Made In Japan - But Made By ??

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Made In Japan - But Made By ??

Post by Madmarco »

I have this recent "Made in Japan-But Made By??" acquisition for you guys to ponder cuz the seller didn't have much to say about it!
His listing stated it's an 8" oal lockback with a SS spear-point blade, NS bolsters, brass liners pins and lanyard tube, micarta covers, is missing the swinguard, and was made prior to 1960. It displays "FLASHER" etched on the front blade, along with a rear tang stamp reading "440 STAINLESS/JAPAN".
It only weigh about 3 oz.'s and arrive completely dull. Has a comfortable walk and talk of around 4 and displays a well preserved fit and finish for a 60+ year old knife.
If anyone has any further information about this one please provide it! Thx!
8)
WIN_20230601_20_15_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230601_20_14_56_Pro.jpg
8)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I recently acquired this "Made in Japan but by who" 11 blade knife. The only markings are an F with wings on the pile side of the master and "stainless, high steel" on the mark side. It is 3 and 1/4 inches OAL closed. The covers are sterling with floral engraving. Anyone ever seen this tang stamp?
IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Can't say for certain but the only Japanese "F" brand, other than Frost, that I know of is FABICO (F.A.Bower, 1950's), who imported from Japan and Germany. Good luck with it, nice piece. J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

O.C., I was thinking it could just be the mark of an American jeweler or retailer who sold Japanese-made gents' knives?? I've seen that situation before with Italian, Japanese, Czech, etc. items. You've got a little mystery there. J.O'.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:00 pm O.C., I was thinking it could just be the mark of an American jeweler or retailer who sold Japanese-made gents' knives?? I've seen that situation before with Italian, Japanese, Czech, etc. items. You've got a little mystery there. J.O'.
Thanks for your info. I should have posted a picture of the knife with blades open. There are 11 blades, including a golf divot tool and a ripper blade that only opens half way.
IMG_5289.JPG
IMG_5288.JPG
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Could that be a wine cutter? It has a corkscrew. That's a really nice piece. Must've been from a jewelry/gift shop. Surprised its not initialed. J.O'.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:14 am Could that be a wine cutter? It has a corkscrew. That's a really nice piece. Must've been from a jewelry/gift shop. Surprised its not initialed. J.O'.
Yes, one scale has a square blank area for personalizing, but has not been used. Not sure how a wine cutter works.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Some wines, especially sparkling wines like champagne, have a thick, foil wrap and a light wire securing the cork.These must be removed to get the cork out. That short, usually heavier, hook blade does the job. I'm just guessing that's what it is because there's a corkscrew. Before the "crown" bottle cap was invented, most bottles, not just wine, had corks, so a corkscrew was a necessity, Here's a modern version of the same idea. There are lots of styles, usually at some angle to the frame to give it better purchase. Again, that's a really nice knife. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5973.jpg
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

The following four, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knives, were among various groups or lots of pocket knives that I have purchased over the last couple of years. They now become my latest examples to be posted under this topic or thread. Not one of these pocket knives was the actual target of, or reason for, my purchase. They are however, in good enough condition to be added to my general, pocket knife collection. ALL four are JAPAN, one blade, one tang stamp, 1 1/2" closed (not including the bail), fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knives. One pocket knife is missing the bail. ALL four of the main blade front tang stamps say, "JAPAN" One is an advertising pocket knife. The main handle side says, "CAFE-' 16 ' and the other handle side says "MURDO, S. DAK." ALL four blades have a good half stop. ALL four blades have a good opening and closing snap. Overall, ALL four pocket knives are in FAIR+ to GOOD condition. ALL four pocket knives needed some degree of cleaning. I took some pictures and here they are.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pocket Knife #1-(Top)-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Pocket Knife #1-(Top)-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Pocket Knife #2-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Pocket Knife #2-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Pocket Knife #3-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Pocket Knife #3-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Pocket Knife #4-(Bottom)-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Pocket Knife #4-(Bottom)-The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

I like the green on the advertising knife. Neat little group!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:37 am I.....
Thank you, Dan. 🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is one that fits this category; appears to be a copy of a S&W folder(pictured next to one). A paper inside the belt pouch stated it was made in Japan(but not by whom) for the S. S. Kresge(now K-Mart). Very well-made,
Attachments
IMG_0006.edit1.jpg
IMG_0007.edit1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Thoren39

Post by Thoren39 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:13 pm I recently acquired this "Made in Japan but by who" 11 blade knife. The only markings are an F with wings on the pile side of the master and "stainless, high steel" on the mark side. It is 3 and 1/4 inches OAL closed. The covers are sterling with floral engraving. Anyone ever seen this tang stamp?

IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG
I'd be interested in buying this from you if you decide to sell it.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thoren39 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:28 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:13 pm I recently acquired this "Made in Japan but by who" 11 blade knife. The only markings are an F with wings on the pile side of the master and "stainless, high steel" on the mark side. It is 3 and 1/4 inches OAL closed. The covers are sterling with floral engraving. Anyone ever seen this tang stamp?

IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG
Not for sale.
ThatWeirdKnifeGuy
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by ThatWeirdKnifeGuy »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:42 pm Some wines, especially sparkling wines like champagne, have a thick, foil wrap and a light wire securing the cork.These must be removed to get the cork out. That short, usually heavier, hook blade does the job. I'm just guessing that's what it is because there's a corkscrew. Before the "crown" bottle cap was invented, most bottles, not just wine, had corks, so a corkscrew was a necessity, Here's a modern version of the same idea. There are lots of styles, usually at some angle to the frame to give it better purchase. Again, that's a really nice knife. J.O'.
The scalloped/serrated version shown on your sommelier's knife is listed as a citrus peeler when its utilized in swiss army knives. So maybe the straight edge would be for foil so it would be a straighter cut, the serrated citrus peeler for making zest strips for fancy cocktails.

Nowadays they just have twist off caps, or wine comes in plastic bags in a box with a spigot.
::nod:: https://newlifeknives.etsy.com ::nod::

That's my Etsy store where I sell old knives and sometimes handmade knife accessories to support my knife habbit. Thanks for looking my friend. ::tu::
Thoren39

Post by Thoren39 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:13 am

IMG_5285.JPG
IMG_5286.JPG
Not for sale.
Thanks for replying.

Here's what I have learned:

The "F" stands for Fujimoto, Yasuhiro who was a pioneer among Japanese pocket knife makers. He sometimes traveled to America for knife shows where he would display complicated multi-tool designs as a show of skill.

Working out of Tokyo for Yamada Knife (YAX, now known as Yaxell), his small workshop created many high-quality knives for domestic and international markets. The sterling silver-plated models seem to have been quite popular in post-WW2 America. I believe they were made sometime around the 40s to 60s. In America, they were often imported by a company called Stainless Oriental and bear that tang stamp. Notably, he once made a large butcher's knife that was used by the CIA in the 1950s.

Most of the collectors of his knives are located in Japan, as he's highly esteemed there as one of the founders of the pocket knife scene. They even dubbed him "The Last Craftsman."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thoren39, welcome to AAPK. It’s great having a new number who knows (or is willing to research) and share info about any area of cutlery history! Please continue to share. ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thoren39 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:37 pm

Not for sale.
Thanks for replying.

The "F" stands for Fujimoto, Yasuhiro who was a pioneer among Japanese pocket knife makers. He sometimes traveled to America for knife shows where he would display complicated multi-tool designs as a show of skill.

Working out of Tokyo for Yamada Knife (YAX, now known as Yaxell), his small workshop created many high-quality knives for domestic and international markets. The sterling silver-plated models seem to have been quite popular in post-WW2 America. I believe they were made sometime around the 40s to 60s. In America, they were often imported by a company called Stainless Oriental and bear that tang stamp. Notably, he once made a large butcher's knife that was used by the CIA in the 1950s.

Most of the collectors of his knives are located in Japan, as he's highly esteemed there as one of the founders of the pocket knife scene. They even dubbed him "The Last Craftsman."
Wow, thanks for the research and information. The knife obviously also has a metal value with the handle material being sterling silver.
Thoren39

Post by Thoren39 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:04 pm
Thoren39 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:37 pm
Not for sale.
Thanks for replying.

Wow, thanks for the research and information. The knife obviously also has a metal value with the handle material being sterling silver.
No problem! Yours is in great condition. I can tell because the corkscrew isn't bent (common issue) and the thin grooves on the silver engraving haven't smoothed at all from pocket wear.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”