Italian street knife sharpener

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Italian street knife sharpener

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Interesting item for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/115524920032?h ... BMnraL__dg

Magic Lantern Slide ITALIAN KNIFE GRINDER C1890 PHOTO EDGAR SCAMELL LONDON

I don’t know anything about the item, which is apparently from an early pre-cinema slide show - thought it was an interesting picture. Quite a knife sharpening contraption he has there. ::nod::

Ken
Attachments
8B0E7FAE-A28D-4806-9D19-7894508CB7B0.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Italian street knife sharpener

Post by deo-pa »

It’s a very old service found in most every culture. Still found in India and probably elsewhere. If you Google terms such as “street vendor knife sharpener” and then view the images link you will see lots of photos and a few very old drawings / etchings that pre-date photography. They show a broad range of interesting contraptions. I think the subject would make a fascinating research project.

Dennis
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Ken, here is a book on 19th century Italian street peddlers, about the same time as your photo. Some nice old color prints showing them in action.

https://blogs.princeton.edu/cotsen/201 ... et-criers/

Dennis
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

There are a few guys I've seen doing this around here, at craft fairs, farmers markets, car shows. But their stuff is mounted in the back of a mini-van.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

When I was a kid in Baltimore City, there were all kinds of services and salesmen who wandered the alleys. They were, and still are called A-rabs, (emphasis on the "A"). They walked or drove horse-carts. I remember one man who carried his grinding wheel on his back in some folded way. Maybe it was foot pumped or hand cranked, I don't recall.
He would come down our alley usually in the morning and had a good sized school bell he would ring. That bell was loud and carried well down the alley. Our moms would line up to get the kitchen knives and scissors sharpened for, I'm guessing, 15 or 20 cents. This was around 1949-early fifties. My mom use to say a lot of the A-rabbers were G.I's. who couldn't re-adjust or find work.
The knife sharpener man was really a hit and probably did well among our crowded, row-house neighborhoods. $10 a day back then was a living, and no taxes! I remember he wore a coat and a colorful tie, and a slouch hat. Wow, that's going back some! J.O'.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Fascinating image. I’m wondering if it came from a bigger set? Maybe a virtual trip to Italy?

Here are some magic lanterns. Note the slide is slid in upside down. I think they burn kerosene like a lantern notice they have chimneys.

In the TV show “Hell on Wheels” there were two Irish brothers who had one and would charge admission to the show. The slides were of Ireland. The Irish workers would pay to sit in a tent for a viewing of their homeland.
F8EF3C19-4693-4A9B-B37B-BB246BA234F0.jpeg
EB942E83-29A0-4ED9-A582-5E7D8404A072.jpeg
eveled

Post by eveled »

35E97B2F-63FF-48C9-94EB-C69A31D5D1EE.jpeg
Happy Thanksgiving

Return to “Sharpening Forum”