Exploring options for a new sheath

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Dan In MI

Exploring options for a new sheath

Post by Dan In MI »

A few hours ago, I ordered two Case Copperlocks: one destined for the cabinet, another destined for a sheath. However, Case doesn't seem to offer black sheaths, and I've not been impressed with the off-the-shelf options I've seen up to this point. So I'm thinking I may have one custom-made, or make one myself.

I do have access to a sewing machine, a Brother ST371HD. Brother claims it can handle leather. Is that a valid claim, or would I need a more robust machine? Would hand stitching (never mind that I'm terrible at it) be a viable option? Or, considering my lack of skill, would I be better off having one made or searching farther and wider for an off-the-shelf option?

Thanks to any and all for the help.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
mrwatch

Re: Exploring options for a new sheath

Post by mrwatch »

Regarding the sewing machine, it may be good for thinner or softer leather craft type work. New leather is measured with a gauge and sold in pounds rating so two pieces together of proper thickness it may not handle it. There is several YouTube videos on how to hand stitch leather and proper needles. You may source black material and a pattern but most will used plain and dye it.
TPK

Post by TPK »

::hmm:: If it were me, (I have Zero sewing skills) I'd search up & down the net for an off the shelf fit.
If that didn't work..., I'd take the measurements along with a picture of how it should look finished and go somewhere where they do leatherwork and have one made. And if there were no leather shops around, I'd try to find one online where I could order one according to my picture and measurements. Just my thoughts on the subject Dan. ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I agree, the sewing machine you mentioned may be capable of sewing leather, but only thin suedes, pigskin and elk. The leather you would require for a sheath would be much too heavy and would require a harness type stitcher. Hand sewing leather is not that difficult, but does require that a hole be pre punched with a very sharp awl that is perpendicular to the surface and evenly spaced between stitches. Those are the two things that affect the appearance of the finished product the most. The harness stitch is the much preferred method for strength, which is basically one long thread with a needle on each end which is "woven" back and forth alternating thru the pre punched holes. As an alternative, I have pictured a device most commonly called a "speedy stitcher" which can be purchased at many hobby type stores and even some hardware stores. It would do an acceptable job on leather, but the two requirements of having a pre punched hole evenly spaced would still need to be done before stitching with it. If the sheath you are looking for is not readily available, and making your own does not appeal to you, then your best bet may be having someone make one up to your specs.
IMG_4254.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My recommendation is to simply look at posts by others in this same “Knife related leather work forum”. There are several “pro’s” who have posted pictures of their work, and at least one who has sold his work in the AAPK stores. Pick out one or two and send a PM requesting a quote for what you want. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I'm glad I didn't try to stitch three pieces of cowhide together with my sewing machine! Case does have a couple of options that would work if they were dyed black, and I'll look around the leather-work subforum a little more. Thanks to all for the replies.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
thankgod4rkids

Post by thankgod4rkids »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:53 pm I'm glad I didn't try to stitch three pieces of cowhide together with my sewing machine! Case does have a couple of options that would work if they were dyed black, and I'll look around the leather-work subforum a little more. Thanks to all for the replies.
Did you find a sheath? I'd be willing to buy a copper lock so my son could make a prototype? Wife can't argue me for a good cause ::shrug:: :D :D
Bill
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

thankgod4rkids wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:49 pm Did you find a sheath? I'd be willing to buy a copper lock so my son could make a prototype?
Not an ideal one. The Case sheath comes close, but it's just a little too short. I thought about reworking a Mag-Lite sheath, but I'm not sure if that is feasible. I'll shoot you a PM so we can further discuss sheath-making details.
USN 2000-2006

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”