Post your Moki’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Moki’s

Post by Madmarco »

Stunningly beautiful Mark! Can knives get any better looking than that! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I would love to see them do this inlay work, just to see how it’s done. I can’t imagine working with material that is so delicate and not crack it. These are all beautiful knives.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a Moki Lakota I have listed. I have seen 5 different inlays on this particular pattern of knife. I thought there were only 4 but then I discovered this one. Brown Jasper with red and pink inlays. I think these were made in the 90’s but not certain of that. This is a patented design, so that you can use the knife and set it down on the edge for easier pick up on small projects, see the 3rd photo. Pretty ingenious. Measures just a little over 2 1/2” closed. Moki does incredible work with inlays.
Attachments
5E45EF33-E044-412C-93F4-C08BEB7F826C.jpeg
FC6E9933-AD15-49AA-AC40-C19D34B9378D.jpeg
E5613084-E008-4646-8710-A5D1EC77F0EA.jpeg
3FA5E261-C175-448C-A07C-4A2198D187D8.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Cool Moki Mark! ::tu:: It's a lot fatter than I thought! ::hmm:: Beautiful covers for sure, not to mention their ingenious "pick-up" design, really neat! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark. If I needed a knife for small jobs, this would be the knife.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::tu:: ! 8)
8)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:42 pm Here is a Moki Lakota I have listed. I have seen 5 different inlays on this particular pattern of knife. I thought there were only 4 but then I discovered this one. Brown Jasper with red and pink inlays. I think these were made in the 90’s but not certain of that. This is a patented design, so that you can use the knife and set it down on the edge for easier pick up on small projects, see the 3rd photo. Pretty ingenious. Measures just a little over 2 1/2” closed. Moki does incredible work with inlays.
Mark, this is a beautiful knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks David, it is a gorgeous knife. Who would have thought to put red and pink with brown? This one is marked to go into my collection after a time, if no one buys it. It’s a thing I do to keep my word to my wife when she reminds me that “you can’t keep them all”. She is right, and it gives others a chance at the really good stuff that comes across my desk instead of all the great ones moving into my collection.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Very nice, can't say I've never seen that handle material before or at least I can't remember.... ::dang::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thought I should add these new SFO’s that I had produced by Moki. They made all 100 of these in just one day Dec 26th, shipped on the 27th and arrived from Seki Japan on the 28th. I’m floored over the efficiency.
Built on the Moki Kronos models ANZ-533 and ANZ-433. Both have VG-10 stainless blades with all stainless components, pins, bolsters, spring and liners. The handles are the same sunset colored barb wire jigged bone that Case has used in the past, made by Culpeppers. You won’t find any others like them in the world, made exclusively for Sharpnshinyknives, SSk. 50 of each size were made and are laser engraved with the SSk logo and “Exclusive 1 of 50”. Got lucky on the price of these. Even though these have been in the works for 6 months, the price to me was approximately the same as before even though Moki has raised the prices on these by a considerable amount. The strong dollar and weak yen are to thank for that. I sweated this swinging back the other way until these were built. Currency changes can wreck a project, just ask Browning.
Hope to do more projects with Moki in the future. Will probably choose a different model for the next one.
