Pocket pouch sheath

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
cudgee

Re: Pocket pouch sheath

Post by cudgee »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:47 pm
cudgee wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:14 am IMAG0045.jpg

This is the leather pouch i was talking about. I use it all the time, it will outlast me.
That watch pouch is very neat. What a great idea. I’ve never seen such in this side of the pond. I’m assuming you’d wear that on your belt?
Yes, it is to protect the watch from dust, rain, scratching and just being damaged while been worn while working. It just slides onto any belt size. 8)
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I found some US Calvary pouches that the stud is underneath. I think this might help against accidental opening. I agree the idea sharing is priceless.
Bill
Attachments
Screenshot_20200915-174450_Google.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

thankgod4rkids wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:45 pm I found some US Calvary pouches that the stud is underneath. I think this might help against accidental opening. I agree the idea sharing is priceless.
Bill
Great post and even better find. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: I love it, the older leather gets the better it gets. :D :D :D . The idea sharing, is why this joint is priceless. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Really liking this post about leather pouches and slips. Would love to hear what everyone uses to treat and condition their leather products. A lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people on the forum. I am posting the products that i use, the large yellow bottle has been manufactured here for over 100 years, they must be doing something right to have lasted that long.
IMAG0300.jpg
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

I tried everything and anything. I have a 40 year old belt that has had only neatsfoot oil. Not the greatest finish but the leather has lasted. This knife sheath from my wife's uncle was treated with 100% beeswax heated to soak in. Then polished. I've only reapplied once at about 10 years. Its been about 10 again but I haven't been deer hunting in a long time so it hasn't been out. I'm pretty much a natural leather fan these days so glycerin saddle soap on some things.
Bill
Attachments
20200915_235214.jpg
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

I also have used many different products. I seem to gravitate towards saddle soap for cleaning and polishing. I also like pecards as a general protectant.

I've used snow proof leather conditioner, neats foot oil(tends to darken the leather imo). Beeswax, beeswax and neatsfoot oil mixed. And lots of other products over the years.

Everyone seems to have a favorite and the important thing is you keep your leather oiled so it doesnt dry out or dry rot.
Attachments
20200916_160005.jpg
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rossr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 pm I also have used many different products. I seem to gravitate towards saddle soda for cleaning and polishing. I also like placards as a general protectant.

I've used snow proof leather conditioner, neats foot oil(tends to darken the leather imo). Beeswax, beeswax and neatsfoot oil mixed. And lots of other products over the years.

Everyone seems to have a favorite and the important thing is you keep your leather oiled so it doesnt dry out or dry rot.
You are so correct. If you look after leather it will last a lifetime. And everyone does have their own methods, and i am of the old opinion, as long as it works for you. ::tu::
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Rossr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 pm I also have used many different products. I seem to gravitate towards saddle soda for cleaning and polishing. I also like placards as a general protectant.

I used to use a mink oil based snow proof and really liked it. Haven't seen it around for a while. I have boots and belts that are 25 to 35 years old. I'm getting concerned though all the boot/shoe repair shops are closing up around here. Nobody to take over the business and I think business is down because the younger generation doesn't think of shoes and leather goods lasting for decades.
Bill
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's a great looking combo, Ross!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Doc B wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 pm That's a great looking combo, Ross!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks doc
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”