Edge Pro Apex----60 Days In

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Working Edge

Edge Pro Apex----60 Days In

Post by Working Edge »

Been using my copy of the Edge Pro Apex 4 sharpening kit for 2 months now, and after some 100 knives and 30 pairs of scissors, thought I'd post an update.

I really, really am happy I made this purchase; spent about $500.00 for the Apex 4 kit with the scissors sharpening attachment, small knife attachment, the magnetic table insert and the slide guide.

The kit has paid for itself, and learning to use the kit has taught me a thing or two about my freehand sharpening habits, as well. Between the Apex kit, my copy of the WorkSharp Precision Adjust Sharpener and my freehand stones, I'm set up for signifcantly more accurate and efficent sharpening of just about any knife or tool that comes through my shop....more accurate and efficient than my freehand sharpening, that is.

Something to keep in mind when electing to use a precision rod-guided system....such a system opens a whole can of worms when it comes to discovering how inconsistent are the grinds on almost all factory knives, from the primary grind to the entire length of the edge bevels.

The consistent stone angle presented by a rod-guided system reveals the knife's inconsistencies, right quick, and screamingly obviously, compared to freehanding.

Fortunately, the grinding process is a lot of fun, (for me, anyway, ) but sometimes I will correct the major factory discrepancies on my freehand stones, followed by refinement with the Edge Pro (or WorkSharp Precision Adjust) in order to save wear and tear on my rod-guided stones.

The overall effect has been a major overhaul in my sharpening routine and a big improvement in the accuracy and precision of results on my customers' knives, which is a good result..!
I highly recommend the Edge Pro, and my hat's off to Ben Dale for a very well-designed, American-made product.
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Re: Edge Pro Apex----60 Days In

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Glad you like it and it is paying it's way. If you have been freehand sharpening and or wanting to learn this is the best guided system that i have seen in my opinion. ::tu:: Have a good weekend mate. :)

Return to “Sharpening Forum”