Edges - The good the bad and the fugly

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
old4570

Edges - The good the bad and the fugly

Post by old4570 »

Fugly = Functional but ugly !
Knives are so much fun :roll: , and what I find equally interesting is that some people only care about how something looks like and how it feels and not how it performs . Me , Im the other way around . How it performs comes first , how it feels comes second and how it looks ? Well , If I dont like the way it loos I dont buy it . So looks is not really an issue .

Performance : Oh yeah ! This is where I judge a knife . And edge holding is the proof of the pudding . ( The pudding is either good or bad - never mind the excuses ) .

The point ! ::ds::

There has to be a starting point ::dang:: ( Right ? )
So if your going to play the edge game , there simply has to be a starting point . Do you start with the finest , shiniest , most polished edge and work your way down ? Or do you start rough and work your way up ? ::hmm::

Being the practical person I like to think I am , Im going to start from the bottom and work my way up . So the roughest edge to start and then slowly refine it till something or nothing happens . ( Time consuming ) .

So far : I am finding that bad steel wants a rough edge for edge retention . I am doubling my retention or almost doubling it . So why put a fine edge on bad steel if it gets you nothing ? ( Thats why I cut rope - to find out stuff )
The goal here is to take 3 knives , start rough , and work my way to a mirror finish and see / document the results .
R3 Remington - TwoSun - and a 3rd ...
Obviously this is not a scientific test , but simply a quest to acquire first hand knowledge . Hopefully information that wont be trolled to death !
Yes , I have little interest in opinion . I like test data and facts . Unfortunately I dont have 50K worth of test equipment , so I will just have to do the best I can . Dont want to know , then please feel free to ignore me . ( I don't mind ) . ::super_happy::

Differential sharpening ! - Anyone onto this ? ( Interesting stuff if edge retention rules your world )

Return to “Sharpening Forum”