Not my favorite pattern

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
OSCAR

Not my favorite pattern

Post by OSCAR »

Came across a knife today that I had to get. While I have no liking for sunfish, I had to buy this one. An NOS Winchester. Rogers bone scales. Originally purchased at Queen factory bankruptcy auction, so reasonable assumption the Queen mad it for them and it never got delivered.
Attachments
829DA2D5-BA6F-4134-8568-6AFA001509D5.jpeg
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Steve Warden

Re: Not my favorite pattern

Post by Steve Warden »

Nice knife!
That's what separates us accumulators from you collectors.
I'm not a fan of the sunfish/toenail, either. I wouldn't have bought it no matter the value.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Steve: I agree. That pattern is useless and doesn’t appeal to me. But I do love the scales. It’s the only thing that pattern is good for. It shows off great scales. Even then I had to think about it a lot. NOS in box, Rogers bone,made by Queen. I hate the sunfish/toenail but I couldn’t let this one go.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I'm glad you are over coming your prejudice. I'm not a lover of them either but there are some, like that one that would be hard to pass up. Great addition. ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Doglegg. I really like this one but it may be another 30 years until I see another I cannot live without. :)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 pm That pattern is useless and doesn’t appeal to me. But I do love the scales. It’s the only thing that pattern is good for.----------------
I hate the sunfish/toenail but I couldn’t let this one go.
::woot:: :lol:

I carry this time honored old pattern from time to time in some old knives I have.
I don't find them useless and as flat as they are they carry quite conveniently.
I'm quite proud of the old ones I have and very happy to pack them. ::nod::
Joe
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I guess I have a mostly unrelated question. Why do you call it Rogers bone? I guess people have started doing this for some reason, but the Rogers Bone Company has not made bone handles for knives for decades, and none of this stuff I have been seeing remotely resembles Rogers Bone. Just curious. Are some of the cutlery companies really calling it that? They did make more than one pattern of jigging and color back in the day, but none of it looked like this (I don't think).
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Toungueriver, I could be wrong but both the color, and the jigging looks very much like Rogers. I believe Rogers bone company went out of business in the 60’s. It is possible that knife companies purchased large amounts of scales, and could produce knives with these handles for years later.
I may be wrong about it being Rogers but it looks like it may be. If I am mistaken, it still is a beautiful handle on this one. I like the Winterbottom better than any, but it’s getting hard to find and pricey when you find it.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

My Grandfather always carried a sunfish,He carried it in His overall bib pocket.
I still have His last sunfish, and carry it in My overall bib pocket.
They are a very handy knife. ::tu::
Tim
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

The Winchester is really too nice for an EDC. Now, after reading some of the comments, I may have to buy a cheaper one to try it out as an EDC. I never thought of a sunfish as a good pattern for edc, but I am eager to give it a try.
OSCAR
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Strange, I thought I replied to this post with a link to the Winchester forum? ::hmm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I like the pattern, I have four old Sun Fish. I usually call them Toe Nails. I don't think the original Winchester Company ever made a Sun Fish. I've not seen one in person or a picture.

Harold
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Harold:
The dealer I purchased it from bought several cases of the same knife at the Queen bankruptcy auction in Pennsylvania. I presume that Queen made them for Winchester. Also, the really heavy back spring and very loud snap is typical of a Queen made knife. Oscar
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Really great example you got there Oscar, one of my favorite patterns ( :mrgreen: ::poke:: ). To bad the old pocket bookie can't afford one right now, to many other knives on the list :roll: . But I "swear" i'll pick me up one, one of these days.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 pm Steve: I agree. That pattern is useless and doesn’t appeal to me. But I do love the scales. It’s the only thing that pattern is good for. It shows off great scales. Even then I had to think about it a lot. NOS in box, Rogers bone,made by Queen. I hate the sunfish/toenail but I couldn’t let this one go.
..my grandfather used to whittle with a Camillus sunfish, but he was so big it fit his hands perfectly!!..if I only knew where it was today???............... ::shrug:: ...............
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Camillus is one of my favorite knives. I’ve never seen a Camillus sunfish. Sounds like an awesome knife. It may not be my favorite pattern but I’d love to own one. Hope you find the one that’s misplaced.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I do not think an elephant toe or sunfish is useless to carry. I find they practically disappear in my pocket sine they’re so thin. And they feel good in my hand too. I like em.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......I've got 2 Camillus sunfish, rogers bone, I need to sell one of them!!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ....................

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”