Leatherman sheath

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Leatherman sheath

Post by Reverand »

I have been playing around with a little leather work, just trying to learn some of the basics.
Last week a co-worker asked if I could make a belt pouch or sheath for his Leatherman tool. Here is what I came up with:
Pattern
Pattern
Since he uses the tool daily, I didn't want to take it with me. So I drew an outline of it on cardboard. Today I made a mock-up of it out of popsicle sticks.
Basic design
Basic design
Open
Open
I had picked up a bag of scrap leather at Hobby Lobby for $5.99, along with some needles, waxed thread, and a few other items. The rivets and snaps I ordered off Amazon.
The scraps are a soft, lightweight leather, and not really suited for knife sheaths, but it is great to use for learning. So far I have made a replacement pocket holster for my pistol, a leather handle wrap for my old slingblade, and now this sheath. I have only used up about $2 worth of the leather!
The belt loop is a heavier leather that I got from my Dad. It is much thicker and would have made a better sheath, but I don't want to waste it before I can do better.
Closed
Closed
Side view
Side view
I wound up cutting the edges too short on the side, so instead of overlapping the edges and using a Saddle stitch, I butted the ends together and came up with some kind of cross-stitch pattern. It looks weird to me, but I am not charging him for it so I shouldn't hear too many complaints.
Oh, and some free advice: if you want to round the corners on a piece, but forget to do it until after everything is put together, heavy toenail clippers work great!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
OSCAR

Re: Leatherman sheath

Post by OSCAR »

Pretty good work there. Especially since you are new to leatherwork.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”