Keen Kutters Made by Winchester

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Keen Kutters Made by Winchester

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Bilbo wrote:Ken -
The fact that Winchester stopped production of knives, then restarted might be linked to the observation that early Winchesters were stamped on all blades, while others knives were only stamped on the master blades.
B
Per Goins,
“Of the old Winchester knives, there were two grades. The first was marked on all blades, and was very well built. In fact in 1922 Winchester and Robeson were considered to be the best knives in the world. After Western Cartridge purchased the firm in 1931 the high quality continued on the knives marked on all blades. It was after 1931 that the second type of Winchester knife was introduced. This knife was marked on the master blade only. It is not of the same high quality as the other knives”.
My interpretation of this is that after 1931 Winchester made both a high quality knife marked on all blades, and a lower quality knife marked only on the master blade.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bilbo

Post by Bilbo »

Thanks Ken! That’s good information.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
Bilbo wrote:Ken -
The fact that Winchester stopped production of knives, then restarted might be linked to the observation that early Winchesters were stamped on all blades, while others knives were only stamped on the master blades.
B
Per Goins,
“Of the old Winchester knives, there were two grades. The first was marked on all blades, and was very well built. In fact in 1922 Winchester and Robeson were considered to be the best knives in the world. After Western Cartridge purchased the firm in 1931 the high quality continued on the knives marked on all blades. It was after 1931 that the second type of Winchester knife was introduced. This knife was marked on the master blade only. It is not of the same high quality as the other knives”.
My interpretation of this is that after 1931 Winchester made both a high quality knife marked on all blades, and a lower quality knife marked only on the master blade.

Ken
I wonder if any of these single stamped Winchesters were shipped to E.C. Simmons? I'll have to check to see if any of my Keen Kutters only have 1 blade stamped. ::hmm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

I think I can agree with the thinking that better quality knives were stamped on all blades.
This sleeveboard jack is stamped on all blades. I can’t verify date of manufacture but my guess is 1920s. The fit and finish is quite good and the master blade still has alligator snap.
If anyone has two pen blades stamped “E. C. Simmons St. Louis” for sale or trade I’m interested in making a deal.
Thanks Steve B.

Red rider I only have 5 Keen Kutters but all are multi blade with every blade stamped.
Attachments
7433A56D-6307-4C4E-B761-85E4A0A1238C.jpeg
A3F8F8C2-81D5-4C25-943E-D5D89B25B5AE.jpeg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

bladebuddy wrote:I think I can agree with the thinking that better quality knives were stamped on all blades.
This sleeveboard jack is stamped on all blades. I can’t verify date of manufacture but my guess is 1920s. The fit and finish is quite good and the master blade still has alligator snap.
If anyone has two pen blades stamped “E. C. Simmons St. Louis” for sale or trade I’m interested in making a deal.
Thanks Steve B.

Red rider I only have 5 Keen Kutters but all are multi blade with every blade stamped.
Bladebuddy, that's a sweet old knife and I love the Jumbo Sleeveboard pattern. I was fortunate enough to find one of these a few years ago.
Attachments
1436832635248.jpg
1436832635248.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 5976 times
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Red rider thanks for posting your sleeveboard picture. Looks like the two pen blades were of equal size when new.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Nice knives bladebuddy and redrider!!

I like the old rosewood and ebony handles knives!
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”