Saddle Soap--Liquid vs. Paste?

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
cody6268

Saddle Soap--Liquid vs. Paste?

Post by cody6268 »

I've got quite a few sheaths that have pretty dry leather, both new recently made, and older ones that are 25-30+ years old. I have saddle soap on my list, and am heading to Tractor Supply to get a bunch of stuff here pretty soon.

I have found the Fiebling's brand saddle soap in paste form is a little difficult to apply, but it seems to work pretty well if done correctly. However, I'm wondering if saddle soap in spray bottles/liquid form is any good?
FRJ

Re: Saddle Soap--Liquid vs. Paste?

Post by FRJ »

I knew an experienced leather worker who used Bag Balm or vaseline.
It's what I use if I ever need to care for my sheaths. Which isn't often.
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:32 am I've got quite a few sheaths that have pretty dry leather, both new recently made, and older ones that are 25-30+ years old. I have saddle soap on my list, and am heading to Tractor Supply to get a bunch of stuff here pretty soon.

I have found the Fiebling's brand saddle soap in paste form is a little difficult to apply, but it seems to work pretty well if done correctly. However, I'm wondering if saddle soap in spray bottles/liquid form is any good?
I have been using a leather cleaner in a spray bottle for years and it is fantastic and a lot easier to apply.
Have a look at leathercult.com on the internet, they have some good information. Also i use the spray leather cleaner to clean the wood covers on my knives, you will be staggered at the amount of grime it removes. ::tu::

The new leather sheaths won't need cleaning, but a dedicated leather preserver/conditioner. The one i use will not be available to you unfortunately, but you should be able to find one at your Tractor Supply store.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I use Bag Balm. Its the only thing I’ve used that seems to stop that white mold from coming back. A little goes a long way. The tub last forever. Plus it is good for dry skin. Ive been using it for years without any issues.

I always hesitate to recommend it because its not actually meant for leather but if you look at the ingredients it makes sense to use it.
TPK

Post by TPK »

I use Ballistol. Works great but it can cause the leather color to darken. ::tu::
Also works great on wood too. ::nod::

I have also read that the English "Brooks Proofide leather dressing" should be good but I have never tried it so I don't know for sure how good it is. ::hmm::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

I usually use saddle soap paste to clean my non dyed leather and never used the liquid kind but like any liquid if to much is applied it will soften the leather. I've never used Bag Balm, I'll have to buy some and try it, thanks for the tip guys. I've tried and used different products and really can't comment if one works better but can comment that most will darken the leather, here's a few I still use, neatsfoot oil, olive oil and mink oil. Good luck with your project.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
robpa

Post by robpa »

Any good product will suffice and its better than nothing. I use Chelsea, a paste product from England on all my saddles, bridles, etc. For old leather I like to wipe down with murphys oil soap, then wipe and dry then apply the leather conditioner, leave sit for a few hours and then give a good rub down. If the leather is VERY dry it will take several treatments and may never be recoverable. I just broke an old Queen city sheath when trying to repair old stitching. I use my fingers to rub the conditioner in so I can feel the heat created, I think it helps the penetration.I guess I vve used about every brand over the years.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I put the paste saddle soap on with a wet light colored sponge. Work it around all the surfaces and the sponge will start to get dark by picking up the dirt. Rinse the sponge frequently under hot water and repeat. Let the leather dry overnight before applying a topcoat.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

texoma wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:00 pm I usually use saddle soap paste to clean my non dyed leather and never used the liquid kind but like any liquid if to much is applied it will soften the leather. I've never used Bag Balm, I'll have to buy some and try it, thanks for the tip guys. I've tried and used different products and really can't comment if one works better but can comment that most will darken the leather, here's a few I still use, neatsfoot oil, olive oil and mink oil. Good luck with your project.
Correct. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: Anything you apply to leather will darken it to some extent. ::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I recently tested both, and I think my money is now on paste.

The liquid I didn't get much results from. The leather still felt dry and hard after several applications.

'
I recently cleaned two articles using an old tin of Fiebling's in paste form I'd had and tossed aside as I apparently wasn't using it right originally. One was a sheath to a small Zippo knife that I used occasionally, and had been treated before. It was starting to get stiff and dry, but it became flexible and soft once again. The second was the belt loop to a Craftsman knife, which had largely been untouched in 50 years. That went from cement hard to reasonably soft in no time at all.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:12 pm I recently tested both, and I think my money is now on paste.

The liquid I didn't get much results from. The leather still felt dry and hard after several applications.

'
I recently cleaned two articles using an old tin of Fiebling's in paste form I'd had and tossed aside as I apparently wasn't using it right originally. One was a sheath to a small Zippo knife that I used occasionally, and had been treated before. It was starting to get stiff and dry, but it became flexible and soft once again. The second was the belt loop to a Craftsman knife, which had largely been untouched in 50 years. That went from cement hard to reasonably soft in no time at all.
Good information, thanks for posting. I have had a theory for a while, but it is only my thoughts. Oil on leather from brand new works, but old dry leather maybe needs a paste/solid conditioner. I tried solid dubbin on an old dry dog collar years ago, it had sentimental value. After about 3 light coats of dubbin letting it soak in between coats i then applied about 4 light coats of liquid conditioner and the difference was amazing. It became so supple again. You maybe onto something. ::hmm:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:32 am I've got quite a few sheaths that have pretty dry leather, both new recently made, and older ones that are 25-30+ years old. I have saddle soap on my list, and am heading to Tractor Supply to get a bunch of stuff here pretty soon.

Remember saddle soap is to CLEAN leather...open pores and get rid of gunk and grime....after that is all good and dry....you apply a leather CONDITIONER to re- nourish the leather, adding moisture and oils to keep leather in working condition!!
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

I only use saddle soap to clean leather after reading this thread awhile back I purchased liquid saddle soap when I compare to paste I prefer working with paste over liquid main reason and maybe its because I've been using paste longer it was easier for me to apply paste to get the results I wanted
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Saddle soap is...as the name says to clean leather...not condition it! I recomend to clean the sheath with damp rag and Fiebings saddle soap...let it dry real good and then apply Fiebings leather saddle conditioner! Done!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As the saying goes, "what ever float's your boat".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Rockingkj
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rockingkj »

I have had super results rejuvenating old leather with Black Rock leather conditioner. Best stuff I have ever used
FD5A520B-88A0-40D8-A876-4860A18B1651.jpeg
A8A89089-1993-4A2C-9B23-23BEF235BED2.jpeg
You can always get more money, good old knives are hard to find.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Rockingkj wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:38 pm I have had super results rejuvenating old leather with Black Rock leather conditioner. Best stuff I have ever usedFD5A520B-88A0-40D8-A876-4860A18B1651.jpegA8A89089-1993-4A2C-9B23-23BEF235BED2.jpeg
I also like Black Rock. That said, it will darken light leathers. If that is an issue for you, use Cadillac Boot and Shoe Leather Lotion. It does NOT protect as well as Black Rock, but will not darken the leather.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”