Edge Pro Apex 4 Kit

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Working Edge

Edge Pro Apex 4 Kit

Post by Working Edge »

After months of temptation and consideration, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Edge Pro Apex 4 kit, along with and specifically because of the scissors sharpening attachment, which is available as an accessory.
Several of my friends and customers have been requesting scissors sharpening, so it seems like the demand will justify the kit's expense.
Of course, probably a few knives will get sharpened with this new tool.... :mrgreen:

If Y'all might be curious about how well this kit does or doesn't function, I will be happy to post updates.
Wish me luck..!!!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Edge Pro Apex 4 Kit

Post by Railsplitter »

I was torn between the Apex and a Wicked Edge system. I ended up getting the Wicked Edge but I would certainly enjoy reading some updates if you have the time.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, I am definitely interested in a review of how this unit works along with some photos.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Railsplitter wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:46 pm I was torn between the Apex and a Wicked Edge system. I ended up getting the Wicked Edge but I would certainly enjoy reading some updates if you have the time.
I too, had been considering the Wicked Edge system, but DEFINITELY couldn't justify the expense..!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:26 pm Yes, I am definitely interested in a review of how this unit works along with some photos.
Thanks, Fellows, I will indeed follow up with updates and photos, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise...!! :D
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Yes, I would be interested in hearing how it does. Thanks for posting!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Working Edge wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:04 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:26 pm Yes, I am definitely interested in a review of how this unit works along with some photos.
Thanks, Fellows, I will indeed follow up with updates and photos, Lord willing and the creeks don't rise...!! :D
Mark, looking forward to seeing your report and your thoughts about this system. I have a cheap copy of this system, i found it online over here from an Australian seller with free postage so just wanted to give it a try, i really like it, i did a couple of mods to it, and i can get a really good edge with mine. The one you have will be a lot better made and constructed than the copy i have, so i think you will happy with your purchase.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Thanks, cudgee, and I find there is something to be said, for someone who can tinker with a product to make it perform better than as-issued..!
Much respect for that skill..!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
old4570

Post by old4570 »

Is this it ?
I got 3 for the handles .. I hate changing stones ..
If I see them going cheap again ( discounted ) I will buy two more for the handles .

A little tricky to use , but take your time and constantly check how your holding the knife and you should put down a very nice edge .

If this is the one ? ::hmm::

Mod ) I screwed mine down onto a flat board - as is = Rickety as all heck !
Screwed down to a flat board really makes for a solid platform . If mine were not screwed down , I would throw it away . ( Rickety as all heck )
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark, thanks for your thoughts. That is exactly why i tried one of the cheap knock-offs. These are the simple sums. An Edge Pro over here would cost me about $500 AUD delivered, the knock off cost me $30 AUD delivered. I would rather spend 30 bucks to see if i like a system before committing 500 and deciding it is not for me, it is like test driving a car before you buy it. But i like mine, and the authentic Edge Pro stones will fit my system if i need to replace the ones i have. I am always interested in different ways of sharpening, still love freehand but i am willing to try new ideas, as my dad always said- never be afraid to try something new, you might learn something. You have a good weekend mate. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

