Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Gary, not that I am aware, but it wouldn’t be the first time I was oblivious to how I sounded, acted or wrote. Just ask my wife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Do Kai made Kershaws fit in here? ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_20191125_214114686.jpg
IMG_20191125_214223443.jpg
IMG_20191125_213957169.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Think so. If they say Seki or Japan on the tang, then yes for sure.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

sharpnshinyknives,

Very nice thread you have going. It's nice to see people appreciate knives from Seki. Great photos from everyone.

Ken
http://hattoricollector.com
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KenHash wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:18 am sharpnshinyknives,

Very nice thread you have going. It's nice to see people appreciate knives from Seki. Great photos from everyone.

Ken
http://hattoricollector.com
Thanks Ken and welcome aboard. Glad this thread caught your eye. I’m working on piecing together a bit more history on Moki and Mcusta. From the link you posted I can tell you may be someone who has a collection of Seki knives. Hope you will feel free to post you Knives here, especially if you have some of Master Hattori’s work in your collection.
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

Thank you but I am no longer actively collecting, having amassed a huge collection of Hattori knives both OEM and own brand. The knives I did own are all used on my website.
Regarding the post above with the Kershaw 1030 and 1050, those are from the first series introduced in 1974. When I met Mr Hattori in Seki several years ago he showed me a 1970 Gerber 5xx series fixed blade which Pete Kershaw had sent him to use as a design basis for his new line of knives. This is before Kai became the owner of Kershaw Knives.
http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/24/the-kershaws/

The1050 continues to be made from time to time, as the H-51 standard in VG10 and also as a limited Cowry-X version.
Attachments
regnl.jpg
kd30ml.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KenHash wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:07 am Thank you but I am no longer actively collecting, having amassed a huge collection of Hattori knives both OEM and own brand. The knives I did own are all used on my website.
Regarding the post above with the Kershaw 1030 and 1050, those are from the first series introduced in 1974. When I met Mr Hattori in Seki several years ago he showed me a 1970 Gerber 5xx series fixed blade which Pete Kershaw had sent him to use as a design basis for his new line of knives. This is before Kai became the owner of Kershaw Knives.
http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/24/the-kershaws/

The1050 continues to be made from time to time, as the H-51 standard in VG10 and also as a limited Cowry-X version.
Great information Ken. Would you mind sharing your website? Are you selling any knives from your collection?
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

Sorry, I'm no longer selling as I'm not in the U.S. anymore.
Not sure what you mean by "share my site", as anyone can access it.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KenHash wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:56 am Sorry, I'm no longer selling as I'm not in the U.S. anymore.
Not sure what you mean by "share my site", as anyone can access it.
Ken, what is the web address? Can you post a link to it?
Thanks
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Beretta Seki City
Attachments
Beretta2019.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thinking that design is very interesting, very unusual, and it appears well made. Knives of this size don't usually draw my attention, but this one definitely does. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

knife7knut wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:59 am Beretta Seki City
This is an interesting pattern, you are seeing more knives this size and style now a days. I have one of similar design and I am surprised at how handy this size blade is for a lot of everyday tasks.
Thanks for sharing.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:18 am
knife7knut wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:59 am Beretta Seki City
This is an interesting pattern, you are seeing more knives this size and style now a days. I have one of similar design and I am surprised at how handy this size blade is for a lot of everyday tasks.
Thanks for sharing.
This is a very well made knife that I bought many years ago(at least 25).
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I have just recently become aware that there is a new genre of knives called "neo-traditional." These are slip-joint with a more modern style or vibe to them. I believe the following is the only one I have that fits the category. I was going to suggest a thread for showing any of the new style knives, but there may be insufficient numbers as yet to warrant a separate thread. Any thoughts?
P1030103.JPG
P1030102.JPG
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Excluding Glock (whose knife actually precedes the pistol), I think Beretta is the only firearm maker with a halfway decent line of knives. The majority of what they make comes from Italy or Japan, and all looks pretty good. While I've really wanted an Airlight (and the fixed blade Skinner in the store here looks great), I simply love that little lockback. Looks like it will cut above its compact size.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very good to have Ken Hash post here. I think he has more in depth factual knowledge about Hattori and other Seki Masters than anyone else.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:42 am I have just recently become aware that there is a new genre of knives called "neo-traditional." These are slip-joint with a more modern style or vibe to them. I believe the following is the only one I have that fits the category. I was going to suggest a thread for showing any of the new style knives, but there may be insufficient numbers as yet to warrant a separate thread. Any thoughts?

