Post your Al-Mar's

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Al-Mar's

Post by Madmarco »

That's an interesting link Mark, thank you. That engraved .357 "Python" in your picture is over-the-top! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Forgot to post this one here as well, it too sold quickly and is already sold. I bought this Al Mar from a former store owner that had access to prototypes and salesman’s samples. This one was one of these samples. I think it was called a Falcon, measures 4” OAL. Special kind of grip covers that I can’t remember right now. The thumb stud is taller than the earlier versions of this knife. It’s a sweet knife that opens up smoothly and looks up tight. The knife is over 30 years old. Made in Seki Japan.
Attachments
38F0EDC4-F7AF-4B3D-B5EC-B60B1A94E41A.jpeg
A6BF4CFB-AB48-4A75-859D-6822F8093B94.jpeg
50F5572A-8B30-4913-8EAF-F52E4544D414.jpeg
675585EE-FF83-427D-8A68-A875FBA8D224.jpeg
E1A4D69B-5D30-46EF-B7E1-650CE65599EF.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice Mark! My kindda knife for sure! Not hard to see why it sold so quickly! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark, it was not easy to part with this one. It just opened so smoothly and locked up tight. The handles gave it a great grip.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::tu:: ! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've had this knife for a bit, but I'm just posting it now!
It's an 8 1/2" oal Al Mar "Gameskeeper" mid-lockback, with a SS dagger blade, nicely grained black micarta covers, SS top bolster, NS butt bolster pins and guards, brass liners, and a lanyard hole.
Nice weight of almost 5 oz.'s and arrived Al Mar sharp.
Smooth n' easy pull along with similar closing.
Perfect fit and finish.
One fine knife made by the folks in Seki, Japan!
8)
WIN_20221130_15_54_48_Pro.jpg
WIN_20221130_15_54_21_Pro.jpg
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:43 pm I've had this knife for a bit, but I'm just posting it now!
It's an 8 1/2" oal Al Mar "Gameskeeper" mid-lockback, with a SS dagger blade, nicely grained black micarta covers, SS top bolster, NS butt bolster pins and guards, brass liners, and a lanyard hole.
Nice weight of almost 5 oz.'s and arrived Al Mar sharp.
Smooth n' easy pull along with similar closing.
Perfect fit and finish.
One fine knife made by the folks in Seki, Japan!
8)WIN_20221130_15_54_48_Pro.jpgWIN_20221130_15_54_21_Pro.jpg
I knew you had good taste in knives and that shows it :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Aww, thank you much Gary. I can barely believe this knife is as nice as it actually is.
I caught the Al Mar bug from viewing all the beautiful models you own.
Not a bad bug to catch, huh!
8)
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Set of Al-Mar Osprey
Attachments
IMG_4721.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Beautiful set Gary, simply beautiful.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ditto what Mark said, Gary, absolutely stunning!
8)
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:30 pm Ditto what Mark said, Gary, absolutely stunning!
8)
Thanks for the comment But I must confess There my Wife's knives go with her Mini Knife Collection
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 pm Beautiful set Gary, simply beautiful.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Gary, your collection of Al Mar knives is so extensive that I think it is a real tribute to the man and his products. ::handshake::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:25 am Gary, your collection of Al Mar knives is so extensive that I think it is a real tribute to the man and his products. ::handshake::
Thanks Garry
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kennedy knives wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:46 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:30 pm Ditto what Mark said, Gary, absolutely stunning!
8)
Thanks for the comment But I must confess There my Wife's knives go with her Mini Knife Collection
Yours, hers, ::shrug:: it really doesn't matter since you both have the chance to view and fiddle with them under the same roof.
It stands to reason that your better half has great taste in her knives too, just like you.
I totally admire your focus regarding collecting, you chose something you like of high quality, Al Mars, and stuck to them without wandering all over the place collecting other models like I do with mine. Same thing with all your Randall's. Kudos to your taste and willpower, Gary!
8)
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:37 pm
kennedy knives wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:46 pm
8)
Yours, hers, ::shrug:: it really doesn't matter since you both have the chance to view and fiddle with them under the same roof.
It stands to reason that your better half has great taste in her knives too, just like you.
I totally admire your focus regarding collecting, you chose something you like of high quality, Al Mars, and stuck to them without wandering all over the place collecting other models like I do with mine. Same thing with all your Randall's. Kudos to your taste and willpower, Gary!
8)
Thanks for your kind words
:D :D :D :D ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Picked up an Al Mar Denali this week. The cocobolo handles are some of the finest I have seen. Engraved by Valade in 1992 this is one special knife. 6A stainless steel blade that is hollow ground. The figural cocobolo handles are very nice with deep dark color and you can see the pattern of rings. Guess I need to sell some others to make room for this one. I have reached critical mass with my collection. I’m running out of room and decided that the answer is to sell off an equal dollar amount of knives when I take a new one into the fold. This one will require at least 2 GEC knives to sell to compensate. My loss someone else’s gain.
Attachments
E50A3D6F-A343-4579-8E38-FDEC50FD5F7C.jpeg
BC8A33C9-9F90-4F97-928E-5ABDE76F33C1.jpeg
05FE4EAE-5EE6-4DEA-96A1-DBA736C8310E.jpeg
CF41244C-05FE-4E80-B2EA-6ED7F995A1C7.jpeg
80CEA374-D654-49CD-AAEC-80A4D63C779C.jpeg
01D266D7-04C0-4C60-971D-60CF474C5189.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mark, my dear friend, one could hardly call receiving that knife a loss, while at the same time you'd be hard pressed to find 2 GEC's exceptional enough to call them a gain over this knife. This model has the "flowing" effect between tang and spine we were discussing previously and what appears to be an extremely tight "run-up".
When I recently purchased my new Al Mar "Gameskeepper" I was 1-click away from it being a "Denali" that was also available, and it's still on my "Watchlist" for when my arms and legs grow back from the "Gameskeepper" purchase.
The one I was viewing was their simple plain-jane model with no engraving or other embellishments, but still gorgeous.
I know how aware you are of just how nice these Al Mar knives are, so don't be too surprised when you find yourself concentrating more and more on them. Not a bad knife to focus on, huh!
Congratulations on this fabulous acquisition, buddy, it will fit right in with your other extraordinary pieces.
At the place you bought your copy, was the knife listed as an Al Mar "Denali/Top Gun" or just as a "Denali", cuz ebay and Google search call them the former? Just curious!
8)
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:21 pm Picked up an Al Mar Denali this week. The cocobolo handles are some of the finest I have seen. Engraved by Valade in 1992 this is one special knife. 6A stainless steel blade that is hollow ground. The figural cocobolo handles are very nice with deep dark color and you can see the pattern of rings. Guess I need to sell some others to make room for this one. I have reached critical mass with my collection. I’m running out of room and decided that the answer is to sell off an equal dollar amount of knives when I take a new one into the fold. This one will require at least 2 GEC knives to sell to compensate. My loss someone else’s gain.
Mark after handling that one you know without a doubt that GEC is Nice But still not in the same league with some of the Japanese made Knives. ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mark it was just listed as a Denali and not a Top Gun. Thanks for the kind words. I am very excited about it, you know I like wooden handles and this one has some that are exceptional, in my opinion. I like the slanted bolsters and the engraving is over the top.

Yes Gary I agree, from the first Moki I purchased, I knew what I wanted to focus on and these Japanese quality knives are some of the finest out there.
I haven’t made the commitment yet to collect the Fallknivens folding knives that Moki makes, but I’m getting close, if I do, then I will be selling even more.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”