Possibly adding to my sharpening kit

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Dan In MI

Re: Possibly adding to my sharpening kit

Post by Dan In MI »

Working Edge wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:43 pm Pull-through sharpeners, on the ceramic side, don't do damage to an edge, but on the carbide side, they certainly damage an edge by tearing and deforming the steel along the length of the edge instead of honing steel to an apex, leaving the ragged edge you mentioned.
That being the case, I'm glad the knife I ran through those sharpeners is horrendous to look at and only cost me about $1.65 out-the-door! Now I have a perfect excuse to take it to the Tri-Hone.

As an aside, I'm thinking the CopperLock that I mentioned in this topic's initial post was intentionally chisel-ground. If so, I'm not going to try to re-profile it.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 pm
Working Edge wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:43 pm Pull-through sharpeners, on the ceramic side, don't do damage to an edge, but on the carbide side, they certainly damage an edge by tearing and deforming the steel along the length of the edge instead of honing steel to an apex, leaving the ragged edge you mentioned.
That being the case, I'm glad the knife I ran through those sharpeners is horrendous to look at and only cost me about $1.65 out-the-door! Now I have a perfect excuse to take it to the Tri-Hone.

As an aside, I'm thinking the CopperLock that I mentioned in this topic's initial post was intentionally chisel-ground. If so, I'm not going to try to re-profile it.
Rarely do I change the factory bevel angle(s) unless there's a compelling reason to do so, such reason usually being a severely off-center grind...
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

The CopperLock will retain its bevel angles for now. I'll have to confirm that it was ground as intended.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Yessir...makes sense..!!! ::nod::

I looked up the CopperLock, that's a beautiful knife, Dan..!

Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Apart from a jewelers loupe, another item that comes in handy, especially for guided systems is a digital angle finder, i don't trust some of the angle markings on these kits, might be close, but not accurate. I can get a magnetic base digital angle/protractor finder for the equivalent of $15US including postage, and they are really handy to have in your tool box for other projects around the house. Have a good week everyone. :)
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:52 am Apart from a jewelers loupe, another item that comes in handy, especially for guided systems is a digital angle finder, i don't trust some of the angle markings on these kits, might be close, but not accurate. I can get a magnetic base digital angle/protractor finder for the equivalent of $15US including postage, and they are really handy to have in your tool box for other projects around the house. Have a good week everyone. :)
I want to purchase a digital angle finder, such as the Angle Cube, as well.
That would be a handy tool for setting the table saw blade angle, in addition to the sharpening kit.
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Working Edge wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:46 pm
cudgee wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:52 am Apart from a jewelers loupe, another item that comes in handy, especially for guided systems is a digital angle finder, i don't trust some of the angle markings on these kits, might be close, but not accurate. I can get a magnetic base digital angle/protractor finder for the equivalent of $15US including postage, and they are really handy to have in your tool box for other projects around the house. Have a good week everyone. :)
That would be a handy tool for setting the table saw blade angle, in addition to the sharpening kit.
Mark
Mark, this is the one i have, it only cost me $15US dollars on Ebay including delivery and runs on 2 AAA batteries. Is a handy thing to have for many uses. It has a magnetic base so you can rest it on metal surfaces hands free. ::tu::
digital cube.png
digital cube.png (15.03 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 pm
Working Edge wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:46 pm
Mark
Mark, this is the one i have, it only cost me $15US dollars on Ebay including delivery and runs on 2 AAA batteries. Is a handy thing to have for many uses. It has a magnetic base so you can rest it on metal surfaces hands free. ::tu::

digital cube.png
::tu::
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Wanted to try the wicked Edge style of sharpening { I'm a sharpening junkie } but was not going to spend an large chunk of cash just to try out the idea of how they work. Would be like buying a car without test driving it. Found one online, a cheap knock off made in China, did not like it at first, but after working out all it's little nuance's really like it. And even with the cheap diamond stones, it gets knives really sharp. I have spent more than i intended, but now i have a really solid sharpening unit, and have worked out a way to use the stones and strops i already have. Some photos, always welcome input. Have a good weekend everyone. ::tu::
IMG_20220819_093708.jpg
Came in a solid carrying case.
IMG_20220822_094002.jpg
As it came.

IMG_20220819_092046.jpg
IMG_20220825_162451.jpg
IMG_20220825_162601.jpg
With some mods and add on attachments.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”