Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Quick Steel »

They are a very handsome pair Mark. And I still enjoy looking at your slim Paragon.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I got in this A.G. Russell Folding Hunter with Guthook. This was designed and made by Master Tak Fukuta in the late 1990’s. Mr Fukuta produced another version of this that had a less expensive wooden handles on it. This one has Chinese Quince-wood Burl handles. This is one of my favorite woods. It always has a very tight grain and the color on Quince-wood is always amazing. The stainless steel blades are made of 8-A stainless. This knife is a handful, it measures 4 1/4” closed and is a bit heavy.
I listed this one for sale but wanted to post it here for more to enjoy.
Attachments
IMG_4113.jpeg
IMG_4115.jpeg
IMG_4120.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Mark, you have some awesome Japanese made knives...very eloquent and unique. I have only one high end Japanese made knife...a Buck Koji Hara folder that I couldn't resist a year or so back.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KLJ77 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:58 pm Mark, you have some awesome Japanese made knives...very eloquent and unique. I have only one high end Japanese made knife...a Buck Koji Hara folder that I couldn't resist a year or so back.
LJ, thank you for the compliment. I would like to see some pictures of that knife you mentioned. I know I have seen one before but it’s been so long I can’t remember what it looks like. Any knife designed by Master Koji Hara is unique and striking in it’s beauty and form. He does some amazing work. So does Dew Hara his son. His tastes are different from Koji and what he produces is over the top in a different vein.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 pm I got in this A.G. Russell Folding Hunter with Guthook. This was designed and made by Master Tak Fukuta in the late 1990’s. Mr Fukuta produced another version of this that had a less expensive wooden handles on it. This one has Chinese Quince-wood Burl handles. This is one of my favorite woods. It always has a very tight grain and the color on Quince-wood is always amazing. The stainless steel blades are made of 8-A stainless. This knife is a handful, it measures 4 1/4” closed and is a bit heavy.
A very handsome knife indeed Mark! ::tu:: Although not my style of knife, there's no getting away from the beauty of those scales. BTW, is the large blade with the tip missing referred to as a "spey" blade? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Madmarco wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:32 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 pm I got in this A.G. Russell Folding Hunter with Guthook. This was designed and made by Master Tak Fukuta in the late 1990’s. Mr Fukuta produced another version of this that had a less expensive wooden handles on it. This one has Chinese Quince-wood Burl handles. This is one of my favorite woods. It always has a very tight grain and the color on Quince-wood is always amazing. The stainless steel blades are made of 8-A stainless. This knife is a handful, it measures 4 1/4” closed and is a bit heavy.
A very handsome knife indeed Mark! ::tu:: Although not my style of knife, there's no getting away from the beauty of those scales. BTW, is the large blade with the tip missing referred to as a "spey" blade? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
I would call that a modified Spey blade. It’s a bit unusual but my guess is that it was designed specifically for skinning. I can see how this modification would make it a bit more helpful and help to keep the blade from cutting through the hide while skinning an animals, but that’s just a guess on my part.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:21 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:32 pm
I would call that a modified Spey blade. It’s a bit unusual but my guess is that it was designed specifically for skinning. I can see how this modification would make it a bit more helpful and help to keep the blade from cutting through the hide while skinning an animal, but that’s just a guess on my part.
Thanks Mark! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Mark,

Here's a couple photos of my Koji Hara folder, Buck model #204. Burlwood & Aluminum scales. Thanks for wanting to see it. The photos don't do it justice...it's a beauty.
Attachments
DSCF1672.jpeg
DSCF2829.jpeg
DSCF2842.jpeg
DSCF2840.jpeg
DSCF2834.jpeg
DSCF2836.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

LJ, that is a beauty. I’m sure it looks incredible in person. Thanks for taking the time to get that for me.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

LJ, ditto what Mark said. A gorgeous knife.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That is one gorgeous knife Ken! ::tu:: Do you still have both arms and legs after paying for it? ::rotflol:: lol! If you want to see another beauty by Koji Hara, go to www.arizonacustomknives.com and enter 428576 in the search box, and a real nice knife will come up. If you click-on the title of the knife it will open in another window with more pics and a description. Just saw it today and I can't stop thinking about it. ::woot:: I think you'll like it too! 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:49 pm LJ, that is a beauty. I’m sure it looks incredible in person. Thanks for taking the time to get that for me.
No problem at all, Mark. ::handshake::
LJ

