Leather treatments, cleaners, preservatives

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
steve99f

Leather treatments, cleaners, preservatives

Post by steve99f »

I have products from Pecard's and Obenauf that I use to clean or treat my leather items like sheaths, holsters, belts, etc. The Pecard's looks like a beeswax compound, yellowish in color and waxy feeling. i have an leather oil from Obenauf as well as a paste. Both contain Propolis and beeswax and natural preserving oils. I am pleased with both lines of product but wondering if one is measurably better or measurably detrimental to leather items such as sheaths, etc.

Or is there something else that's earned a good reputation?
steve99f
cudgee

Re: Leather treatments, cleaners, preservatives

Post by cudgee »

steve99f wrote:I have products from Pecard's and Obenauf that I use to clean or treat my leather items like sheaths, holsters, belts, etc. The Pecard's looks like a beeswax compound, yellowish in color and waxy feeling. i have an leather oil from Obenauf as well as a paste. Both contain Propolis and beeswax and natural preserving oils. I am pleased with both lines of product but wondering if one is measurably better or measurably detrimental to leather items such as sheaths, etc.

Or is there something else that's earned a good reputation?
What ever works for you. ::tu:: I have been using Leather-Mate on all my leather goods for 2 years, sheath's, shoes,boots, gloves, belts, it is good stuff, Google it. Seems expensive, but you only use a very small amount so lasts a long time, i am still using my jar which i bought 2 years ago and still plenty left. Just a thought. Have a good weekend. :)
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Thanks cudgee! None of these products exactly inexpensive but I don't mind paying for a good product. And as you note they do last a bit for me too.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Another thread on the same topic. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51259&hilit=Bick

Hope this helps. Lots of recommendations though - maybe just more confusing but it seems there are a lot of good products available. ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”