Winchester pocket knife no model number, Or origin

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
drs1231

Winchester pocket knife no model number, Or origin

Post by drs1231 »

I have a Winchester teardrop jack pocket knife. There is the name Winchester etched in blade and tang. There is no model number or place of mfg.. it appears to be very well made. The Main blade is long pull. I cannot understand why there is no other information on it, Any ideas?
Attachments
Front has only Winchester on blade and tang
Front has only Winchester on blade and tang
Back has no stamping
Back has no stamping
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Winchester pocket knife no model number, Or origin

Post by Desert Golfer »

Counterfeit. Made in Germany or China, Pakistan or somewhere other than here in the USA.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Desert Golfer wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:52 pm Counterfeit. Made in Germany or China, Pakistan or somewhere other than here in the USA.
I agree. Probably a foreign made fake that Winchester had nothing to do with.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
drs1231

Post by drs1231 »

Thank you, I looked through several of my knife books and couldn’t find anything like it. It does appear to be well made.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

At first glance I thought it might be one of the "Winchester" knives made by Queen for Blue Grass. But, mine all have pattern and date tang stamps. And mine all had celluloid outgassing in various states of progression, which I quickly corrected.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

This knife has outgassing celluloid.
I have never seen celluloid on a knife made in China or Pakistan, but I suppose it could be made in Germany.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

That tang stamp looks like the ones that were made in Germany during the 70s or 80s. Germany was stamped on back of blade and could easily be wiped off. I have had and see a lot of the folding hunter ones. They have an engraving on the blade. There are some jack knife ones but not has common as the folding hunter. If you search winchester folding hunter on the AAPK store you will see one that has sold along with some jack knives. Yours look like it has some German cell handles. They are either counterfeit or reproductions I dont know. My theory is that Parker had them made.
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

You don't have to look any further than the etch.Not an old one,or licensed reproduction, ::td::
Roger
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

herbva wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:34 pm And mine all had celluloid outgassing in various states of progression, which I quickly corrected.
How did you correct it?
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I took them apart, removed all the rust and outgassing damage, and reassembled them with new handles. Unfortunately, most of them had some residual pitting that I could not remove. Very time consuming and probably not worth the effort.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Clear. I was hoping to find out a method for stabilizing or preserving celluloid. :-|
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Vit_213 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:15 pm Clear. I was hoping to find out a method for stabilizing or preserving celluloid. :-|

Currently I don't think there is such a thing. But, chemically speaking, wouldn't that be possible? ::shrug::
Anyone know of other stabilization processes? The only thing I can think of is stabilizing Ethanol. I wonder what would happen if you soaked a celluloid knife in Stabil?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:29 pm Currently I don't think there is such a thing. But, chemically speaking, wouldn't that be possible? ::shrug::
I do not know, and therefore I have to pass by many beautiful knives for ebay. Also, I am simply enraged by the fact that in the 90s the owners of Blue Grass could not but know about these features of celluloid ::censored:: .
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Vit_213 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:43 pm
1967redrider wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:29 pm Currently I don't think there is such a thing. But, chemically speaking, wouldn't that be possible? ::shrug::
I do not know, and therefore I have to pass by many beautiful knives for ebay. Also, I am simply enraged by the fact that in the 90s the owners of Blue Grass could not but know about these features of celluloid ::censored:: .

Look at the Fight'N Roosters and Bulldogs too. They're gorgeous until they grenade and take out your collection.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”