Creating a bevel on an unsharpened factory blade

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Alien883

Re: Creating a bevel on an unsharpened factory blade

Post by Alien883 »

CluelessNick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:16 pm I have a few knives that have factory blades with absolutely no bevel set. The blades are duller than a butter knife. Came from the factory that way. I don't think that I have the skill to create a bevel with a stone without messing up the blade. Anyone use a sharpening system that I might be able to sharpen these blades with. Thanks for any help
Use a small belt sander, use a 400-600 grit belt on the slack part and give it a good bevel to start....from there it's ready for a super sharp edge!!
Alien883

Re: Creating a bevel on an unsharpened factory blade

Post by Alien883 »

CluelessNick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:16 pm I have a few knives that have factory blades with absolutely no bevel set. The blades are duller than a butter knife. Came from the factory that way. I don't think that I have the skill to create a bevel with a stone without messing up the blade. Anyone use a sharpening system that I might be able to sharpen these blades with. Thanks for any help
The only way to fix that is a belt sander on the slack side or a water cooled extreme fine stone wheel grinder...you will have to remove some blade material, so this method is best and fast...not saying this can't be done on a large course oil or water stone!

Return to “Sharpening Forum”