Attachments
EE1D417C-3DB8-4343-A908-A526391049AD.jpeg
51789219-72A3-47D4-B93C-672E8A11542B.jpeg
47853A7E-EB7A-4289-B0D7-F74C7844DD5E.jpeg
2C31FD69-7358-4473-8C15-3142D07F4E4E.jpeg
782FB083-5BA4-481C-92EC-AE6C973C5E09.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

They're beautiful Mark! I have not seen that barbed-wire pattern before and I really like it. And never mind Browning, ask ME about currency exchange! If my collection so far is worth say, US$10,000., you can be sure I paid ay least CDN$16,000., ::facepalm:: and it's only because I live North of the 49th parallel, the only undefended frontier in the world! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark. Currency is a problem especially when central banks have been interfering for so long in the economy.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, it appears that I'm the first to purchase one of these new SSk Mokis, but I'm certain as the word spreads I won't be the last! This knife is stunning! It's a 7 1/4" oal lockback with a VG-10 drop-point blade with the nail-nick surrounded by the swedge, SS bolsters liners spring and pins, absolutely gorgeous Sunset orange and black barbed-wire jigged covers, and a SS lanyard tube. It weighs just shy of 3 oz.'s and came treacherously sharp. Has a comfortable opening pull of only about 4 along with a decent snapping detent when folding closed. The fit and finish is second to none. The tangs are stamped "MOKI" and "VG-10/JAPAN", and the front blade displays an etch of the "SSk" logo and "Exclusive Limited Edition of 50". I chose the ANZ-433 model as it's slightly longer than the also available ANZ-533 model, which is just as stunning. For any true Moki fans this one is a must. My pictures and Mark's pictures don't capture the real beauty of these knives, they must be handled and examined in person for that. I would expect these new models to sell as quickly as the first collaboration between Mark and Moki of the 433's and 533's in blue lapis did, so if you like it don't wait too long to buy one and risk disappointment. I have no affiliation with Mark or SSk other than our friendship, I'm simply impressed with this new knife and think everyone else will be too! 8)
WIN_20230206_13_10_18_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230206_13_10_03_Pro.jpg
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Congrats Marco, excellent piece, beautiful scales. Looks fabulous. Glad you got one of those beauties. Thanks SSK for bringing them to market. Excellent contribution.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Glad you are so excited about this Mark. You are right the pictures don’t do it justice. When I show people in person the two that I have made, they always gravitate toward this barbwire jigged version. It has an ooh and aww factory to it. I hear “I love this barbwire jigging”. I appreciate the kind words, thank you.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Iman for your kind words. You have got to get yourself one of those new Mokis, it will fit right in with all your other gorgeous knives. ::nod:: 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Saw this Moki bird and trout knife on the JKD website the other day and was surprised that I hadn’t seen this version before. It has amber carved bone stag handles just like the Moki Kronos models. The box has a special Master Sakurai signature on the box, which I hadn’t seen before. Master Sakurai runs or owns Moki not sure which but he is in charge. AUS-8 stainless steel blade. Beautifully done, like all Moki’s.
Attachments
82B971E6-07B4-4414-BA01-4A1EBE218E44.jpeg
1CC5A5FF-977C-4927-A123-0B2353ED3172.jpeg
5656E01B-04A0-4862-B7B3-CE2A63497D87.jpeg
A219DD80-F439-4781-B4AC-72F30D0B5A81.jpeg
C5A83228-4D53-48B9-9A36-EA37CB3519CA.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ah, ha!
I knew your knife reminded me of another knife I've seen Mark, the Kronos.
You could carry the 533 in your watch pocket, and your new B + T sheathed in your boot, then you'd be well equipped for anything! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I picked this one up the other day from a company in Japan. I was pleased to learn something new about Moki. This knife is etched Hanasaki which it turns out was the name Moki went by before 1987 when they changed the name to Moki. So this knife is over 35 years old. The handles are ebony. The stainless steel blade is used by florists, small cutting and pruning jobs. The tang etch is marked Tokyo and not Seki, very interesting. I am pretty sure this knife was never offered here in the States which would explain why I haven’t seen this knife before. When I saw it, I had to have it to add to my Moki collection.
The quality is lacking the tight fit that Moki is known for. The run up isn’t as tight as Moki does now and the biggest issue is that when you close the blade the tip lands on the liner and not in the well. You have to move it over manually. You can see this in the fourth photo. This is a quality issue you would never see leave the Moki plant today. There is also glue from the handles on the backspring and liners. It’s an interesting piece of Moki history.
I have some more interesting knives coming later this week from the same company, some very rare pieces.
