Possibly adding to my sharpening kit

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Dan In MI

Possibly adding to my sharpening kit

Post by Dan In MI »

My new CopperLock has been put through its initial testing. Though it didn't do too badly, there is room for improvement. I got to thinking that it may be best to save my current pocket-friendly gear for use in the field or dire emergencies. So I'm considering the purchase of gear that is more of the bench-top variety.

Oil, water, or dry matters not to me. If the angled jobs offer great benefits, I'd like to get one of those. I'm looking for something that would be good for many types of steel, rather than excellent for one or two.

Does anyone have any recommendations, be they specific or general, for a setup that might work well for me!?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
FRJ

Re: Possibly adding to my sharpening kit

Post by FRJ »

Buy some large coarse stones and start sharpening. It will all fall into place. ::nod::
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

There will be a lot of experienced members here who will be able to help you with some good advise. I am looking forward to all suggestions, sharpening is one of the things about cutlery that i have a big interest in and like reading other peoples methods and opinions. One thing it does come down to is cost, how much you want to spend, can afford to spend and can you justify the cost. Take care mate, you will get some great advise here. ::tu:: :)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Large coarse stones have been added to the shopping list for now. They might be removed, pending feedback on the angled jobs.

Price was one thing I'd considered lightly. Luckily I've run across scads of options at prices that didn't make me balk. The cost should be very easy to justify.

Thanks for the help!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

IMHO this is all you need. viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66841. The more I use it the better I like it. FYI in my review of it I mention that I also bought the upgrade kit which consists of three additional stones (different grits than what comes with the basic kit). My recommendation would be to hold off on buying the upgrade kit until you’ve used it for a while. I’ve never needed to use the extra stones in the upgrade kit to get the edge I want. I have tried them all though, more out of curiosity than need.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
eveled

Post by eveled »

I buy coarse diamond stones because they stay flat and the corners stay square. When one wears down I use it as a fine and buy another coarse one. I like the Smiths large bench stones but I think they are discontinued.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:44 pm IMHO this is all you need. viewtopic.php?f=113&t=66841. FYI in my review of it I mention that I also bought the upgrade kit which consists of three additional stones (different grits than what comes with the basic kit). My recommendation would be to hold off on buying the upgrade kit until you’ve used it for a while. I’ve never needed to use the extra stones to,get the edge I want. I have tried them all though, more out of curiosity than need.

Ken
I use one of those too and I also like it. The Pivot Response System (stone tilt feature) really works. It's not just a gimmick like I thought it might be. I do like the strop that comes with the upgrade kit.
Attachments
IMG_3864.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree Rick, the leather strop probably is the one I would use most, if I was looking to get a shaving edge. I seldom want that so rarely use it. I’ve also been able to easily get a shaving edge using the ceramic rod that comes with the base system. I agree on the stone tilt system, it’s so easy it’s absurd - why didn’t someone think of that before!??

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:15 am I agree Rick, the leather strop probably is the one I would use most, if I was looking to get a shaving edge. I seldom want that so rarely need it. I’ve also been able to easily get a shaving edge using the ceramic rod that comes with the base system. I agree on the stone tilt system, it’s so easy it’s absurd - why didn’t someone think of that before!??

Ken
This is what i meant in my earlier comments. Great to hear from members who actually have this system, i watched the video you posted from a thread last year, and it looks like a good system to use. I was not too sure at first, but that company does normally produce good equipment and not gimmicky stuff, but to get actual reports from experienced knife people with year of sharpening experience. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