That was good advice from your dad, for sure..!
Have a great weekend, cudgee..!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Okay, I have sharpened four rather challenging knives so far with this new kit, and am ready to tell Y'all my impressions...
EDIT: My attempts at photo posting and captioning did not turn out well, sorry.... ::mdm::
This is an exceptionally well-designed and well-made kit. Having a background in machine work, (lathe and vertical mill,) I can tell you the Edge Pro's materials and workmanship are first-rate, and the machining tolerances are very tight.
The unit is quite rigid, much more so than my copy of the WorkSharp Precision Adjust Sharpener, but probably not as rigid as the Wicked Edge product, from what I can gather from the photos online of the Wicked Edge.
Not that I intend this posting to be a comparison between these three sharpening appliances, but in context, some comparison kinda can't be avoided.
The Edge Pro device is easy to set up, and the instructions are very well written.
My very first project with the Edge Pro was a large Japanese chef knife, which needed a lot of grinding to remove a whole bunch of chips from the edge.
After setting the cutting angle by a short sequence of trial and error with the sharpie, the Edge Pro's 220 grit stone made short work of re-forming the bevels, using the factory angle.
Changing the cutting angle is quick and easy, just a quick verical adjustment to the stone arm pivot hieght.
The second photo shows the correct cutting angle, as evidenced by the stone wiping the sharpie ink from the full width of the bevel.
The next pic (sort-of) shows the fully polished bevel on this now dastardly sharp chef knife, which is, much as I hate to admit, significantly sharper than I would achieve freehanding. :oops:
Paper-thin slices of tomato, and a quick slice of my knuckle from hardly even grazing against the edge..!
20210412_132854.jpg
Next up was my C.R.K.T. Fossil, which was a challenge to hold steady on the machine's blade table, due to the shape of the blade faces, with their steep hollow grind.
Note the polished bevel on the Fossil, which is now sharper (ahem) than ever before.
The magnetic insert attachment is an Edge Pro optional accessory which greatly helps the user to keep the knife steady on the blade table...highly recommend this attachment.
Next up was my little C.R.K.T Wharncliffe, which sharpened up to beyond insanely sharp, and will push cut through cardboard with very little effort, which is exactly what I use this knife for...
Lastly was a friend's converted and re-styled U.S.M.C. short heavy machete, which I had been struggling to sharpen freehand due to an extremely thick, teardrop-shaped bevel combined with an unwieldy blade size and shape.
The Edge Pro totally excelled at cutting a proper bevel on this big heavy knife, and that project alone made my day..!
After three knives, the design and function of the Edge Pro totally made sense, and the motions required began to feel fluid and natural, which I think speaks to the engineering behind the appliance.
There was one knife, my Schrade Old Timer Sharpfinger, which would not sit level on the blade table without a custom riser block. That blade was for that moment, better served by the WorkSharp Precision Adjust, by virtue of the WorkSharp's fairly versatile clamp.
I do think it helps to cover all the bases by having a clamp-style sharpening appliance on hand, and the WorkSharp got this Sharpfinger very sharp, but quite honestly, not as sharp as would the Edge Pro, had I taken the time to fashion a riser block for the Sharpfinger.
To sum up, so far, I am very, very happy with the Edge Pro, and I haven't even yet tried the scissors sharpening attachment.
Humbling as it is, this Edge Pro device does indeed turn out a bevel much more consistent than I achieve freehand, and definitely a sharper edge. For those folks wanting super-precision edge geometry and a beautifully polished bevel, this appliance is very effective, at a reasonable price point.
I shall report my findings on the scissors sharpening attachment, and I hope Y'all found this posting useful..!!
Mark
Attachments
20210412_140850.jpg
20210412_154428.jpg
20210412_133351.jpg
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
old4570

Post by old4570 »

Sharpening by hand does tend to give you a rounded edge . This can be good or bad !
Some knives work well with a slightly rounded edge and others not .

( Know thy knife ) ::shrug::

Nothing worse than spending hours sharpening ( attempting to ) a knife , only for the result to be perhaps average at best .
Guided knife sharpeners are a blessing . Put down a nice STRAIGHT bevel , and you may be able to touch up that edge for a year or more by hand or by strop ! Minimising edge wear and extending the life of your knife . ::ds::

