Sharpens best , any experiance ?

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
cbnutt

Sharpens best , any experiance ?

Post by cbnutt »

https://www.sharpensbest.com/ Just seen these on line and you tube , the guy makes it look great on the videos , but any experiance here with them ? Thanks .
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sharpens best , any experiance ?

Post by 1967redrider »

I like pull-through sharpeners for the kitchen knives that just need a little touch-up. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I will admit to having no experience with them but in my opinion they should be avoided entirely.

There are much better ways to sharpen a knife than by peeling off steel from the edge.
Even if you used gadget sharpeners. ::tounge::

As usual, I recommend using at least a 6 or 8 inch or larger stone with water to develop and edge and to keep in functional.
It takes some time to learn and get used to the technique but you will never regret this old school way. ::nod::
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:39 pm I will admit to having no experience with them but in my opinion they should be avoided entirely.

There are much better ways to sharpen a knife than by peeling off steel from the edge.
Even if you used gadget sharpeners. ::tounge::

As usual, I recommend using at least a 6 or 8 inch or larger stone with water to develop and edge and to keep in functional.
It takes some time to learn and get used to the technique but you will never regret this old school way. ::nod::
Joe, ::tu:: ::tu:: I will also throw in a vote for diamond plates, and learning free-hand sharpening applies there also. The small pocket-size and pull-through type sharpeners are best avoided, or throw one into your bug-out bag, hunting knapsack, or tackle box etc for in-the-field touch up use only. That’s about all they’re good for IMHO.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:25 pm Joe, ::tu:: ::tu:: I will also throw in a vote for diamond plates, and learning free-hand sharpening applies there also.
Ken
So true, Ken. The diamond plates are remarkable.
The reason I own one is because of your high praise of them some time back.
I think a beginning sharpener more quickly advance with one of these coarser stones. They would have to get past the cost.
Joe
Froe

Post by Froe »

Fully agree that diamond stones and freehand is the easiest way to go.
Froe
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

I know I’m continuing this thread offtrack from where it began but wished to comment nevertheless. Like most of you I’ve tried a bunch of sharpeners and sharpening methods including belts and wheels. So far for a hair poppin’ edge on knives my preference is to freehand on a diamond bench size sharpener followed by deburring with a leather strop. A natural or manmade stone works but takes longer on hard alloy steels. Thereafter a butcher’s steel hones the edge as needed until the next sharpening is required.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpen less, strop more. With a strop I have brought back edges that I never thought would get back into shape again without a stone and lots of work. I was wrong to hit the stone before the strop most of the time. I strop all my knives a few times maybe once a week or whenever they come up in the rotation. Maybe once or twice a year they get a few swipes on the diamond block. Or if I need a completely new edge, or an edge when there is none. Then it's regular stropping for the most part, for months at a time. If you get the right edge on a knife, you can strop regularly and each time it comes back to where it shaves hair. Your results may vary. Here's a home made strop with some green compound that I use daily or weekly. I don't hit the stones for months at a time or more.
Attachments
thumbnail_20230227_162059.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I am with you IM, stropping is about all I do to my knives unless I get one that has no edge, for a poorly sharpened edge. With my EDCs I just use a leather strap about 24 in long that I glued to a board about an inch wide and 3 in deep.
I have a piece of leather glued to each side and one side I use a course rouge called black magic, available from Jantz Supply. On the other side I use Flexcut Gold rouge. Mostly I use the Flexcut side as it's about all that is needed to bring an edge back to shaving sharp.

Flexcut Gold is the rouge sold by Flexcut for sharpening their wood carving tools. I have experimented with a lot of different sharpening compounds and I like Flexcut Gold the best.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

orvet wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:40 am Flexcut Gold is the rouge sold by Flexcut for sharpening their wood carving tools. I have experimented with a lot of different sharpening compounds and I like Flexcut Gold the best.
Thanks for this tip Dale. I haven’t heard of Flexcut before so I’ll have to give it a try.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Jeffinn wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:34 am
orvet wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:40 am Flexcut Gold is the rouge sold by Flexcut for sharpening their wood carving tools. I have experimented with a lot of different sharpening compounds and I like Flexcut Gold the best.
Thanks for this tip Dale. I haven’t heard of Flexcut before so I’ll have to give it a try.
Jeff
Jeff, i can second what Dale says. If i had to pick just one compound for using for the rest of my life it would be Flexcut. Is cheap and readily available and just works.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”