Real or not Real???

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
Winchester M21

Real or not Real???

Post by Winchester M21 »

2917 stamped on blade and measures 3 5/8” closed.
F6E87FF3-1539-4BCB-9CE5-162CC18D909E.jpeg
AA31D2FD-9B8E-4960-A4BE-5A0F52315729.jpeg
2F8137D7-9298-426A-81DB-9BE014E1457C.jpeg
660A0B14-AF7B-40D8-8C8D-B4DC59AF4B46.jpeg
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn
rexstubbins

Re: Real or not Real???

Post by rexstubbins »

The frame looks real to me but it looks like it may have been apart at one time based on the pivot pin and the mismatched color to the bolster. Almost looks like they put different blade in but the blades look real. Perhaps frame and blades are original Winchester but from different patterns?
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

According to Ron Stewart's book, a 2917 should be a dog leg jack so I'm guessing the blades and frame were joined later in life. ___Dave
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Sargents shows the 2917 to be a 3" long serpentine jack.

This measures 3 5/8" and the pattern number doesn't look right to me. I think it was added??? Also don't look like Winchester bone jigging??

I still like it though!! Kinda cool. I think I'll keep it and nickname it Bastard!! :lol:
Shawn
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Found this on the net. I believe this one is a correct 2917???? What do ya'll think??
2917.jpg
29172.jpg
29173.jpg
Shawn
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Isn't the OP knife a dogleg? ::shrug::

I like the looks of it, real or not. ::super_happy::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The bone on the OP knife does not look like any Winchester bone that I have ever seen. Of course that may or may not mean much, bone can vary a lot in appearance especially when pocket worn.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

1967redrider wrote:Isn't the OP knife a dogleg? ::shrug::
Looks like a swayback to me. I know next to nothing about Winchester knives, so can’t add anything else to the discussion. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

knifeaholic wrote:The bone on the OP knife does not look like any Winchester bone that I have ever seen. Of course that may or may not mean much, bone can vary a lot in appearance especially when pocket worn.
I agree Steve.

The guy I bought this knife from had another one that was an EO and one blade had USA on it. We were thinking it was a Kingston USA knife with one blade replaced with a Winchester blade. It had the same bone on it. I'm thinking this could be the same kinda deal.

Still a cool knife and it is in my pocket as we speak!!

Thank you everyone for your input so far!! That's why I think this forum is going to be priceless for us Winchester guys!!

Shawn
Shawn

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”