Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Quick Steel »

The Japanese productions seem to come from another dimension. ::tu::
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 am What would be the ultimate is to find an original Cattaraugus of the same pattern in top condition. Even though pattern might be identical pocket knives somehow have personalities and the presence given off by an old USA made knife is different from a recent Japan made knife. Nothing to do with which is 'better' just fascinating that they would seem different, demonstrable if you had an example of each.
This pattern is deeper than the usual sleeveboard. I am not sure what it is called other than whittler maybe "sleeveboard baby sunfish whittler" ?
oh, nice knife too ! ::super_happy::
kj
Roland, I was just browsing this thread and read your post. I have one of these original Catt Jumbo Whittlers that the A.G. Russell used to model his knife after. This is the Cattaraugus 32959. It has a 100 year old patina, not shinny anymore but the blades are full. This is one of my favorite knives.
Attachments
CATT JUMBO FT.jpg
CATT JUMBO BK.jpg
Barry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Barry. That really is a beauty. Such an elegant pattern and the condition is perfect & real, never buffed/cleaned.
You have some very fine knives.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:22 pm The Japanese productions seem to come from another dimension. ::tu::
Garry, that’s a good way to describe it. I have no idea how they do it, but they must be very dedicated, obsessed with detail and perfectionists. Plus their designs are amazing too.
On the older Cattaraugus sleeveboard Whittler, I would say they nailed the reproduction of that one.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

When I set my attention on something to collect I don’t let moss grow under my feet. Here is another Cattaraugus from A.G.Russell’s KCC. This one is a toothpick. Has an interesting bolster lock. Not the bolster lock that moves the entire bolster but part of the bolster is moveable into a locking position on the blade. I like it but it’s a little difficult to move, unlock most liner locks. It also has the mirror polish on the back-springs, which I love. This is a small toothpick at 3” closed OAL. Again impeccable fit and finish.
Attachments
IMG_1600.jpeg
IMG_1601.jpeg
IMG_1602.jpeg
IMG_1605.jpeg
IMG_1607.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I've got his big bro, comes in around 4 5/8".
Attachments
IMG_20191003_193221141.jpg
IMG_20191003_193252395.jpg
IMG_20191003_193305464.jpg
IMG_20191003_193314638.jpg
IMG_20191003_193332788.jpg
IMG_20191003_193239694.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s considerable bigger. I’m hunting for all of them at this point. I bet these make good EDC knives. I like a locking blade on any knife I carry and use. That’s a nice one you have there.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 pm When I set my attention on something to collect I don’t let moss grow under my feet. Here is another Cattaraugus from A.G.Russell’s KCC. This one is a toothpick. Has an interesting bolster lock. Not the bolster lock that moves the entire bolster but part of the bolster is moveable into a locking position on the blade. I like it but it’s a little difficult to move, unlock most liner locks. It also has the mirror polish on the back-springs, which I love. This is a small toothpick at 3” closed OAL. Again impeccable fit and finish.
I like the bolster lock ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Bump ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Bump Bump ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

kennedy knives wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:42 pm I like the bolster lock ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I think Robeson first came up with the bolster lock toothpick/powder horn, but Charlie would know more about that.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:10 am
kennedy knives wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:42 pm I like the bolster lock ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I think Robeson first came up with the bolster lock toothpick/powder horn, but Charlie would know more about that.
Would be nice if someone could post one for viewing ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

kennedy knives wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Here's a link to the Robeson Tickler with bolster lock-

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=61441&p=720461&hil ... ck#p720461

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:17 pm
kennedy knives wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Here's a link to the Robeson Tickler with bolster lock-

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=61441&p=720461&hil ... ck#p720461
Thanks good info !!!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

What's up can't get this post moved up?????? Mark did you make someone mad?????
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Gary, not that I am aware, but it wouldn’t be the first time I was oblivious to how I sounded, acted or wrote. Just ask my wife.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Do Kai made Kershaws fit in here? ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_20191125_214114686.jpg
IMG_20191125_214223443.jpg
IMG_20191125_213957169.jpg

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Think so. If they say Seki or Japan on the tang, then yes for sure.
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

sharpnshinyknives,

Very nice thread you have going. It's nice to see people appreciate knives from Seki. Great photos from everyone.

Ken
http://hattoricollector.com
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KenHash wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:18 am sharpnshinyknives,

Very nice thread you have going. It's nice to see people appreciate knives from Seki. Great photos from everyone.

Ken
http://hattoricollector.com
Thanks Ken and welcome aboard. Glad this thread caught your eye. I’m working on piecing together a bit more history on Moki and Mcusta. From the link you posted I can tell you may be someone who has a collection of Seki knives. Hope you will feel free to post you Knives here, especially if you have some of Master Hattori’s work in your collection.
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

Thank you but I am no longer actively collecting, having amassed a huge collection of Hattori knives both OEM and own brand. The knives I did own are all used on my website.
Regarding the post above with the Kershaw 1030 and 1050, those are from the first series introduced in 1974. When I met Mr Hattori in Seki several years ago he showed me a 1970 Gerber 5xx series fixed blade which Pete Kershaw had sent him to use as a design basis for his new line of knives. This is before Kai became the owner of Kershaw Knives.
http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/24/the-kershaws/

The1050 continues to be made from time to time, as the H-51 standard in VG10 and also as a limited Cowry-X version.
Attachments
regnl.jpg
kd30ml.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KenHash wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:07 am Thank you but I am no longer actively collecting, having amassed a huge collection of Hattori knives both OEM and own brand. The knives I did own are all used on my website.
Regarding the post above with the Kershaw 1030 and 1050, those are from the first series introduced in 1974. When I met Mr Hattori in Seki several years ago he showed me a 1970 Gerber 5xx series fixed blade which Pete Kershaw had sent him to use as a design basis for his new line of knives. This is before Kai became the owner of Kershaw Knives.
http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/24/the-kershaws/

The1050 continues to be made from time to time, as the H-51 standard in VG10 and also as a limited Cowry-X version.
Great information Ken. Would you mind sharing your website? Are you selling any knives from your collection?
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

Sorry, I'm no longer selling as I'm not in the U.S. anymore.
Not sure what you mean by "share my site", as anyone can access it.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

KenHash wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:56 am Sorry, I'm no longer selling as I'm not in the U.S. anymore.
Not sure what you mean by "share my site", as anyone can access it.
Ken, what is the web address? Can you post a link to it?
Thanks
KenHash

Post by KenHash »

Return to “Japanese-made knives”