Edge Pro Apex 4 Kit

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Edge Pro Apex 4 Kit

Post by Railsplitter »

old4570 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 am Guided knife sharpeners are a blessing . Put down a nice STRAIGHT bevel , and you may be able to touch up that edge for a year or more by hand or by strop !
I can agree with this. Putting down a base bevel is the only time I ever use my Wicked Edge. From there on out it's micro bevel touch ups done by hand on my Work Sharp until the base bevel needs laid down again.

I've had my Wicked Edge for about 2 years and I only have 1 blade that I've taken to the Wicked Edge more than once. Most of my sharpening is touch ups on the Work Sharp.
Attachments
micro-bevel-286x300.jpg
micro-bevel-286x300.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
IMG_4898.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cudgee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:12 am If i may give you a piece of good advise to help you with your sharpening, get yourself a jewelers loupe.
Will do. Thanks!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Sharpened two pruning shears with the E.P. scissors attachment, below are before-and-after photos.

Took more time to disassemble and reassemble the shears than to set up the E.P. and sharpen the blades, for sure.

My wife proceeded to test the two shears after sharpening; she's happy and so am I..!!!
Attachments
20210414_162631.jpg
20210414_163214.jpg
20210414_164355.jpg
20210414_165813.jpg
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Dan In MI wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 am
Working Edge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 am I have sharpened four rather challenging knives so far with this new kit...my little C.R.K.T Wharncliffe sharpened up to beyond insanely sharp, and will push cut through cardboard with very little effort, which is exactly what I use this knife for...
Mark, thanks for sharing your experience. That could be just the ticket for my CopperLock. After more extensive examination, it seems to be--either by design or accident--a chisel grind. (It's unlikely I'd get a decent picture of it, as my phone's camera really struggles with such close-up shots.)
Dan,
You are most welcome..!
Let us know which appliance you decide upon.
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark and Dan, have a look at this, won't take up much of your time but you may find it interesting. I am not literate enough to copy the link. Youtube
The Edge In Hand edgepro before and after. Have a good weekend.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 am Mark and Dan, have a look at this, won't take up much of your time but you may find it interesting. I am not literate enough to copy the link. Youtube
cudgee,

I believe this is the youtube video you meant:

https://youtu.be/Vbx7L_eCI3g

I took the liberty of posting the link, on your behalf...

Really good demonstration of before and after results...thanks..!!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Working Edge wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm
cudgee wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 am Mark and Dan, have a look at this, won't take up much of your time but you may find it interesting. I am not literate enough to copy the link. Youtube
cudgee,

Mark
::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:02 am
Working Edge wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm
cudgee,

Mark
::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: :)
::tu:: ::handshake::
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark, was just going through some posts on Sunday morning over here, just to catch up on anything interesting i may have missed. Was interested to know how your Edge Pro sharpener is going now that you have had it for a while. Hope all is well and you are having a good weekend. ::tu:: :)
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Cudgee,

Good to hear from you..!

I've been enjoying my Apex unit tremendously; have sharpened probably 30 knives, 12 pairs of scissors and several pairs of pruning shears and hedge clippers so far, each sharpening project turning out a bit better than the one before it with the possible exception of an old decrepit pair of scissors which I should have left alone...!
The time required to sharpen is getting less and less, also, which is nice.
The Apex unit is well on its way to paying for itself, but more importantly, the unit continues to impress me with its accuracy and utility, and it's just plain fun to use.
Another very positive aspect: Ben Dale, the inventor of the Edge Pro and owner of the company, has been extremely helpful in answering my several questions about the finer points of using the Apex, and he always answers my emails very, very quickly.
Ben has a technical mind combined with a sense of humor, which I appreciate, and he is deeply invested in helping his customers get up to speed with his products.
Thanks, cudgee, for reaching out, much appreciated..! ::handshake::
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition

Return to “Sharpening Forum”