eveled wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:46 pm I buy coarse diamond stones because they stay flat and the corners stay square.
I have a set of DMT diamond stones, but they're on the small side (2 5/8"×15/16"). A larger diamond stone might be better for at-home use. Or maybe I should get large coarse stones, or just go for the Work Sharp system. My brain is going to gain weight from all this food for thought. Thanks to all; much appreciated!
USN 2000-2006
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I was impressed with that WORKSHARP sharpener. ::nod::
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:46 am
eveled wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:46 pm I buy coarse diamond stones because they stay flat and the corners stay square.
I have a set of DMT diamond stones, but they're on the small side (2 5/8"×15/16"). A larger diamond stone might be better for at-home use. Or maybe I should get large coarse stones, or just go for the Work Sharp system. My brain is going to gain weight from all this food for thought. Thanks to all; much appreciated!
Have a think about it, there is no hurry, but don't over think it. If, and that is only an if, you are not confident with free hand sharpening, and i don't know your circumstances, then a guided system may be a good way to go. But if i can give you some advise, take your time, look around and if you see something that you don't know about, do some research and use the forum, people are only too willing to help here. ::handshake:: :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I watched the video in the thread Ken gives a link to.
Ken you say "I sharpened seven three-blade pocket knives and a fixed blade," in about the time it would have taken you to sharpen 1 or 2 knives using conventional stones.
I cannot see why this Worksharp device makes sharpening so much quicker. Either way you are moving the blade edge over the stone so what makes it so much faster with the Worksharp ?
Also how long does the 320 grit stone last before it is not abrading the steel as well ?
In the video the guy strops at a larger angle than he sharpened at. I have always stropped at a lower angle (almost flat on strop). Maybe i've been doing it wrong ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:11 am I watched the video in the thread Ken gives a link to.
Ken you say "I sharpened seven three-blade pocket knives and a fixed blade," in about the time it would have taken you to sharpen 1 or 2 knives using conventional stones.
I cannot see why this Worksharp device makes sharpening so much quicker. Either way you are moving the blade edge over the stone so what makes it so much faster with the Worksharp ?
Also how long does the 320 grit stone last before it is not abrading the steel as well ?
In the video the guy strops at a larger angle than he sharpened at. I have always stropped at a lower angle (almost flat on strop). Maybe i've been doing it wrong ?
kj
I think the reason for my being able to sharpen the knives quicker is the Diamond stones. I’ve only previously used carborundum and Arkansas (natural) stones. Plus the Diamond stones were new. They just cut quicker than what I was accustomed to. One thing I’d point out is that the video is starting from a fairly dull knife, at least he followed the instruction set assuming so and therefore required significantly more passes on the stones than the knives I sharpened. If you notice on the video he remarked about how quickly he was able to go from a knife that was dull (cut paper with difficulty) to a shaving edge. So apparently he thought it was faster. (Compared to what, he doesn’t say however). ::shrug::

How long the 320 grit stone lasts I can’t say. So far mine is still working great, and being diamonds I assume it will last for years. As for the angle on leather I’ve always used an angle that is steeper. I want to feel a very slight drag and see that “drag” on the surface of the leather. Not sure exactly how to explain it but I know by the feel when I have the right angle. Another way to think of it is when using a leather razor strop the leather is curved when you’re polishing the edge - it sags slightly as you pull the blade across it. In which case it’s near impossible to not be at an angle steeper than you had on the hone. If your angle is too shallow you’re not really polishing the edge, you’re polishing the bevel. Hope that makes sense.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

When it comes to knife sharpening I tend to be a bit old school. I've got a Lansky system and some diamond stones but my go to is the Smith's Tri-Hone. Below is a picture of one. Mine is a bit older and has a cedar frame instead of the modern day plastic one. Both work the same. In addition to the Tri-Hone, I use a pair of crock sticks to finish up the edge. I normally don't do any stropping although I do have the equipment for doing so if I decide to.
Attachments
Crock Sticks.jpg
Smith's Tri-Hone.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

cudgee wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:20 am If, and that is only an if, you are not confident with free hand sharpening, and i don't know your circumstances, then a guided system may be a good way to go.
I'm not, but I do have some other blades I could use to hone my skills (pun intended). One of those blades wouldn't even cut paracord. The CopperLock isn't nearly that bad, so I'll get more opinions and do more research.
USN 2000-2006
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Ken. I did not realize the Worksharp has diamond stones. I have used diamond stones and they cut much faster. But they do wear out as the flakes of diamond tend to get dislodged from the 'matrix' they are embedded in. Especially true if you apply 'too much' pressure on the blade as you pass it over the stone.
I have 2 Japanese water stones from Murray Carter. The coarse is a 1000 grit and the fine a 6000 grit. It is not fast using these ::doh::
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:30 pm My new CopperLock has been put through its initial testing. Though it didn't do too badly, there is room for improvement. I got to thinking that it may be best to save my current pocket-friendly gear for use in the field or dire emergencies. So I'm considering the purchase of gear that is more of the bench-top variety.

