Fixing Dried Out Sheaths

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
cody6268

Fixing Dried Out Sheaths

Post by cody6268 »

What is the best way to moisturize a very dried-out leather sheath?

I recently got a Leatherman from 1993, and it looks like the sheath just sat somewhere for most of that 28 years. It is hard as a rock.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fixing Dried Out Sheaths

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Start with saddle soap, follow the directions on the can. That should restore and re-hydrate the leather. Here’s an older thread on the same subject, recommending several leather conditioning products.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... hilit=Bick

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes. I agree with Ken on the restoration he suggested. However, if it is as hard as a rock it may not come all the way back and be 100%. After the saddle soap, I have had good luck with Mink Oil. There are many many good leather restoration products out there to try.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:20 pm What is the best way to moisturize a very dried-out leather sheath?

I recently got a Leatherman from 1993, and it looks like the sheath just sat somewhere for most of that 28 years. It is hard as a rock.
My friend i can help you there, had great success with this method on really dried out leather. As Ken stated get yourself some saddle soap or leather cleaner can be sourced at a good saddlery or horse gear supplier. And some good leather conditioner, a reputable supplier will give you the right advise as to what is best for your needs. Give the leather a really good clean with the saddle soap, and old toothbrush is ideal, my take a couple of goes just make sure it dries between coats. Then just lather on the conditioner, and let soak in and dry, then keep reapplying, may take several coats. Will completely reinvigorate your sheath. This is what i use, but won't be available over there, but you will be able to source something similar. ::tu:: I have had this conditioner for over 25 years and still going strong, a little goes a long way, and is great on work boots. This stuff has been made here for over 100 years so they must be doing something right. If you need any help just ask. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
IMAG0774.jpg
IMAG0775.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

cudgee wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:16 pm
cody6268 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:20 pm What is the best way to moisturize a very dried-out leather sheath?

My friend i can help you there, had great success with this method on really dried out leather. As Ken stated get yourself some saddle soap or leather cleaner can be sourced at a good saddlery or horse gear supplier. And some good leather conditioner, a reputable supplier will give you the right advise as to what is best for your needs. Give the leather a really good clean with the saddle soap, and old toothbrush is ideal, my take a couple of goes just make sure it dries between coats. Then just lather on the conditioner, and let soak in and dry, then keep reapplying, may take several coats. Will completely reinvigorate your sheath. This is what i use, but won't be available over there, but you will be able to source something similar. ::tu:: I have had this conditioner for over 25 years and still going strong, a little goes a long way, and is great on work boots. This stuff has been made here for over 100 years so they must be doing something right. If you need any help just ask. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::

IMAG0774.jpg
IMAG0775.jpg
Not sure if that is available in North America. There are a lot of very good substitutes here though.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Thanks guys. I will be picking up some good saddle soap and mink oil next time I'm at Tractor Supply. I had cans of each from Dollar General, and neither is any good.

I used a bit of Huberd's Shoe Oil, and the first coat seemed to make a slight difference. Problem is that was almost the last of it I had. I have never seen it locally, so I'll have to order some. It is mostly what I use on my boots after cleaning them.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:10 am Thanks guys. I will be picking up some good saddle soap and mink oil next time I'm at Tractor Supply. I had cans of each from Dollar General, and neither is any good.

I used a bit of Huberd's Shoe Oil, and the first coat seemed to make a slight difference. Problem is that was almost the last of it I had. I have never seen it locally, so I'll have to order some. It is mostly what I use on my boots after cleaning them.
Your on the right track my friend, and what may seem expensive at the time works out really cheap over time, quality always wins. I am well into my sixties and the bottle of leather oil i posted is only the second i have ever had to purchase and there is still some left. If you need any more help or advise just ask mate. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I never use oil, have tried most available. Mink oil is a good shoe and boot waterproofing but it will soften leather. Softening is great for shoes and baseball mitts but a sheath should have a stiffness to the leather. This is why I prefer the wax based leather preservers and waterproofings. Sno Seal works well and there are other wax based products. If it is really dried out I warm it up on a radiator or in the oven around 120 degrees, take it out and the wax leather treatment soaks into the warm leather when rubbed in. Sometimes it takes several treatments to get the wax penetrated into the leather. Once done ii will retail it's original shape and stiffness, whereas Mink or Neatsfoot oils will make it soft.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Montana Pitch Blend makes a really good product, other than that, I use Oakwood products.

