade was already previously ground to 25 degrees, re-sharpening it went fairly fast and I was able to put a really nice edge on this blade in about 10-15 minutes.
It might be a bit hard to see in this picture because of the reflections but it’s got a very nice edge:
1084 slimline edge
1084 slimline edge
All in all I think it’s a really nice sharpener and for the small amount of money paid it’s well worth the price. It’s my personal opinion (and only my opinion) that it’s a bit easier to use than the Lansky and possibly a bit more accurate as well. Additionally, I find the blade clamp mechanism to hold far better than either of my Lansky clamps.
The only negative would be the plastic construction. But even that is a minor fault as the materials used seem more than sturdy enough for the job at hand.
A cool little tool to add to my already over-crowded work bench!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Jeff,

I'm so happy you like it, and you have got some good results there !!! Blades loook great ::tu::

I am very interested to hear that you found it a touch more accutate than the Lanksy and I suspect that as you already have a gist on how to use the Lanksy this would of been easy for you to set up and use efficiently.

I agree that if this was made of metal then it would be better, I am also thinking of getting one of those after market Clamp brances, which eliminate the up and down movement of the clamp with heavier blades, or when really grinding down with the lower grits.

Have fun

JT
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

1) Thanks for the review. I have a Gatco sharpener that works by a similar method. I bought it used, and the clamp has a tendency to hold the blades crooked. I had wondered if other systems worked better, and glad to know that this one does.
2). That slim blade hunter is gorgeous! I admire your work, Jeff.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Reverand wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:54 am 1) Thanks for the review. I have a Gatco sharpener that works by a similar method. I bought it used, and the clamp has a tendency to hold the blades crooked. I had wondered if other systems worked better, and glad to know that this one does.
2). That slim blade hunter is gorgeous! I admire your work, Jeff.
Thanks for the kind words Rev!
That slim hunter was from one of the first batches of knives that I did (I believe it’s in 1095 carbon steel). I didn’t like the bevels and there were a few other issues with it so I set it aside. That was 4 or 5 months ago. I just recently saw it laying in the corner of the bench and decided to regrind the bevels, reprofile the blade, polish it all up and give it some new stabilized silver wattle hard wood handles. I still have some work to do on it but I’m hoping to finish it up this month.
Jeff
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Jeffinn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:47 pm I had a chance to try out the knife sharpener this morning on a couple of different knives. The process is pretty straight forward, clamp the blade, grind with 320 grit, then 600 grit and finally with the ceramic stone. I started wit a couple of 34ot’s that I put new factory blades in. These blades have the factory bevel but have not been sharpened so I spent a little more time with the 320 grit to get the edge I was looking for. The 34ot blade clamped up in the fixture just fine:
0C2CFCAB-3B1D-465F-BD33-DE7855EDEBA6.jpeg
And the sharpening at 25 degrees went fairly quick. You do have to be careful to clamp the blade a bit forward in the clamp otherwise the stones might hit the clamp but this was a small matter. When I finished the main blade I clamped up the smaller spey blade to see if I could get enough clearance to put an edge on it. Again, if you’re careful with the blade placement in the clamp there’s enough clearance to grind the edge of even these smaller blades:
95144B4C-EF4B-4AFD-A0D2-04D403F3FC4F.jpeg
I moved on to a slimline hunter that I’ve been working on. It’s made of 1084 steel and had been given a preliminary grind on the belt grinder of 25 degrees. The blade was then polished. I wanted to clean up the edge and “re-sharpen it. It clamped up nicely in the fixture:
074CCE4B-A0D3-4E4C-B0FF-AE6FB764E296.jpeg
Because the blade was already previously ground to 25 degrees, re-sharpening it went fairly fast and I was able to put a really nice edge on this blade in about 10-15 minutes.
It might be a bit hard to see in this picture because of the reflections but it’s got a very nice edge:
30F5E3B7-CF51-434C-B673-CFDBBD40778F.jpeg
All in all I think it’s a really nice sharpener and for the small amount of money paid it’s well worth the price. It’s my personal opinion (and only my opinion) that it’s a bit easier to use than the Lansky and possibly a bit more accurate as well. Additionally, I find the blade clamp mechanism to hold far better than either of my Lansky clamps.
The only negative would be the plastic construction. But even that is a minor fault as the materials used seem more than sturdy enough for the job at hand.
A cool little tool to add to my already over-crowded work bench!
Jeff
That is a nice looking edge on that slimline. Glad you like your new system. You are on the same page as many of the reviewers i have read about the plastic construction, but metal would make the cost so prohibitive they would not sell many i suspect. But love that bevel on the slimline, nice one. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “Sharpening Forum”