P1030103.JPGP1030102.JPG
Garry, those might fit better under the “other Seki made Knives”. Not really sure how many would fit under that category but you know we aren’t running out of space for another thread so if you want to start one maybe it will catch on.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

According to the article in Blade, many major companies are producing them, e.g. Cold Steel, Gerber, LionSteel, and Falkniven. All are slipjoints requiring two handed opening. Cold Steel's entry is Italian made, Falkniven is Japanese, Gerber is China, and of course Lion Steel is Italian made. They are using some interesting steels. I believe all come with pocket clips. Time will tell if these catch on within the AAPK. I rather doubt it, but we will see.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I noticed a few years back that A G Russell was having more and more of these in the catalog and the list of manufacturers was varied. The numbers haven’t slowed down. So maybe this is a trend that would deserve it’s own thread. Although if you include the non Seki made, it should go under the General knife discussion. I’m betting there would be some interest from a broader audience there and quite a few posts. Just my 2 cents.
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:27 am According to the article in Blade, many major companies are producing them, e.g. Cold Steel, Gerber, LionSteel, and Falkniven. All are slipjoints requiring two handed opening. Cold Steel's entry is Italian made, Falkniven is Japanese, Gerber is China, and of course Lion Steel is Italian made. They are using some interesting steels. I believe all come with pocket clips. Time will tell if these catch on within the AAPK. I rather doubt it, but we will see.
All Fallkniven folders including the U1 and LTC are made by Moki, Seki.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:27 am According to the article in Blade, many major companies are producing them, e.g. Cold Steel, Gerber, LionSteel, and Falkniven. All are slipjoints requiring two handed opening. Cold Steel's entry is Italian made, Falkniven is Japanese, Gerber is China, and of course Lion Steel is Italian made. They are using some interesting steels. I believe all come with pocket clips. Time will tell if these catch on within the AAPK. I rather doubt it, but we will see.
QS, I have a Lion Steel and am very impressed with it. ::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Everything I've seen and read about Lion Steel indicates it is excellent quality.
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

