Stone ID?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Jwhiteker

Stone ID?

Post by Jwhiteker »

Can anyone help ID this stone I found at an estate sale? Some say hard Arkansas, some say Washita. I haven't lapped it, but it's in great shape and seems clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great forum you all have here.
Attachments
20220205_185058.jpg
FRJ

Re: Stone ID?

Post by FRJ »

The stone appears to me to be a Washita. That's a guess.
If I were to be able to handle it I might be more confident.
In my experience the Hard Arkansas stones don't have that mottled look.
If you are used to using stones you might get an idea of hardness by putting a knife edge across it.
That can be very telling.
If it is a Washita and it is flat then it may not have been used very much.
It looks like a nice stone.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

FRJ wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:17 am The stone appears to me to be a Washita. That's a guess.
If I were to be able to handle it I might be more confident.
In my experience the Hard Arkansas stones don't have that mottled look.
If you are used to using stones you might get an idea of hardness by putting a knife edge across it.
That can be very telling.
If it is a Washita and it is flat then it may not have been used very much.
It looks like a nice stone.

Welcome to the forum.
I should know how to operate this thing by now. ::facepalm::
Darn chinese spark plugs. ::woot::
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Jwhiteker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:32 am Can anyone help ID this stone I found at an estate sale? Some say hard Arkansas, some say Washita. I haven't lapped it, but it's in great shape and seems clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great forum you all have here.
Welcome, great first post. From the photo it looks suspiciously like a vintage Washita, possibly a Rosy Red, hard to tell without seeing it, but it is definitely a Washita from the picture, and more than likely a vintage. And the fact you got it at an estate sale gives more credence to it being a Vintage Rosy Red Washita. Very rare, collectable and so hard to find and a beautiful stone, they don't produce them any more, the modern Washita's don't even compare. They give a great edge on any carbon blade. Great find, and good luck to you, and yes i'm jealous. Look after it, but use it if you wish, they last forever. ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

Nice Find ::tu:: Welcome
Jwhiteker

Post by Jwhiteker »

Hey, thank you guys for the warm welcome and vote of confidence that it's either Washita or at least a quality stone. Everything this guy had was good stuff. Vintage Starret taps, punches, v-blocks and such. Also got this big JM6 stone as well. It seems a little newer than the other stuff, but I got a great deal on all of it.
Attachments
20220205_184705.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Jwhiteker wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:00 pm Hey, thank you guys for the warm welcome and vote of confidence that it's either Washita or at least a quality stone. Everything this guy had was good stuff. Vintage Starret taps, punches, v-blocks and such. Also got this big JM6 stone as well. It seems a little newer than the other stuff, but I got a great deal on all of it.
After seeing what he had, and you were able to purchase, there is no doubt in my mind that it is a Vintage Washita.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Is the larger stone a carborundum stone?

What dose JM6 mean?
Joe
Jwhiteker

Post by Jwhiteker »

FRJ wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:03 am Is the larger stone a carborundum stone?

What dose JM6 mean?
Guess it's a model number for a medium grit Crystolon stone from Norton from what I can tell.

https://www.acemart.com/kitchen/cutlery ... 1463685975
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you.
Well that's probably another nice stone. Not fancy but if you sharpen knives on it it will serve you well.

I have some old tools similar to the ones you are showing. They're nice quality tools.

The hammer is interesting. Can you show how it is secured at the top?
What material is the head made from?

Is that a bronze bar at the left?
And fortunate you, you have that most precise tool, the simple plumb bob. And it's on braided line. Perfect!

I always thought that new tools and learning a new technique of some kind was huge value.
Joe
Jwhiteker

Post by Jwhiteker »

FRJ wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:19 am
The hammer is interesting. Can you show how it is secured at the top?
What material is the head made from?

Is that a bronze bar at the left?
Hammer head is delrin material and appears to have been hand made as is the handle. It's held in place with just a traditional wedge, but I will probably pin it.

The bar is a solid hex piece of brass stock. It seems as though he'd used it as a drift. There is some light mushrooming on one end. HEAVY!

Thanks again for the help and encouragement.
Attachments
20220208_041024.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, jwhiteker.
A nice hammer and a nice group of tools.
Joe

Return to “Sharpening Forum”