https://www.montanapitchblend.com/products
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:29 pm Start with saddle soap, follow the directions on the can. That should restore and re-hydrate the leather. Here’s an older thread on the same subject, recommending several leather conditioning products.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... hilit=Bick

Ken
Saddle soap will clean but not do anything to help dry leather...it actually will adjust the ph level of the leather...after a good cleaning ( saddle soap ) let it dry well and then use leather conditioner ( Fiebings Aussie saddle care ) or simular conditioner!! Do this in 3-4 light applications...you will see a difference!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I was going to suggest pure Lanolin but didn't because so many other comments led towards tried and true products, but since Kandaje did mention it I will now endorse it. I had dried out stag covers on a knife that I wanted to restore and after my research came up with Pure Lanolin. I purchased a 7 oz. tub of PURE Lanolin from Amazon for about $7. and tried it. 2 days after slathering it onto the covers and letting them sit they plumped right up and haven't re-shrunk. I would speculate that if it can soften up hard stag material it should do wonders on leather. Lanolin is in many products such as Baby Oil but those have perfume and other stuff in them as well, you want PURE Lanolin, no other ingredients! Good luck Cody! 8)
8)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not sure how to delicately say this, but in the interest of providing factual, accurate information regarding prior posts made in this thread, I’ll just post a few facts.

First, ingredients of saddle soap, from a well-known and widely available brand. Note in addition to a fine soap it is “formulated with glycerin and lanolin……..with wax” - click to enlarge and read the label:
249CE53B-F34F-47C7-B91E-A2F1BAB4305E.jpeg
Second, although a widely speculated rumor on the internet, WD-40 does not contain fish oil. Full disclosure - it took me about 2 minutes to find the WD-40 MSDS and the Snopes post dispelling the fish oil ingredients tale:
As for the claim the “basic ingredient” in WD-40 is “fish oil,” it’s a common rumor and one that is easily propagated (because cans of WD-40 spray include no ingredients list), but a glance at the composition information included in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being “solvent naptha, petroleum, medium aliphatic” (also known as Stoddard Solvent):

solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic, > 60%
petroleum base oil as paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed (severe), 15% to 25%
corrosion inhibitor unregulated, 1% to 10%
wetting agent unregulated, 1% to 10%
fragrance unregulated, 0% to 1%
carbon dioxide, 2% to 3%
Carry on!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:20 am Not sure how to delicately say this, but in the interest of providing factual, accurate information regarding prior posts made in this thread, I’ll just post a few facts.

First, ingredients of saddle soap, from a well-known and widely available brand. Note in addition to a fine soap it is “formulated with glycerin and lanolin……..with wax” - click to enlarge and read the label:

249CE53B-F34F-47C7-B91E-A2F1BAB4305E.jpeg

Second, although a widely speculated rumor on the internet, WD-40 does not contain fish oil. Full disclosure - it took me about 2 minutes to find the WD-40 MSDS and the Snopes post dispelling the fish oil ingredients tale:
As for the claim the “basic ingredient” in WD-40 is “fish oil,” it’s a common rumor and one that is easily propagated (because cans of WD-40 spray include no ingredients list), but a glance at the composition information included in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being “solvent naptha, petroleum, medium aliphatic” (also known as Stoddard Solvent):

solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic, > 60%
petroleum base oil as paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed (severe), 15% to 25%
corrosion inhibitor unregulated, 1% to 10%
wetting agent unregulated, 1% to 10%
fragrance unregulated, 0% to 1%
carbon dioxide, 2% to 3%
Carry on!