Oil, water, or dry matters not to me. If the angled jobs offer great benefits, I'd like to get one of those. I'm looking for something that would be good for many types of steel, rather than excellent for one or two.

Does anyone have any recommendations, be they specific or general, for a setup that might work well for me!?
Have a read of Working Edge's Edge Pro Apex 4 sharpening system thread, you will find it interesting.
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

As regards rod-guided systems, there are three tiers of cost-to-results ratios.

The lowest price point would be the venerable and time-proven Lansky, which produces a good-to-excellent result, depending upon how much attention the operator pays to nuancing the details.
There are other makes of rod-guided systems in this price class of course, which cost less than the Lansky.

The WorkSharp Precision Adjust fits into the upper end of this tier, at roughly $10.00 more than the Lansky, and is a better value due to the higher precision of manufacture and increased rigidity of the chassis, compared to the other appliances in this price point.

The middle tier would be the Edge Pro systems, which produce an outstanding result without needing to finesse the details, and which produce an even better result still, when the operator is willing to finesse the nuances.

The upper tier is the Wicked Edge, which by reputation is the most precision and effective appliance for hand-powered sharpening. The Wicked Edge also is very expensive.
Perhaps a major determining factor in these three price classes is how rigid the device is, and how accurate are the machining tolerances in the manufacturing process.
EDIT: My opinion... if the budget is tight, and cost-effectivness is critical, for $50 you cannot go wrong the the WorkSharp Precision Adjust Sharpener, a rod-guided system which gives accurate and repeatable results.
Hope this helps..!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks for the detailed summary Mark.

I think I must have gotten into the Wicked Edge scene just in the nick of time. I paid approximately $225 (can't remember the exact price) for my Wicked Edge Go system but I see that they might not offer that model anymore. Their base model nowadays looks to be quite a bit more money.

The Go model has the basic features of the higher end models while still being compatible with most Wicked Edge upgrades.
Attachments
GO.jpg
Rick T.

Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

That's an awesome price for an awesome sharpener.!!
There are all sorts of aftermarket stones and strops available for that Wicked Edge; have you looked at the Gritomatic website?
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Working Edge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:10 pm That's an awesome price for an awesome sharpener.!!
There are all sorts of aftermarket stones and strops available for that Wicked Edge; have you looked at the Gritomatic website?
Mark
I have not and if I know myself like I think I do, I probably shouldn't. :lol: But I probably will. :mrgreen:
Rick T.

Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:15 pm
Working Edge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:10 pm That's an awesome price for an awesome sharpener.!!
Mark
I have not and if I know myself like I think I do, I probably shouldn't. :lol: But I probably will. :mrgreen:
I'm right there with ya.....
If you go there, bring your wallet....!!! :lol:
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:46 am
I believe the reports from people who say they’ve tried and failed at freehand sharpening can be attributed to attempting to learn on a stone too small. Not always the case, but certainly so in many cases. A stone at least 1-1/2 or 2 inches wide and 6 inches long (bigger is even better) is much better to learn on. Smaller (pocket) stones are handy for field touch up use after you have learned free hand, but not good for learning nor for serious sharpening tasks. Before giving up on free hand sharpening and spending money on a sharpening “system” with clamps and angle guides etc, try using a large stone.

Some people enjoy sharpening. I don’t dread it, but I don’t care to have to set up and use a ‘system”. I’m not into obtaining the “perfect” edge. Not anything wrong with that if that’s your thing. I just want a good edge for daily use. For my purposes my thumb tells me everything I need to know about the edge. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have been using the same Lansky sharpener since 1982. Obviously the original stones wore out and have been replaced with diamond Lansky stones. It has always worked great for me and produces a great edge with minimum effort. I would never even consider a powered sharpener. I have seen too many knives ruined by the "too much too fast" mentality.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Sharpening Forum”