Pouch knife sheath by a kid.

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Rossr

Pouch knife sheath by a kid.

Post by Rossr »

I have 2 boys both are in scouts. My youngest started this year and with Corona they had no summer camp. Well he wanted to work on leatherwork merit badge. Usually done at summer camp. But I am a counselor and having all we need we hit the shop. He decided to make a pouch sheath for a schrade carving knife. I helped him but he did the majority including making a pattern and layout, cutting, rivet and snap setting and even sewed on the sewing machine. He also did the stamping. Should have been a shade bigger but a nice result. Figured you folks would like a look. Enjoy

Ross
Attachments
20200820_111636.jpg
20200820_111619.jpg
20200820_111608.jpg
20200820_111601.jpg
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pouch knife sheath by a kid.

Post by doglegg »

Badge worthy. Excellent job. ::tu:: ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Looks like he did a fine job to me! Well done!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

First attempt, and that's one of the best sheaths I've ever seen.

I need to start making my own. My problem is that I don't have enough patience. One, I'm going to need to buy my own leather and hardware--the premade kits (and in fact, one of the sheath kits I made is an official BSA kit a buddy of mine, a Scoutmaster handed me on a camping trip, and I threw it together that evening) tend to have inferior leather and hardware. I have a generic sheath for a 5" blade fixed blade, and I have probably a dozen different fixed blades that fit the dimensions of the sheath, and none have skinny handles (and some, very oversized); and the retention/handle strap is too long for all of them and the knife fits loosely. At present, I use it for a USN MKI Deck Knife by Camillus, and the retention strap does not work.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That is a nice job, he should be proud. He might enjoy a livelihood in the future, working w/ leather. He could move up from sheaths to car seat covers or motorcycle seat covers. I see the guys on the car shows that do magic w/ car interiors when they customize interiors and they all seem to be busier than they can handle. It might be interesting to get him to watch one of those shows and show him how this new found skill can be used in the future.
The skills they learn in scouting can be life long lessons that you use over and over in life.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very nice job and a hobby that can be very useful, in the future!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

doglegg wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 am Badge worthy. Excellent job. ::tu:: ::tu::
I'll pass along your compliment!
Colonel26 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:02 am Looks like he did a fine job to me! Well done!
thanks!
cody6268 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:03 am First attempt, and that's one of the best sheaths I've ever seen.

I need to start making my own. My problem is that I don't have enough patience. One, I'm going to need to buy my own leather and hardware--the premade kits (and in fact, one of the sheath kits I made is an official BSA kit a buddy of mine, a Scoutmaster handed me on a camping trip, and I threw it together that evening) tend to have inferior leather and hardware. I have a generic sheath for a 5" blade fixed blade, and I have probably a dozen different fixed blades that fit the dimensions of the sheath, and none have skinny handles (and some, very oversized); and the retention/handle strap is too long for all of them and the knife fits loosely. At present, I use it for a USN MKI Deck Knife by Camillus, and the retention strap does not work.
kind words! Hes done other stuff in leather and it helps having a leather shop at his disposal too!

You can make a nice sheath with some basic hand tools and patience! I'm not overly patient so if I can do it anyone can!

I find I have to have the knife on hand to make a proper fitting sheath. The generic ones as you pointed out dont seem to fit right. Making a good pattern with the knife will yield good results imo.

You can hand stitch, and with a groover, overstitch wheel, edge beveler, 2 needles waxed thread and leather and a utility knife u can make a sheath.

Course if you arent careful you end up like me with a full shop of leather stuff...cause I started like above.

Give it a shot

Ross

Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:23 am That is a nice job, he should be proud. He might enjoy a livelihood in the future, working w/ leather. He could move up from sheaths to car seat covers or motorcycle seat covers. I see the guys on the car shows that do magic w/ car interiors when they customize interiors and they all seem to be busier than they can handle. It might be interesting to get him to watch one of those shows and show him how this new found skill can be used in the future.
The skills they learn in scouting can be life long lessons that you use over and over in life.
Good food for thought here. Couldnt agree more about life skills and scouting. Thanks
Doc B wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:27 am Very nice job and a hobby that can be very useful, in the future!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Doc

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 am Badge worthy. Excellent job. ::tu:: ::tu::
Yes sir!.... definitely!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Nice job on the sheath, and that carving knife is not bad for the price. I have a friend that bought one and asked me to sharpen it for her, it is a little tricky to sharpen.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Nice job Scout! You can have that fun hobby for the rest of your life! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”