orvet wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:45 pm
About the Early Al Mar’s –
I checked all my Utility Series like the one on the left in the first picture, the two different patterns of the Utility Series in my store and a couple of them I sold and none of them had a USA-Seki stamp on them.
Al told me that my Utility Series in the first picture was from the first manufacturer that he had. I had purchased one for myself and one for my dad. When the spring broke on my dad's knife I took both knives to Al and asked him if he could fix the broken spring. That was when he told me, "Those were made by the first manufacturer I had, and they’re not that good. Let me give you a new knife." He was going to replace both knives and I said, "I really don't want to replace mine, it still works fine and I really like it." Al said, "That's fine, I'll replace the one with the broken spring. Huhay makes all of my knives now and he's the best in the world." That was the first time I had heard Huhay's name (I'm not sure of the spelling and I'm sure I have probably spelled it a couple of different ways, but it is pronounced like the English words "hue" and "hay"). I talked with Al on other occasions over the years and Huhay's name came up and it was always in the best context. I have no doubt that Al believed Huhay was absolutely the best knife maker in Japan.
A few years later when the new owner had taken over the company (Gary?) I talked to him at the OKCA show and I ask you if Huhay was still making Al Mar knives. He told me, "Oh no, we got rid of him, Huhay was f---ing Al."
I found that idea incredulous! The impression that I got from our conversation was that he had found someone to make the knives for him cheaper than Huhay and went with the lowest bidder. That is one of the most un-Al Mar things I have ever heard because Al Mar is all about Quality.
I don't know who made/makes Al Mar knives for the new owner, I only know all of the Al Mar knives that I have purchased since Al's death (in October 1982) were ones were made in 1992 or before. I'm sure the new one is are quality knives, but it is very difficult for me to believe that Al could have been so mistaken about the person who made his knives. I think anyone know how Al well would feel the same way.
A little late but reading this post I felt I should comment. I met Mr Yuhei Sakai (pronounced You-Hey) at the G.Sakai factory in Seki. He told me he first met Al Mar in the late 70s when Al Mar came to Seki representing Gerber. Both he and Al were young then, Yuhei was working under his father. The relationship between Al Mar and G.Sakai continued until after Al's passing. Until that time G.Sakai manufactured the Al Mar knives exclusively, with minor subtracting when needed due to time constraints. G.Sakai was making knives for Lynn Thompson(Cold Steel), Sal Glesser(Spyderco) and Spencer Fraser (SOG) at the time. The Fang daggers were subcontracted to Hattori, and the quality of Al Mar's Seki knives never faltered. There was a long, strong and close relationship between Al Mar and Yuhei Sakai. However after Al Mar passed away Gary Fadden took over the company, with considerable dispute with Al Mar's widow and family. Fadden tried to renegotiate the original contract with G.Sakai which permitted them to market and sell Al Mar brand knives outside of the US market. This is the same arrangement that G.Sakai has with Spyderco and SOG even today. Unable to renegotiate, Fadden terminated the decades long relationship with G.Sakai, and contracted with Moki, also of Seki City. Now in 2019, Fadden has sold Al Mar knives to Edge Technologies LLC of Maryland, and Al Mar Knives are now made in China. Not sure how Al Mar, who served in Vietnam would feel about that.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KenHash wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:58 am
orvet wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:45 pm
About the Early Al Mar’s –
I checked all my Utility Series like the one on the left in the first picture, the two different patterns of the Utility Series in my store and a couple of them I sold and none of them had a USA-Seki stamp on them.
Al told me that my Utility Series in the first picture was from the first manufacturer that he had. I had purchased one for myself and one for my dad. When the spring broke on my dad's knife I took both knives to Al and asked him if he could fix the broken spring. That was when he told me, "Those were made by the first manufacturer I had, and they’re not that good. Let me give you a new knife." He was going to replace both knives and I said, "I really don't want to replace mine, it still works fine and I really like it." Al said, "That's fine, I'll replace the one with the broken spring. Huhay makes all of my knives now and he's the best in the world." That was the first time I had heard Huhay's name (I'm not sure of the spelling and I'm sure I have probably spelled it a couple of different ways, but it is pronounced like the English words "hue" and "hay"). I talked with Al on other occasions over the years and Huhay's name came up and it was always in the best context. I have no doubt that Al believed Huhay was absolutely the best knife maker in Japan.
A few years later when the new owner had taken over the company (Gary?) I talked to him at the OKCA show and I ask you if Huhay was still making Al Mar knives. He told me, "Oh no, we got rid of him, Huhay was f---ing Al."
I found that idea incredulous! The impression that I got from our conversation was that he had found someone to make the knives for him cheaper than Huhay and went with the lowest bidder. That is one of the most un-Al Mar things I have ever heard because Al Mar is all about Quality.
I don't know who made/makes Al Mar knives for the new owner, I only know all of the Al Mar knives that I have purchased since Al's death (in October 1982) were ones were made in 1992 or before. I'm sure the new one is are quality knives, but it is very difficult for me to believe that Al could have been so mistaken about the person who made his knives. I think anyone know how Al well would feel the same way.
A little late but reading this post I felt I should comment. I met Mr Yuhei Sakai (pronounced You-Hey) at the G.Sakai factory in Seki. He told me he first met Al Mar in the late 70s when Al Mar came to Seki representing Gerber. Both he and Al were young then, Yuhei was working under his father. The relationship between Al Mar and G.Sakai continued until after Al's passing. Until that time G.Sakai manufactured the Al Mar knives exclusively, with minor subtracting when needed due to time constraints. G.Sakai was making knives for Lynn Thompson(Cold Steel), Sal Glesser(Spyderco) and Spencer Fraser (SOG) at the time. The Fang daggers were subcontracted to Hattori, and the quality of Al Mar's Seki knives never faltered. There was a long, strong and close relationship between Al Mar and Yuhei Sakai. However after Al Mar passed away Gary Fadden took over the company, with considerable dispute with Al Mar's widow and family. Fadden tried to renegotiate the original contract with G.Sakai which permitted them to market and sell Al Mar brand knives outside of the US market. This is the same arrangement that G.Sakai has with Spyderco and SOG even today. Unable to renegotiate, Fadden terminated the decades long relationship with G.Sakai, and contracted with Moki, also of Seki City. Now in 2019, Fadden has sold Al Mar knives to Edge Technologies LLC of Maryland, and Al Mar Knives are now made in China. Not sure how Al Mar, who served in Vietnam would feel about that.
Thank you Ken for sharing this history. It’s unfortunate that history seems to repeat itself so much in the knife community. So many great brands sold out to the cheapest bidder. At least people who study and are in the know, like collectors, have helpful folks like you and others here on the forum to point us toward the truly best to own knives.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”