HJ

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

HJ

Post by stockman »

Friday, I meet up M21 aka Shawn and his father. We had a short but nice time talking about old knives. Before I we left Shawn gifted me this nice old Winchester. I appreciate it very much. Harold
Attachments
D927B02F-665E-40AC-B247-FFC3439151B4.jpeg
FRJ

Re: HJ

Post by FRJ »

That was a very nice gesture of a very nice knife.
Great story!
Joe
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

stockman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 pm Friday, I meet up M21 aka Shawn and his father. We had a short but nice time talking about old knives. Before I we left Shawn gifted me this nice old Winchester. I appreciate it very much. Harold
Kind gesture, cool knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ditto, very nice gesture and a nice knife. I might be wrong, but at first glance that looks like it might be a Napanoch punch. Does it have a patent date 1908 or something like that stamped on the tang? I have an old Winchester cattle knife and it has a Nap punch. I have been told that in the years immediately after Winchester bought Nap (I think it was 1919 but I will have to check), they used up the supply of old Nap parts in making the early Winchester knives. So that would make your new knife extra cool! ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Most old Winchesters have Napanoch patent punches since Winchester bought Napanoch and Walden knife companies and moved the equipment and many employees to the newly formed Winchester cutlery factory. Dennis Ellingston just did a neat article in Knife Magazine on punches.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

stockman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 pm Friday, I meet up M21 aka Shawn and his father. We had a short but nice time talking about old knives. Before I we left Shawn gifted me this nice old Winchester. I appreciate it very much. Harold
Harold,that is a nice knife!Shawn is a good man. ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

It does have the pat # on the punch. Shawn is a good guy. His father was a fun guy. He is my age, old.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Holy cow, look at that punch blade. You really hit the jack pot. Better buy your buddy a beer or a couple of of six packs.
Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Harold (stockman) is the guy that introduced me to Winchester knives. I love anything Winchester and have been hooked every since!!
Harold has done me more favors than I could repay! His friendship means a lot to me and it all started when I bought a couple knives from him on AAPK!!
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”