Stropping an edge back ! ( On Leather )

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
old4570

Stropping an edge back ! ( On Leather )

Post by old4570 »

So I just cut 400 slices of rope on the Whetstone grinder edge .
Came inside , and then made this video ! ( Why ? ) ::shrug::

Well , simply ! Some one said this N that about stropping . ::facepalm::

So can you strop a edge back on pure leather = YES you can ! ::ds::
Obviously , there are variables !
Using some common sense ( is it common ? ) , you can strop an edge back if
A) Lets say you just dulled a fresh edge
B) Your bevel is in good condition
C) Keep stropping the edge back for as long as you can .
D) Only after the strop stops working get more aggressive with the edge maintenance .

I guess the goal her is to maintain the edge with as little material removal as possible .
I know , raise a bur , remove a bur and have a sharp knife . But you just removed - possibly - more steel than might have been needed .
I Have seen so many knives that have been overly aggressively sharpened , knives that have had their blades almost completely sharpened away to nothing . So maybe these were knives that got used at almost a commercial / industrial level ? ::woot:: In which case I can understand why 90% of the blade is missing . But if it's just a hunting knife that gets used a few times a year ? What the parking lot ?

but lets not go there ! Can you strop an edge back with just leather ::tu:: Yeah , you can . And if you do , then your knife might last longer than you do . It all comes down to proper edge maintenance .

Return to “Sharpening Forum”