_IGP1399.JPG
_IGP1401.JPG
Mounted on a wood board . Makes for a nice solid foundation .
3 handless - Stone / Diamond / Ceramic Rod .
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Working Edge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 am I have sharpened four rather challenging knives so far with this new kit...my little C.R.K.T Wharncliffe sharpened up to beyond insanely sharp, and will push cut through cardboard with very little effort, which is exactly what I use this knife for...
Mark, thanks for sharing your experience. That could be just the ticket for my CopperLock. After more extensive examination, it seems to be--either by design or accident--a chisel grind. (It's unlikely I'd get a decent picture of it, as my phone's camera really struggles with such close-up shots.)
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 am
Working Edge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 am I have sharpened four rather challenging knives so far with this new kit...my little C.R.K.T Wharncliffe sharpened up to beyond insanely sharp, and will push cut through cardboard with very little effort, which is exactly what I use this knife for...
Mark, thanks for sharing your experience. That could be just the ticket for my CopperLock. After more extensive examination, it seems to be--either by design or accident--a chisel grind. (It's unlikely I'd get a decent picture of it, as my phone's camera really struggles with such close-up shots.)
If i may give you a piece of good advise to help you with your sharpening, get yourself a jewelers loupe. They are not expensive and an invaluable aid, allows you to see the edge magnified and close up. You will be able to pick up any flaws in the edge where you may have to work on and you can see the progress as you sharpen, especially as you move through different grit sizes and stones, diamond and ceramic.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

old4570 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 am Guided knife sharpeners are a blessing . Put down a nice STRAIGHT bevel , and you may be able to touch up that edge for a year or more by hand or by strop !
I can agree with this. Putting down a base bevel is the only time I ever use my Wicked Edge. From there on out it's micro bevel touch ups done by hand on my Work Sharp until the base bevel needs laid down again.

I've had my Wicked Edge for about 2 years and I only have 1 blade that I've taken to the Wicked Edge more than once. Most of my sharpening is touch ups on the Work Sharp.
Attachments
micro-bevel-286x300.jpg
micro-bevel-286x300.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
IMG_4898.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cudgee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:12 am If i may give you a piece of good advise to help you with your sharpening, get yourself a jewelers loupe.
Will do. Thanks!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Sharpened two pruning shears with the E.P. scissors attachment, below are before-and-after photos.

Took more time to disassemble and reassemble the shears than to set up the E.P. and sharpen the blades, for sure.

My wife proceeded to test the two shears after sharpening; she's happy and so am I..!!!
Attachments
20210414_162631.jpg
20210414_163214.jpg
20210414_164355.jpg
20210414_165813.jpg
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 am
Dan,
You are most welcome..!
Let us know which appliance you decide upon.
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark and Dan, have a look at this, won't take up much of your time but you may find it interesting. I am not literate enough to copy the link. Youtube
The Edge In Hand edgepro before and after. Have a good weekend.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 am Mark and Dan, have a look at this, won't take up much of your time but you may find it interesting. I am not literate enough to copy the link. Youtube
cudgee,

I believe this is the youtube video you meant:

https://youtu.be/Vbx7L_eCI3g

I took the liberty of posting the link, on your behalf...

Really good demonstration of before and after results...thanks..!!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Working Edge wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm
cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 am Mark and Dan, have a look at this, won't take up much of your time but you may find it interesting. I am not literate enough to copy the link. Youtube
cudgee,

Mark
::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:02 am
Working Edge wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm
cudgee,

Mark
::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
::tu:: ::handshake::
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark, was just going through some posts on Sunday morning over here, just to catch up on anything interesting i may have missed. Was interested to know how your Edge Pro sharpener is going now that you have had it for a while. Hope all is well and you are having a good weekend. ::tu:: :)
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Cudgee,

Good to hear from you..!

I've been enjoying my Apex unit tremendously; have sharpened probably 30 knives, 12 pairs of scissors and several pairs of pruning shears and hedge clippers so far, each sharpening project turning out a bit better than the one before it with the possible exception of an old decrepit pair of scissors which I should have left alone...!
The time required to sharpen is getting less and less, also, which is nice.
The Apex unit is well on its way to paying for itself, but more importantly, the unit continues to impress me with its accuracy and utility, and it's just plain fun to use.
Another very positive aspect: Ben Dale, the inventor of the Edge Pro and owner of the company, has been extremely helpful in answering my several questions about the finer points of using the Apex, and he always answers my emails very, very quickly.
Ben has a technical mind combined with a sense of humor, which I appreciate, and he is deeply invested in helping his customers get up to speed with his products.
Thanks, cudgee, for reaching out, much appreciated..! ::handshake::
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition

Return to “Sharpening Forum”