Help finding the model of this Winchester

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
Spencer

Help finding the model of this Winchester

Post by Spencer »

Hello every one, I was wondering if you could help me to find the model number for this Winchester knife that I recently purchased, as there is no visible number I can see. I think it is the model 4950 and the date of the knife is from around 1919-1942 but I'm not sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
tempImageboTI4p.jpg
tempImagenVZW1M.jpg
tempImage2Ud7f1.jpg
tempImageUWJpli.jpg
tempImagemLs4eV.jpg
tempImagebR7DFs.jpg
tempImagecTtRRJ.jpg
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Help finding the model of this Winchester

Post by Desert Golfer »

4950 is the correct pattern number for your knife Spencer. Number is located on the tang of main blade. I noticed that your knife is missing the heraldic shield also. ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_3210 (2).JPG
IMG_3209 (3).JPG
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

4950 is 3 3/4" 4901 is 3 3/8" long, they both look alike except the book shows the lined bolsters on the 4901.
info from Sargent's 3rd Edition.

Harold
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice knife! I didn't know Winchester had offered a Scout pattern.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Desert Golfer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:51 am 4950 is the correct pattern number for your knife Spencer. Number is located on the tang of main blade. I noticed that your knife is missing the heraldic shield also. ::shrug::
So because my knife is missing the heraldic shield, does that mean that it is counterfeit, or that the handles were replaced at one point? Because there is no number on the tang of the main blade.
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

Your knife was likely made during the latest period of Winchester Knife manufacturing. They made Pocketknives from 1919 to 1942. Winchester eliminated stamping pattern numbers and pinned shields towards the end of production to save money. Still a Winchester but most Winchester collectors are interested in the knives made during the 1920`s. 8) Mike
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

This is jack knife Ben, Just checking, how many more Winchesters have you found with the double fluted punch blade?😏
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

I have 5 Total with the napanoch punch. Mike
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Desert Golfer wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:46 pm Your knife was likely made during the latest period of Winchester Knife manufacturing. They made Pocketknives from 1919 to 1942. Winchester eliminated stamping pattern numbers and pinned shields towards the end of production to save money. Still a Winchester but most Winchester collectors are interested in the knives made during the 1920`s. 8) Mike
Thank you, that was very helpful. ::groove::

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”