Winchester trademark Knives set of 8 knives

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
kells14u2

Winchester trademark Knives set of 8 knives

Post by kells14u2 »

Hi, I have in my possession a Winchester Salesman Sample of 8 knives in a wooden case glass top with key. I'm not sure if I should call it a salesman sample or not? Has anyone seen this set before? Is it worth a significant amount? I have researched, cannot find anything in regards to this set.
Thank You your knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Winchester knife set
Winchester knife set
centennialknives
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Winchester trademark Knives set of 8 knives

Post by centennialknives »

It looks to be a store display, so calling it a salesman's sample is about right. Looks like it has some age -- 30, 40 years or so? I'm sure others will be able to pinpoint more accurate date / price.

I can't speak to value, but for sure I'm in love with it! Great find!
Robert
Washington, IL (near Peoria)
"Always keep an edge on your knife 'cause a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life." - Corb Lund
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This knife in particular makes me think these are Blue Grass/Queen reproductions from the early 1990's. Very cool display. Price and Zalesky list these in their 15th Edition. ::nod::

*Edit- and ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Attachments
Screenshot_20230228-095904.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Traditionally a "salesmanship sample" is a knife that a cutlery company traveling sales rep used to show potential buyers (a hardware store owner or similar) in hopes they would order some knives like it to sell in their retail establishment. It's a widely overused term now. I would call the OP example a retail display, which would likely be in a retailer's store where customers could tell the sales clerk which knife they want to buy.

I agree the knives appear to be the modern authorized reproductions produced by Blue Grass.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
robpa

Post by robpa »

They are bluegrass. I have all of those. Valued in the $100 range. Maybe a bit more now. the brass knife is probably around $65-$75? Probably add for the fitted display box.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I agree with Ken, store display, not salesman's sample.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for showing the set and for following up. You’re welcome to sell knives here but to do so you need to buy a premium membership here. Memberships are not expensive and the proceeds help keep this place up and running. You can learn more about membership cost and benefits by clicking on “Support AAPK” in the box on the upper right of this page. ::tu:: After buying a membership items for sale should be posted in the Knife Commerce forum here. viewforum.php?f=49

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”