Ken
Very interesting, i have used Ballistol on leather and it works but really darkens it and has a shocking smell for a while. You don't happen to know what it's ingredients are by any chance. I don't trust a lot of things on google. ::hmm:: ::hmm:: ::hmm:: :)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

cudgee wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:46 am Very interesting, i have used Ballistol on leather and it works but really darkens it and has a shocking smell for a while. You don't happen to know what it's ingredients are by any chance. I don't trust a lot of things on google. ::hmm:: ::hmm:: ::hmm:: :)
cudgee you can find the basic ingredients for almost any product by looking up its Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). The manufacturer is required, at least if it’s sold in the U.S.A., to provide the MSDS. Some other countries require the same. In this case I did a search for “Ballistol MSDS” which brought me to this http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/upl ... CH_BIO.pdf. On this one the ingredients are on page 3. The primary ingredient is mineral oil.

I found several MSDS for Ballistol including aerosol, liquid, and multi-purpose versions. There may be others. Apparently the contents differ depending on the version of the product - aerosol would obviously contain some propellant which a liquid version would not need - but the basic ingredients are likely similar or identical.

Sorry to de-rail the thread. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:23 am
cudgee wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:46 am Very interesting, i have used Ballistol on leather and it works but really darkens it and has a shocking smell for a while. You don't happen to know what it's ingredients are by any chance. I don't trust a lot of things on google. ::hmm:: ::hmm:: ::hmm:: :)
cudgee you can find the basic ingredients for almost any product by looking up its Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). The manufacturer is required, at least if it’s sold in the U.S.A., to provide the MSDS. Some other countries require the same. In this case I did a search for “Ballistol MSDS” which brought me to this http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/upl ... CH_BIO.pdf. On this one the ingredients are on page 3. The primary ingredient is mineral oil.

I found several MSDS for Ballistol including aerosol, liquid, and multi-purpose versions. There may be others. Apparently the contents differ depending on the version of the product - aerosol would obviously contain some propellant which a liquid version would not need - but the basic ingredients are likely similar or identical.

Sorry to de-rail the thread. ::facepalm::

Ken
You haven't derailed the thread. It's a great learning curve to learn of different products that are used for leather applications. ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I really need to do with with probably about a dozen or more old fixed blade sheaths. Great info and greatly appreciated. 😉👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:29 pm Start with saddle soap, follow the directions on the can. That should restore and re-hydrate the leather. Here’s an older thread on the same subject, recommending several leather conditioning products.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51259&hilit=Bick

Ken
Saddle soap is to CLEAN leather....leather conditioner will give it back its moisture and oils needed not to crack and brake!!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Alien883 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:26 am

Ken
Saddle soap is to CLEAN leather....leather conditioner will give it back its moisture and oils needed not to crack and brake!!
All I know is what I read on the product label, and my personal experience using the product. The saddle soap I use, in addition to soap for cleaning, says it is "formulated with glycerin and lanolin to make leather soft and supple".

Works great for me. Maybe your brand contains only soap? ::shrug:: If you read ALL of my post, I also referred to using other leather conditioning products in addition to saddle soap.

Carry on!

Ken
Attachments
Kiwi brand saddle soap
Kiwi brand saddle soap
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:52 am
Alien883 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:26 am

Ken
All I know is what I read on the product label, and my personal experience using the product. The saddle soap I use, in addition to soap for cleaning, says it is "formulated with glycerin and lanolin to make leather soft and supple".

Works great for me. Maybe your brand contains only soap? ::shrug:: If you read ALL of my post, I also referred to using other leather conditioning products in addition to saddle soap.

Carry on!

Ken
You are correct, first comes the cleaning effect to rid all grime and dirt, but all saddle soaps need to have lanolin oil or simular in it to keep the leather from getting stiff after drying...this causes the pores to stay open ( alas softer) now comes the long term effect...now you use leather conditioner...these fine oils mixed with waxes will seal these fine pores and keep the leather for a long time soft, playable and workable...which is obviously a different task...nobody will have long term soft playable leather using saddle soap only...I guess that's why they make leather conditioner in the first place to be a final application! And....yes, I have been doing just that for 30+ years making custom leather holsters, belts bags and saddle repair!!
QGofLake

Post by QGofLake »

Thanks all for this thread. I've got a couple of old dirty sheaths that are solid, but looking a bit haggard. Starting off with some Kiwi brand saddle soap and then following with conditioners read about here. Might do some before and after pics.

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”