A couple of cigar jack cousins

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
bladebuddy

A couple of cigar jack cousins

Post by bladebuddy »

Most of us are aware that Winchester bought out Napanoch in 1919. We can compare these two that may have been made with the same equipment.

Both measure out at 4 1/4”. Both Nap blades have nail nicks while the Winchester main blade has a long pull and a swedge grind. All 4 blades are tang stamped and have snap. The reverse of the Winchester main blade is stamped with the number 2878. The Winchester catalog l have lists that number
as a Texas Jack
The knives are in such excellent condition that I worry they might be reproductions. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Steve B. :roll:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
Ivoryman

Re: A couple of cigar jack cousins

Post by Ivoryman »

bladebuddy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:44 pm Most of us are aware that Winchester bought out Napanoch in 1919. We can compare these two that may have been made with the same equipment.

Both measure out at 4 1/4”. Both Nap blades have nail nicks while the Winchester main blade has a long pull and a swedge grind. All 4 blades are tang stamped and have snap. The reverse of the Winchester main blade is stamped with the number 2878. The Winchester catalog l have lists that number
as a Texas Jack
The knives are in such excellent condition that I worry they might be reproductions. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Steve B. :roll:
My opinion is they look fabulous, doesn't look like recent bone, looks old and aged, and better than new bone. Beautiful pair you have and excellent specimens of the company and era. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:36 am
bladebuddy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:44 pm Most of us are aware that Winchester bought out Napanoch in 1919. We can compare these two that may have been made with the same equipment.

as a Texas Jack
My opinion is they look fabulous, doesn't look like recent bone, looks old and aged, and better than new bone. Beautiful pair you have and excellent specimens of the company and era. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you Ivoryman for your comments. Your opinion is valued on AAPK. AND THANKS for posting all the pictures of the Oregon show. ::ds::
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Look good to me.

Harold
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

They both look really great. For your sake, I hope they are authentic.
( I am no expert) There is such a large range of appearances of a knife
depending on how it was manufactured, stored, and used. I have bought
knifes that are only a few years old and they look like they went to hell
and back to earth several times.

Bob
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

A gorgeous duo! And there are probably some stamped "Keen Kutter" out there too. ::nod::👍 If I remember I'll look in Sellens' book tonight.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I doubt the Napanoch is real. The shield, nail pulls, grind lines and condition of the tangs suggest it is a newer altered knife. The prominence of the end pins to include the tail bolster is not a good sign. I've seen very few Napanoch cigars and none looked anything like this knife. Could be one of the knives that was assembled from parts after the original companies demise.

What are the dark spots at the mark side master blade tang of the Winchester knife?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The Napanoch is a fake, like Wayne said.
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

btrwtr wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:47 pm I doubt the Napanoch is real. The shield, nail pulls, grind lines and condition of the tangs suggest it is a newer altered knife. The prominence of the end pins to include the tail bolster is not a good sign. I've seen very few Napanoch cigars and none looked anything like this knife. Could be one of the knives that was assembled from parts after the original companies demise.

What are the dark spots at the mark side master blade tang of the Winchester knife?
Looks like welded blade.
Roger

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”