Best leather dye?

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
zzyzzogeton

Re: Best leather dye?

Post by zzyzzogeton »

I have used the Fiebing's oil dyes in the past, primarily the USMC Black, but also some of their browns. They all work well. At least in MI you may be able to get the Oil based dyes. The oil dyes have been "Not Available" in Commiefornia for several years. I have a friend in CA that drives to Las Vegas every few months to buy a large supply.

I still use non-black dyes from Fiebing, but I have shifted almost entirely to using vinegaroon for my black leather projects. I've never tried it on pre-dyed leather. Never gave it a thought. I'll have to go down to the Salvation Army store and buy an old used belt or three to experiment on.

The benefit of vinegaroon is that you get a full thickness black. No tan leather showing if the leather is scraped or cut. The downside of vinegaroon isyou have to neutralize it after using it and the leather then needs some leather oil and buffing to get a shine.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm At least in MI you may be able to get the Oil based dyes. The oil dyes have been "Not Available" in Commiefornia for several years.
So that's why every place I've seen it sold states "this item cannot be shipped to California." I should have known; I have zero regrets about leaving California!

I'm in talks about having a sheath made, but if I ever decide to get into leather crafting, experimenting on Salvation Army purchases is a wise idea.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm Ken, you are correct. I looked into picking up the tools, and quickly dismissed it as financially irresponsible.

Dan sorry for the delay I just replied to your pm.

I can attest to the rabbit hole.of leather work. I started making knives years ago. Needed a sheath so started to learn how to do that. Fast forward several years I have sewing machines hand tools, and all kinds of stuff and a side business doing leather . ......on the flip making is fun.....

Ross
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Dan In MI wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:06 pm Ken, you are correct. I looked into picking up the tools, and quickly dismissed it as financially irresponsible.

Dan sorry for the delay I just replied to your pm.

I can attest to the rabbit hole.of leather work. I started making knives years ago. Needed a sheath so started to learn how to do that. Fast forward several years I have sewing machines hand tools, and all kinds of stuff and a side business doing leather . ......on the flip making is fun.....

Ross
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I have not needed leather die yet. I'm limited to Tandy Leather in Grand Rapids, Mi. for local purchases and don't hear much good about their mail order leather. I also watch the free boxes at garage sales for old quality men's belts for for pieces like for sheath straps and to put on a piece of wood for a knife strop.
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:06 am Google would get me probably half a billion hits on this topic, but I value the opinions of this community. That said, rather than having a sheath made, I simply bought one. However, I'll want to dye it black. What would y'all feel that the best widely available and not horribly expensive leather dye would be?
Fiebings!!! Period!!!!

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”