Attachments
CD3CC1AD-108F-46E7-8599-E4616C8E19C1.jpeg
EFAA2F25-529F-44D9-A153-23521D66BBEA.jpeg
48443941-90A3-48BF-B5C4-DF84B65B87C4.jpeg
EA788467-DB63-406F-AFAE-D40FF65D410A.jpeg
8F2CCC69-0B18-48A2-BA5E-B940313CAFD2.jpeg
DFCBEEB8-7E24-4AFA-840F-2B9E1201E948.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My newest MOKI, made in the USA so I guess it doesn’t belong in this thread, he is definitely a product of the USA and not Japanese. I need to send these pictures of Moki to Jemmy at JKD.
Got a picture of the rest of the pack welcoming him. I think that he is an Alpha dog. He has that swagger and isn’t afraid to go after what he wants. Time will tell.
Attachments
9D32C316-4766-47BB-A331-7E2BEDB3D72F.jpeg
182CCBB4-4337-41D5-B131-9D466317385E.jpeg
70DD4F51-F23F-42CC-8B03-D5C39A9CA2A4.jpeg
81A40AAB-D0BE-4A60-ADA2-AF6B136D7B91.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:23 am I picked this one up the other day from a company in Japan. I was pleased to learn something new about Moki. This knife is etched Hanasaki which it turns out was the name Moki went by before 1987 when they changed the name to Moki. So this knife is over 35 years old. The handles are ebony. The stainless steel blade is used by florists, small cutting and pruning jobs. The tang etch is marked Tokyo and not Seki, very interesting. I am pretty sure this knife was never offered here in the States which would explain why I haven’t seen this knife before. When I saw it, I had to have it to add to my Moki collection.
The quality is lacking the tight fit that Moki is known for. The run up isn’t as tight as Moki does now and the biggest issue is that when you close the blade the tip lands on the liner and not in the well. You have to move it over manually. You can see this in the fourth photo. This is a quality issue you would never see leave the Moki plant today. There is also glue from the handles on the backspring and liners. It’s an interesting piece of Moki history.
I have some more interesting knives coming later this week from the same company, some very rare pieces.
Ohh, I like it, Mark.
It's unusual, and that's the attraction for me.
Shame the Moki quality isn't present, but for that cool little knife you can overlook that, or I should say I can overlook that.
Can't wait to see the "interesting very rare pieces" coming up!
Nice addition to your Mokis, buddy!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:07 am My newest MOKI, made in the USA so I guess it doesn’t belong in this thread, he is definitely a product of the USA and not Japanese. I need to send these pictures of Moki to Jemmy at JKD.
Got a picture of the rest of the pack welcoming him. I think that he is an Alpha dog. He has that swagger and isn’t afraid to go after what he wants. Time will tell.
Great name for the little guy, Mark!
It's funny how a little dog like him can command the attention of 3 other older more experienced dogs, the pack seems very apprehensive about just what they have there!
He's gonna grow to be a big boy, so that'll all change!
Beautiful addition to your family, Mark!
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got in a new to me Moki pattern, I think it was actually discontinued but not certain. The pattern number is 700-A. Measures 3 1/4” closed OAL. Beautiful stag handles on this. ATS-34 stainless steel blade. This is a premium knife. Great fit and finish, tight run up and no brass with all stainless steel components. Comes with a leather sheath and polishing cloth. Next time I have a custom made, you can bet I will be asking about this one. Might be a bit small for some folks but I like knives this size.
Attachments
IMG_5356.jpeg
IMG_5357.jpeg
IMG_5358.jpeg
IMG_5360.jpeg
IMG_5361.jpeg
IMG_5362.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful, Mark.
A bit small for my liking, but what an outstanding look with it's subtle gunstock design.
What's-up with the oversized pin heads I wonder? ::shrug::
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark, it is a beautiful knife. I wondered that myself about the large than expected pins. I have a feeling that some are integral to the build, to make it more stable so it doesn’t move and crack the stag. It’s the same number and placement of pins as on the Kronos models. But on the Kronos, some of the pins are large and some are small. Maybe that’s why they discontinued these?

Return to “Japanese-made knives”