Beginner leather tool set recommendation

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Froe

Beginner leather tool set recommendation

Post by Froe »

Hello all
I have an older brother that makes the occasional sheath using common hand tools from the garage. He is patient and meticulous and does good work with them. He doesn’t use the internet and so he’s asking me if I can find him a decent set of ‘beginner’ leather working tools online until he can decide what he wants to invest in or improve upon. In his words “just something good enough”. I have been looking through Amazon to see if I could find him something for his upcoming 70th birthday, but the beginner sets all look the same to me. Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
Froe
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Beginner leather tool set recommendation

Post by Jeffinn »

Weaver Leather has a few nice starter sets: The page is here:https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/col ... /tool-kits
Hope this helps!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Froe

Post by Froe »

Thanks!
Froe
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I used to buy my tools and leather from Tandy Leathercraft, another good source.
Froe

Post by Froe »

Thanks Gunsil.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I purchased a beginning leather working set on eBay and that gave me an idea of what I would use, even though it was an inexpensive Chinese set. I then went out and bought good quality versions of the tools I found most useful from Tandy Leather. We have a local shoe and leather repair store that sells Tandy products as well as other products. They also sell leather. He might start by checking to see if any of the local shoe repair stores sell leather working tools.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Don't buy a kit, mostly you buy useless low quality filler tools...essentially you need a good bevel edger in 2 sizes, you really need a sharp utility knife and later on a few specialized knives...you definitely need a good polyester mallet or even leather head mallet, a french upholstery hammer is useful can be made from an old carpenter hammer!!!...make your self a scratch awl out of an old screw driver...make urself a bone folder from stag or bone...maybe a stitching line cutter and a few saddle stitching needles!! And off you go!! Less then $50 bucks and you are in business...lol...now, of course if you have that "tool" problem like some of us....lol....you be spending money on " leather" tools for the next 25 years....lol
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Don't buy a kit, mostly you buy useless low quality filler tools...essentially you need a good bevel edger in 2 sizes, you really need a sharp utility knife and later on a few specialized knives...you definitely need a good polyester mallet or even leather head mallet, a french upholstery hammer is useful can be made from an old carpenter hammer!!!...make your self a scratch awl out of an old screw driver...make urself a bone folder from stag or bone...maybe a stitching line cutter and a few saddle stitching needles!! And off you go!! Less then $50 bucks and you are in business...lol...now, of course if you have that "tool" problem like some of us....lol....you be spending money on " leather" tools for the next 25 years....lol

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”