Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Quick Steel »

A very good looking collection Blunt Tip.. ::tu::
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Is their a difference between a food chopper and a meat cleaver other than maybe the size? Thanks. Nice looking chopper.

I found this. The most notable difference is the thickness of the back edge, or spine, of the blade. The spine of a meat cleaver is thick, which makes the knife heavy. The extra weight behind the blade helps when chopping through bones and joints. ... The extra weight behind the blade helps when chopping through bones and joints.May 27, 2017 A chopper is used for vegetables.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

mrwatch wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:30 am Is their a difference between a food chopper and a meat cleaver other than maybe the size? Thanks. Nice looking chopper.

I found this. The most notable difference is the thickness of the back edge, or spine, of the blade. The spine of a meat cleaver is thick, which makes the knife heavy. The extra weight behind the blade helps when chopping through bones and joints. ... The extra weight behind the blade helps when chopping through bones and joints.May 27, 2017 A chopper is used for vegetables.
That sounds correct on the difference between a chopper and a cleaver. The blade on this is only 110 mm, which is just a bit over 4 inches. So definelty this is for vegetables and not meat.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

From what I've read the last time I did research on Japanese and Chinese kitchen knives, that seems to be the exact case. Thinner and smaller cleaver for vegies, thicker and larger for meat. But many times it's not the case :wink: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is another custom made knife from an up and comer knife master Fumio Inagaki. Desert Ironwood handles and of course VG-10 stainless steel on a traditional Higonokami folder. This is the only Japanese custom I have ever had any issue with. The finish on the wooden handles could have been sanded and polished more, there are a few rough places that you can feel with your fingers. But other than that it’s a nice heavy knife that feels good in hand.
Attachments
IMG_5006.jpeg
IMG_5007.jpeg
IMG_5008.jpeg
IMG_5009.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

As you know Mark, I am invariably delighted with your Seki selections. This is an exception. I can't make a judgment about the handle, but I find the grind lines of the blade lacking. They lack the crisp definition I'd expect. How to explain? They seem sort of soft and imprecise. You have the knife in-hand so you can better judge. I am confident you will not take offense at my opinion...even if I am wrong. :)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:22 am As you know Mark, I am invariably delighted with your Seki selections. This is an exception. I can't make a judgment about the handle, but I find the grind lines of the blade lacking. They lack the crisp definition I'd expect. How to explain? They seem sort of soft and imprecise. You have the knife in-hand so you can better judge. I am confident you will not take offense at my opinion...even if I am wrong. :)
Garry, by no means do I take offense. I almost left this one out because of the issues I pointed out and what you mentioned as well. This just seemed like he rushed the process, unlike all the others. He is a younger knife master and perhaps this is a learning curve for him. Maybe someday it will be one of those that people seek just because it was an early knife of his. This is one I have thought a lot about using, since selling it later could be problematic.
Glad you are enjoying the knives I have been putting up.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Seeing this is "Other Seki Made" thread, here is an Seki Edge (Green Bell) nail clipper. Best dad gum clipper I've ever used. Even though it was pricy, I think it was well worth it.
Attachments
DSCN2576.JPG
DSCN2577.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:18 am Seeing this is "Other Seki Made" thread, here is an Seki Edge (Green Bell) nail clipper. Best dad gum clipper I've ever used. Even though it was pricy, I think it was well worth it.
Willy, I agree good nail clippers are worth the extra expense. I have 4 different ones for different purposes. Clippers have different shaped edges for cutting. A bad pair will crush the nail to cut it. The best ones actually cut the nail and leave a nice edge on the nail.
Everyone needs a good pair of nail clippers.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You said it Mark, and it's especially important if you play fingerstyle guitar (me). It also help fight the nail biting habit, I enjoy using the clipper so much, I don't want to chew my nails anymore :mrgreen: . Same idea with a good lawn mower, you enjoy cutting grass so much that you can't wait for it to grow back, and then go cut it again :mrgreen:.
Winston Churchill

BluntTip

Post by BluntTip »

Got this little AG Russell muskrat in today
IMG_20200131_194329560-01.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

BluntTip wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:45 am Got this little AG Russell muskrat in today

Beautiful, is that smooth natural bone or Micarta?
BluntTip

Post by BluntTip »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:56 am
BluntTip wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:45 am Got this little AG Russell muskrat in today

