Question About my Work Sharp

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Rich53

Question About my Work Sharp

Post by Rich53 »

Hi, everyone.

Sorry for what might sound like a rookie question, but I was wondering about the belts on my Work Sharp.

I recently ordered a new set of belts off Ebay that fit my Work Sharp. There are three colors-- blue, green and white. The blue is coarse, the green is medium and the white is fine.

I like my knives to be as sharp as possible, but I suspect I'm not alone in that opinion here. Which belt should I use for sharpening? I ask because my new green replacement belts feel a bit coarser than the ones that came from the manufacturer packed with the Work Sharp when I bought it. I know "coarse" is subjective to a degree, and I don't want to destroy my blades by using something too harsh.

Any input it appreciated! Thanks!
cudgee

Re: Question About my Work Sharp

Post by cudgee »

Rich53 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:04 am Hi, everyone.

Sorry for what might sound like a rookie question, but I was wondering about the belts on my Work Sharp.

I recently ordered a new set of belts off Ebay that fit my Work Sharp. There are three colors-- blue, green and white. The blue is coarse, the green is medium and the white is fine.

I like my knives to be as sharp as possible, but I suspect I'm not alone in that opinion here. Which belt should I use for sharpening? I ask because my new green replacement belts feel a bit coarser than the ones that came from the manufacturer packed with the Work Sharp when I bought it. I know "coarse" is subjective to a degree, and I don't want to destroy my blades by using something too harsh.

If you think it is too coarse and harsh, IT IS. Don't use it, or try it on a cheap knife that you won't miss if you do ruin it.
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

cudgee wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:42 am

If you think it is too coarse and harsh, IT IS. Don't use it, or try it on a cheap knife that you won't miss if you do ruin it.
That's the problem. The white fine belt doesn't seem nearly coarse enough!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rich53 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 am
cudgee wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:42 am

That's the problem. The white fine belt doesn't seem nearly coarse enough!
It's probably more a polishing belt.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I rarely use the green belts that are course on a knife, it takes off too much material. It’s great for sharpening a machete that is all dinged up but rarely a knife needs that much taken off. If a knife has lost all of the bevel then it might be smart to start with that but only then. Start out with the smoothest grit and see if that will sharpen it enough. If it doesn’t, then move up to a courser grit and then use the white belts for finishing the edge.
You will find that you will go through those fine grit belts very quickly, so have plenty on hand. You could also buy some other belts with different grits than the three that you have. You will find that sweet spot eventually. I find that now I use mainly the higher grits to maintain an edge and not to establish a new edge.
Be aware that the entire sharp edge might not get sharpened, if the full edge can’t be inserted in the V then you will end up with a portion at the bottom end that sticks out from the rest of the blade. Also the fine dust that comes off will scratch the blade when you draw it through next time. Best to tape the blade that comes in contact with the guide groove to avoid those scratches. These two issues have caused me to do most of my sharpening back on a manual sharpener. Good luck.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Yes, that seems to be the problem. One side seems to sharpen more while the other side seems dull
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Starting with the fine grit and working my way up seems the most obvious thing to do. Thanks!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Belt sanders are best used for sharpening machetes, mower blades and the like. They can ruin a pocket knife in a flash, and have indeed ruined many. Others should leave them at the store. Get and learn to use a by-hand sharpener. It’s not difficult and with diamond plate sharpeners, it’s fast. WorkSharp, and others, make some really good inexpensive by-hand sharpeners.

Now having said that, if you have a large number of knives to sharpen (like those who work on knives a lot), just want to do it fast, or otherwise insist on using a belt sander to sharpen, then use some low value “beater” knives for learning and practice. (Might be a good use for cheap Pakistani or Chicom knives, etc.) :roll: After you become proficient and able to obtain the edge you desire, then proceed to your good knives.

BTW I have an Onion model WorkSharp, given to me by my oldest son. One of those gifts you receive for which you have no real use. :lol: It sits on the bench in my shop and is used a couple of times a year to sharpen mower blades that I formerly sharpened using a bastard file. I have no need nor any urge to sharpen any pocket knife with it.

Sorry if you’re offended - that wasn’t my intent. Just trying to prevent others from wasting money on a belt sharpener they don’t need. Buy a good knife instead with the money you saved. JMO.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Rich is there a grit number on the back of the belts?

Eric
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

ea42 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:57 pm Rich is there a grit number on the back of the belts?

Eric
Let me check...
robpa

Post by robpa »

Ive only used the fine belt, unless Im honong up a REAL work knife.
robpa

Post by robpa »

Just checked mine. No, they do not have the grit stated.
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

ea42 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:57 pm Rich is there a grit number on the back of the belts?

Eric
Nope, no numbers.
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

I've been reading up on it a bit, and it seems the best advice is to never use anything coarser on pocket knives than a 600 grit belt.
pitonyak
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by pitonyak »

Pick your grit and then purchase say a pack of 20 belts at the grit of interest for general sharpening. I would need to verify, but I think that I used these particular belts on my original WorkSharp

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH05X3Y

Verify which version you use for the belt width and length. I think I used those belts with the original knife sharpener. The Ken Onion version uses a wider belt and the Grinding Edge Attachment that I usually use has yet another belt.

You probably want the finer belts. Keep your high grit belts such as 1500 grit after they are "dull" and apply honing compound to the belt and use that to polish your edge. That works great for me. I do own some honing belts for the grinding edge attachment, but I do not see any particular advantage to the one I own over simply using a worn-out high grit belt with honing compound.
pitonyak
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by pitonyak »

Rich53 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:58 am I've been reading up on it a bit, and it seems the best advice is to never use anything coarser on pocket knives than a 600 grit belt.
The grit that you use is specifically dependent on what you want to accomplish. The coarser the grit the more metal you remove. If your blade is in good shape but no longer hair whittling sharp and that is all you want to do is bring it back a bit, you want a very fine belt. A wood carver will strop their knife often and then rarely sharpen with something more aggressive. You can sharpen a fully dull knife with 600 grit, but it takes a long time to do it because you need to remove lots of metal. If you use a coarser grit, then you need the finer grits to remove the coarse scratches on the blade.

That said, some people actually like the coarse scratches because they help to rip while cutting. This is particularly true when cutting tomatoes. I can easily slice paper off a coarse grit if there is little to no burr, but, you will have a finer cleaner cut with fewer scratches if you polish that edge.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”