Post your Al-Mar's

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post your Al-Mar's

Post by kennedy knives »

A place to post your Al-Mar's
Attachments
AL-MAR 002.JPG
AL-MAR 003.JPG
AL-MAR 004.JPG
AL-MAR 006.JPG
AL-MAR 008.JPG
AL-MAR 009.JPG
AL-MAR 010.JPG
AL-MAR 015.JPG
AL-MAR 014.JPG
AL-MAR 001.JPG
Montanaman

Re: Post your Al-Mar's

Post by Montanaman »

Love the Al Mar fixed blades ::tu:: That passport is such a sweet folder.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

That's quite a collection!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow!! That's a very nice collection you have there Gary, especially the fixed blades. Nicely done. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Now I know why I never see Al Mar's for sale anymore;you have them all! Seriously that is a great collection of some great knives.I only have four of them but I'm happy with them.All of them came to me for great prices.
The S.E.R.E. was only twenty bucks;the Osprey was four(!);the metal handled one came in a trade and the last one was about sixty dollars.
Attachments
AlMarKnife2018 2 001.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

knife7knut wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:51 pm Now I know why I never see Al Mar's for sale anymore;you have them all! Seriously that is a great collection of some great knives.I only have four of them but I'm happy with them.All of them came to me for great prices.
The S.E.R.E. was only twenty bucks;the Osprey was four(!);the metal handled one came in a trade and the last one was about sixty dollars.
Some Great Early Al-Mar's you have there . I would Double Your money if you want to sell :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

XX Case XX wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm Wow!! That's a very nice collection you have there Gary, especially the fixed blades. Nicely done. ::nod::

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Gary, just out of curiosity, what's this knife here? Handle material? Approximate overall length?

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Gary, you have the best Al Mar collection I’ve ever seen. I enjoy seeing this all again. So very envious.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

XX Case XX wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:43 am Gary, just out of curiosity, what's this knife here? Handle material? Approximate overall length?

Steel 6A

Gary
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:02 am Gary, you have the best Al Mar collection I’ve ever seen. I enjoy seeing this all again. So very envious.
Thanks Mark I like the Sere all 3 versions Luck if you can find any with Stag or the Early White Micarta which is yellow to me
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kennedy knives wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:29 am That is Utility Tanken TW Model # 4101
OAL is 9 3/4" Handles are Gold Titanwood
Steel 6A
Thanks Gary. Beautiful knife that one.

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Bump on the AL-Mars show them if you have them
Attachments
First 13 Al-Mar's in Factory Case 1979
First 13 Al-Mar's in Factory Case 1979
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

How long is the Eagle folder KK? Are they for sale? Thx! 8)
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Madmarco wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 pm How long is the Eagle folder KK? Are they for sale? Thx! 8)
Closed length is 4 7/8"
Blade Length is 4 "
I would not break it up very rare to find a factory display from 1979 with most of the red boxes also
Gary
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kennedy knives wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 pm Bump on the AL-Mars show them if you have them
I would think this is a very rare set.
None of my business, but it would be sad to see it broken up.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

O.K. Gary, thanks! I don't blame you for not wanting to break-up the set, was just asking. Also, in some of your pics I'm seeing 3 Secret Service stilettos side-by-side. I'm calling them that because that's how they were described on ebay, but, when I looked at the one in your store, you called it a Quicksilver. I went to the Al-Mar website and the knife that they are calling Quicksilver is somewhat different. It doesn't have a bail, and also has duel "flippers" instead of a thumb-stud, and is 11 1/4", and yours is 7 7/8". I'm wondering if you would part with 1 of them, or do you consider them a set too? And, are they 7 7/8" as well? Thx! 8)
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