Beautiful, is that smooth natural bone or Micarta?
Smooth natural bone
BluntTip

Post by BluntTip »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:09 am A very good looking collection Blunt Tip.. ::tu::
Thanks!!!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are a couple of Browning knives. These were both made in Seki Japan. Browning had several knives made in Japan over the years. Some of very good quality and some of so so quality. The small one has some nice inlay work and is very nice but not up to Moki quality. The larger one on the other hand is very nice quality. Shows off the Japanese skill w/ inlays. The Micarta handle has nice pearl relief of the Browning stag and other pearl embellishments. It also has worked backsprings and some nice etching on the blade and the bolster.
Attachments
IMG_2639.jpeg
IMG_2638.jpeg
IMG_2642.jpeg
IMG_2645.jpeg
IMG_4423.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got this one in today as well. It’s a honking big knife, 5 1/8” closed OAL. Weighs in at 8.6 oz. Locks tight and loud when you open the blade. Very substantial knife in hand, would make a great defensive knife. False edge on top of the stiletto blade. I asked the soon to be new owner if he minded me posting this on the forum and he said go ahead. Bought this one to for someone in Canada. Couldn’t help but drool all over this Blackjack Mamba.
I like posting any of the finer knives made in Japan for documentation, it’s amazing when you Google something about knives how often it takes you here to AAPK. If someone has the history of Blackjack or this knife in particular, please share it.
Attachments
IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2416.jpeg
IMG_2417.jpeg
IMG_2418.jpeg
IMG_2421.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Those are some amazing knives Mark ::tu:: .
I wouldn't mind having me one of those Blackjacks (I love mean looking blades like that :mrgreen: ). How much are we looking price wise for one?
Winston Churchill

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a Seki made knife that I got in today. I don’t like putting knives I have for sale here since I don’t want folks to think I am using this to promote my knives. But before this one sells I wanted to take pics and post it here. This is a KAI Cut, which is Kershaw. Made by Moki but designed by Hiro. This one has all the typical Japanese qualities that make a knife great. The fit and finish is amazing. The tight fit on the run up is again typical of Moki. I think this is Sandalwood on the handles and it’s very fine. The stainless handles are brushed and very rich looking. The blade is elegant. I really like the upsweep of the handle on the bottom end of the knife. It’s just a great knife. If it doesn’t sell, I don’t mind keeping this one for my collection.
Attachments
IMG_2750.jpeg
IMG_2757.jpeg
IMG_2758.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A superb looking knife, Mark. Wonderful fit and finish.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, I was in your store a few minutes ago debating with my self over a Moki with multiple inlays. It disappeared on me. Did you just sell it?
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I knew I had a contribution to this thread but it was hiding in my fly fishing vest since the last time it was used. I’m thinking circa 2000 but then again, I can’t remember what I had for breakfast ::shrug:: Enjoy
Attachments
F102CF45-CA89-4713-883A-BBFF99EEF8F1.jpeg
0EE499E8-5529-4581-9EBD-7A7CC8B1D327.jpeg
7DF79515-28FB-471A-AE88-2C0D57AFBAB7.jpeg
35706E61-9D05-4C20-BD91-E891D110E810.jpeg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:21 am Mark, I was in your store a few minutes ago debating with my self over a Moki with multiple inlays. It disappeared on me. Did you just sell it?
Gary, it’s still there. I don’t know why it would have disappeared. If you can’t find it, contact me directly.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

bestgear wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:42 pm I knew I had a contribution to this thread but it was hiding in my fly fishing vest since the last time it was used. I’m thinking circa 2000 but then again, I can’t remember what I had for breakfast ::shrug:: Enjoy
I’m a big fan of SOG knives. I’ve never had a multi tool but if it’s made by SOG it’s got to be good. I need to post my SOG’s here too, I have a few.
Having a nice multi tool in the tackle box would be a good idea, instead of trying to remember to put one in every time like I do now.
Nice.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:26 amHaving a nice multi tool in the tackle box would be a good idea, instead of trying to remember to put one in every time like I do now
You know Mark, as time has gone on, I find myself NEEDING a multi-tool more than I used to believe so as of today each of my key rings has a Leatherman Squirt and that SOG will be on my belt and become my EDT ::nod:: Every Day Tool!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are a couple of SOG knives I have. The larger one is a SOG Vulcan Mini and the smaller one is a SOG Bluto, both made in Seki Japan. I don’t buy a lot of tactical knives but I make an exception for these. One that’s on my list is a SOG Architect w/ bone handles. I follow everyone of these that goes up on Ebay and have never been able to get one at a price I am willing to pay. I can blame A.G. Russell for getting me interested in SOG. He carried all these in his catalog and I just had to see if his write ups about these were as good as he said or not. They are.

Edit, I called the black one a Tom Cat and it’s Vulcan Mini that has been corrected now.
Attachments
IMG_4409.jpeg
IMG_4410.jpeg
IMG_4413.jpeg
IMG_4414.jpeg

Return to “Japanese-made knives”