Winchester teardrop jack

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Winchester teardrop jack

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Winchester 3 1/2" bone handled jack recently for a few bucks. The 2 reasons it was cheap were, 1 it was at one time really rusty and in bad shape, and 2 someone already tried to fix it. It evidently had a LOT of rust on it and may have been rusted tight. The blades are relatively full, so it could not have been used much before suffering the damage. Then someone took the belt sander and / or buffer to it to try to remove all the pits. When they saw that there would be nothing left of the blades, they gave up. Anyway I now have an old Winchester teardrop jack to use as an EDC. On the pile side of the master blade, a pattern number can be seen which appears to be 995. When I bought it I thought maybe of working on it to try to improve the gouges in the blades, then I thought NAH, use it as is. The bone handle material is still in good shape, but the iron bolsters have deep pitting. The blades are tight and have good snap and will probably sharpen up nice, so an EDC it will be.
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4320.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Winchester teardrop jack

Post by doglegg »

OC a great old horse to put back in harness. Lovely bones. Congrats. ::nod:: ::nod::
rea1eye

Re: Winchester teardrop jack

Post by rea1eye »

O.C. you brought that knife back to a good life Glad to see it
in a rotation. Or if you see a young guy who needs a knife-
there you go!

Bob

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”