edge213 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:48 pm
kennedy knives wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 pm Bump on the AL-Mars show them if you have them
I would think this is a very rare set.
None of my business, but it would be sad to see it broken up.
you are a 100% right would be a shame to break up history that I could not replace . There staying together ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Madmarco wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:03 am O.K. Gary, thanks! I don't blame you for not wanting to break-up the set, was just asking. Also, in some of your pics I'm seeing 3 Secret Service stilettos side-by-side. I'm calling them that because that's how they were described on ebay, but, when I looked at the one in your store, you called it a Quicksilver. I went to the Al-Mar website and the knife that they are calling Quicksilver is somewhat different. It doesn't have a bail, and also has duel "flippers" instead of a thumb-stud, and is 11 1/4", and yours is 7 7/8". I'm wondering if you would part with 1 of them, or do you consider them a set too? And, are they 7 7/8" as well? Thx! 8)
They are referred as Quick Silver in Al-Mars older catalogue before his death so I will go with that . There is 3 variation of the Quick Silver as you can see from the phot I shared . & yes I will sell any in my store . I may have a few more that's not in the store just tell me which one you are looking to get
Gary
Attachments
IMG_8635.JPG
IMG_8634.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Wow, I'm really confused now! ::shrug:: The Q/S in your pics doesn't have flippers, but the one on the Al-Mar website does. I'd like to get one that's a minimum of 9" open, but, I much prefer the 11 1/4", BUT, as I said the one I saw has flippers, and would be seized by Canada Customs, but, the Jumbo in your pics doesn't appear to have flippers, so it's the model I prefer. The ONLY knives that won't be seized are models that are slip-joints, and ones with thumb-studs. If a model has both flippers and studs it will be seized and destroyed. It doesn't make a lick of sense since both models can be opened with 1 hand, other than slip-joints! DUH! ::dang:: Freaking government idiots! So, to answer your question, I'd like a Jumbo like the one in your pic, but, with a plain edge blade, NOT serrated. Good luck finding that huh? 8)
8)
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Madmarco wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:26 am Wow, I'm really confused now! ::shrug:: The Q/S in your pics doesn't have flippers, but the one on the Al-Mar website does. I'd like to get one that's a minimum of 9" open, but, I much prefer the 11 1/4", BUT, as I said the one I saw has flippers, and would be seized by Canada Customs, but, the Jumbo in your pics doesn't appear to have flippers, so it's the model I prefer. The ONLY knives that won't be seized are models that are slip-joints, and ones with thumb-studs. If a model has both flippers and studs it will be seized and destroyed. It doesn't make a lick of sense since both models can be opened with 1 hand, other than slip-joints! DUH! ::dang:: Freaking government idiots! So, to answer your question, I'd like a Jumbo like the one in your pic, but, with a plain edge blade, NOT serrated. Good luck finding that huh? 8)
let me look in my Al-Mar Knives tomorrow and see if I have a plain edge that's my preference also
Gary
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

O.K. thanks Gary, I'll wait to hear from you! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got in a couple of Al Mar knives today. I was really excited to finally get these. I have been wanting some of these that were hand engraved by the great silversmith Valade. He is most famous for his hand engraving on guns but he did a great number of these all stainless handled Al Mars. Each one is hand engraved and one of a kind. The small one is an Osprey and the larger one is a Hawk. Made by Moki many years ago.
Attachments
DA8102E3-5499-4E0C-BBA0-6E2543C53BF1.jpeg
AA8D04CE-9330-4B76-91FA-490E07FC46FE.jpeg
CD87922A-CF25-4655-A6F1-0C300C4BF92A.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Those sure are gorgeous Mark. I've not seen these anywhere I've searched knives so they're brand new to me. Now, if they would only make a 9" "Eagle" I'd have no excuse for not getting one. Definitely my kindda knife! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark. Here is a link to an article about Robert Valade: https://chroniclesmagazine.org/web/american-artisan/
Here is a picture of one of the guns he hand engraved.
The article says he worked for Gerber Legendary blades, which is why he was probably hooked up engraving these Al Mars. For anyone not familiar with this great artisan, he is worth getting to know and getting something engraved by him.
Attachments
911051E7-9191-4DD4-A9D2-15D699A55614.jpeg

Return to “Japanese-made knives”