Work Sharp Precision Adjust---Further Grit Options

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Working Edge

Work Sharp Precision Adjust---Further Grit Options

Post by Working Edge »

The WorkSharp Precision Adjust Sharpener has proven itself a very practical and cost-effective tool for quickly putting a very sharp, repeatable working edge on most EDC belt and pocket knives.
I especially enjoy the Precision Adjust as an indoor, tabletop alternative to standing at my bench in my unheated workshop.
However, I have read others' postings, and I share this sentiment, that it would be really nice to have more grit options for the Precision Adjust's Tri-Brasive slider than are currently available from Work Sharp.
So, with a little research, I found a couple of easy and cost-effective methods of affixing polishing papers and lapping films the the Tri-Brasive assembly, for the purpose of taking an edge far beyond the as-issued capabilities of the Precision Adjust.
First up, you can use double-sided Scotch tape to stick your chosen abrasives onto the Tri-Brasive slider's ceramic stone. Using this method with a strip of 5 micron lapping film, followed by careful stropping on leather with green compound, I put the sharpest edge I've ever created in my life, on a Swiss Army pen blade, in just a few minutes of time beyond the "normal" sharpening routine on the Precision Adjust.
Second method: there is a fellow who offers 3D-printed plastic replacement sliders to fit the Precision Adjust's Tri-Brasive rod.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Work-Sharp-Pre ... 4171969596

( I have no commercial interest in the above product; it just seems very cool...)

You can adhere up to three separate (different) strips of abrasive so as to truly go to town and geek out in super-polishing and edge. Or, you could use the replacement slider to mount up super-coarse papers, to re-profile or thin out a too-fat bevel, if you want.

Work Sharp told me, via email, that further grits are going to be offered by Work Sharp, but in the meantime, the above methods might work for those of us who don't like to wait, to explore options and tinker with stuff....
Hope this helps..!!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
rea1eye

Re: Work Sharp Precision Adjust---Further Grit Options

Post by rea1eye »

Good tinkering!

Bob
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

🤠🤠👍👍🔪🔪🔪
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark, thank you for this latest update. Does sound like a very good value sharpener and like your thinking outside the square. Maybe another tip for you, if you used double sided tape you could fix a piece of leather strop to use the machine to strop and keep your angle completely accurate. Just pull the knife against the leather. :) .
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Thanks very much, for that strop tip..!

Much appreciated..!!

Mark 🤠🤠🔪🔪🔪
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

Thanks for the information.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

::handshake::
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Mark in PA

Post by Mark in PA »

Hi Workingedge,

I purchased the extra slider with the lapping film.

The original slider comes with 320, 600, and 3,000 grits.

The extra films consist of 600, 1,200, 1,800, 8,000, 14,000, and 60,000 grits.

Just curious which grits you recommend in succession. I know its obvious that you should start with the course grits and work yourself to the finer grits but, would you use everyone of them? Do you recommend going all the way down to 60,000 grit?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Wow. 60,000 grit?! I didn’t even know there was such a thing. I thought I was going too high with 1,000 grit stones. :shock: :D
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Mark in PA wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:27 pm Hi Workingedge,

Just curious which grits you recommend in succession. I know its obvious that you should start with the course grits and work yourself to the finer grits but, would you use everyone of them? Do you recommend going all the way down to 60,000 grit?
Honestly, I don't have a recommendation for Y'all, regard at which grit to stop polishing.
It all depends on your own preferences and your perception of the point of diminishing returns....
That said, I myself probably wouldn't go past 8,000 grit polish, as my personal preference is for a slightly toothy edge, but that's just me.
My own use of the aftermarket slider probably would be to use 120- 150 grit silicon carbide paper as an extra-coarse option for re-profiling a bevel, instead of putting so much wear and tear on the factory issued 325 diamond face, and perhaps the 600 grit film, again, to save the 600 grit diamond for an extra-hard steel, then on through the 8,000 for the final polish.
It sure would be nice to read a report from you on how you like that aftermarket slider...!!!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Greg_H

Post by Greg_H »

Does anybody that bought the ebay part have an update on how they like using it? thanks
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Greg_H wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 pm Does anybody that bought the ebay part have an update on how they like using it? thanks
First off welcome to AAPK's. Lots of of information here for all knife enthusiasts. In answer to your question, i don't think there are many here who have this sharpener, from what i have gleamed there is only one that i know of, so answers might be thin on the ground. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Greg_H

Post by Greg_H »

Thanks for the welcome!
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Working Edge wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:47 pm
Mark in PA wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:27 pm Hi Workingedge,

Honestly, I don't have a recommendation for Y'all, regard at which grit to stop polishing.
It all depends on your own preferences and your perception of the point of diminishing returns....
That said, I myself probably wouldn't go past 8,000 grit polish, as my personal preference is for a slightly toothy edge, but that's just me.
My own use of the aftermarket slider probably would be to use 120- 150 grit silicon carbide paper as an extra-coarse option for re-profiling a bevel, instead of putting so much wear and tear on the factory issued 325 diamond face, and perhaps the 600 grit film, again, to save the 600 grit diamond for an extra-hard steel, then on through the 8,000 for the final polish.
It sure would be nice to read a report from you on how you like that aftermarket slider...!!!
Mark

Return to “Sharpening Forum”