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are other Seki made knives. I have a drawer full of A.G. Russell Seki made knives. There are two US made knives in the first photo, but made by or for A.G. Russell. The second photo is some of my Paragon’s, not all of them, and a couple of I.C. Cut knives. There are also 3 Case knives that look strangely out of place in that drawer. That last picture is of my welcome mat, or maybe it should be called an unwelcome mat. I chuckle every time I see this.
Attachments
IMG_4466.jpeg
IMG_4468.jpeg
IMG_4469.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 pm Here are other Seki made knives. I have a drawer full of A.G. Russell Seki made knives. There are two US made knives in the first photo, but made by or for A.G. Russell. The second photo is some of my Paragon’s, not all of them, and a couple of I.C. Cut knives. There are also 3 Case knives that look strangely out of place in that drawer. That last picture is of my welcome mat, or maybe it should be called an unwelcome mat. I chuckle every time I see this.
WOW! Some gorgeous folders Mark! ::tu:: Could you please post a pic of one of the black handled knives in the 2nd. pic, in the open position, the one's beside the Paragon like I have, and what make of knife is it? ::shrug:: Teriffic "welcome" mat BTW! Thanks! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sure Mark, those are Lee Heron Skinners made by Paragon. I forgot, I actually have those for sale, that’s why they are in the drawer with their sheaths and blade covers. I do have this knife in my collection so I guess it counts.
Attachments
IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4059.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! ::handshake:: From the pic I thought they were folders, but I failed to see the cardboard blade cover, and actually thought it was a piece of paper with the knife's info on it, and of course they count! 8)
8)
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Sweet knives everyone! Does this one count? I picked it up very reasonable...fit and finish is tight...smooth, snappy action...
Attachments
Screenshot_20201029-160733.png
Screenshot_20201029-160957.png
Screenshot_20201029-160941.png
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sure Ryan. Is that protrusion on the backspring a locking mechanism?
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Yes..I really like it..I picked it up on ebay for $33 shipped.. couldn't be happier..I'd love to own an old Remington whittler but they're out of my price range..either one of those or many others to add to my collection!😁
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:37 pm Sure Ryan. Is that protrusion on the backspring a locking mechanism?
It's called a "Humpback" Mark! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, You have a more than pleasing collection of knives displayed. The Heron knife is a beauty. Not a line out of place; total flow.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you Garry. I have very few, maybe one, Seki made knife that doesn’t impress on every level. These Paragon fixed blades are all made so well, great balance and the fit and finish is top drawer.
PigStikr

Post by PigStikr »

Where can I get me a door mat like that ?? I gotta have one.....
Never Doubt Your Dawg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

PigStikr wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:35 am Where can I get me a door mat like that ?? I gotta have one.....
You can find them online. I bought mine out of a catalog years ago and can’t remember where now but did find the exact mat here:https://www.creationsandcollections.com ... gLP0fD_BwE
Walmart’s “Winhome” has one for about half the price but the font is different.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Wanted to add these three to this thread. First is a Mediterranean barlow by A.G. Russell. Made with black lipped pearl. This knife has a sliding side lock. You apply pressure to move the front side up and it releases the locking mechanism.
Second is a folding lockback by A.G.Russell. Red Micarta handles with ATS-34 stainless blade. Very solid lock up. The run up is especially nice on this one. This one is marked as a factory second. The locking mechanism has some visible grinding marks on them, probably done to make it easier to release.
The third is a smaller folding lockback. Chinese Quince Burlwood handles and ATS-34 blade. The handles have a couple of cracks in them but have been repaired and stabilized. There is a bit of wobble in the blade and this one has been resharpened. Thinking seriously about just using this one, not sure if I want to sell it.
Attachments
IMG_4494.jpeg
IMG_4502.jpeg
IMG_4511.jpeg

Return to “Japanese-made knives”