Post your Mcusta’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Mcusta’s

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Just spotted this beauty today. Mokume Damascus blade and bolster. Here is the info: “2022 MCUSTA MC-0145 LIMITED EDITION

The Platinum Label collection by Mcusta offers the highest degree of quality and craftsmanship with special limited edition knives. This custom collection focuses on unique designs with special materials and finishes which exemplify Mcusta's passion for precision and traditional Japanese craftsmanship. Only a handful of these were produced by Mcusta for the 2022 Blade Show held in Atlanta Georgia.

This stunning knife features a mokume damascus blade with an SPG2 powder steel core, mokume bolsters, and maple burl handle. This is a linerlock knife and feels great in the hand due to the bamboo design. The pocket clip is textured and looks great. It comes in a colorful nishijin pouch in a wood box.”

WOW, what a great knife. Price is great too, 650 dollars. Save your money for one of these.
Blow up the pictures to see the rainbow colors in the Damascus.
Attachments
4B16D4C7-BDA0-4269-BEED-BD0B8176CF53.jpeg
FDA561EF-0B46-438C-8571-39BE0D550E76.jpeg
391E8BF1-8AAB-488A-98D2-1E5140D1D6BF.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Wow! That's a stunner Mark! I've had my eye on their model just like this one but with black wooden covers for a long time, but the high price has kept me at bay, so to save $650. for this one is unlikely on my part! I do have my model with all Damascus handles shaped like bamboo and I'm really happy with that one! Beautiful knife if ya got the bucks! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I agree Mark, it is expensive. I know Mokume Damascus is expensive to make and work, but it’s simply gorgeous when it’s on a knife. I have a knife with Mokume and it cost a pretty penny too, not far off this price. Don’t know if I will spring for one of these or not? That would be my knife budget for several months. I love the wood handles they used on these, that with the Mokume makes this a real winner in my book.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Being expensive certainly doesn't mean the knife isn't worth that price Mark, IMHO. High quality materials, skilled handmade work, every attention to detail, it still stands true, you get what you pay for! Whenever someone is undecided about purchasing a higher priced knife, I always play devil's advocate and say, "buy it", and I'm not gonna stop now, my vote is you "buy it" to go along with the other model you own already! But then again, I'm probably the worst money manager that ever existed! ::facepalm:: 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This thread has been dead for too long so here are a few of my Mcustas. Post them if you have them.
Attachments
IMG_5452.jpeg
IMG_5453.jpeg
IMG_5454.jpeg
IMG_5455.jpeg
IMG_5456.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Just as gorgeous as the first time I saw them, Mark.
I will never tire of viewing such nice knives, and might even add a couple to my knives eventually.
That model in the last picture has me intrigued, I just love it.
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That last one and the third one down are from their annual premium offerings. They only make a few of these and they are expensive and hard to get on the secondary market. I jumped on both of these when I saw them for sale on eBay.
For some reason there hasn’t been much activity on this thread for a considerable amount of time. Mcusta makes some of the finest knives you can buy, so that puzzles me?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I agree it seems odd, Mark, but you know how these things go; there will be a flurry of posts on certain brands then there will be a lull, just like now.
I'm sure they'll pick-up eventually!
8)
8)
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

Here is a small one... less than 3" blade. According to the box it came in, the handles are Jute Micarta.
Attachments
IMG_4742.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a cool little knife, Jtx!
I don't recall ever seeing a Mcusta that small, looks good!
Congratulations! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Jtx, that is a nice looking little Mcusta. I’ve seen these many times and never pulled the trigger, I think that would be a handy knife for the pocket.
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:02 pm That's a cool little knife, Jtx!
I don't recall ever seeing a Mcusta that small, looks good!
Congratulations! ::handshake::
8)
Thanks Madmarco ::handshake::
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:30 am Jtx, that is a nice looking little Mcusta. I’ve seen these many times and never pulled the trigger, I think that would be a handy knife for the pocket.
Thank you Sharpnshinyknives. It is a great little secondary knife. ::handshake::
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

Here is the other side of my small Mcusta. It is blue on the back and orange on the front. I am really enjoying carrying this knife.
Attachments
IMG_4738.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Had the chance to pick up another of the Kamon series of knives. They produced 8 different Kamon’s or family crests knives back a few years ago. Part of the annual custom premium series of knives. This one has a VG-10 core with 33 layer Damascus steel. Stainless steel handles with laser cut out of the family crest which is then enameled. So far I’ve scored 3 of the 8 over the last 3 years. These are hard to find and rarely come up on the secondary market. They make these in very limited quantities, usually of just 50 so you can see why they are so hard to find. Thought you might enjoy seeing all that I have acquired so far.
Attachments
IMG_6633.jpeg
IMG_6635.jpeg
IMG_6637.jpeg
IMG_6640.jpeg
IMG_6641.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've had those on my mental watchlist for awhile, Mark, I find them just brilliant. If I'd known they are hard to come by I probably would have bought one by now. I like these almost a much as my basket-weave pattern. Congratulations on finding another for your collection!
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Yes Mark these are very hard to find and are worth the effort to watch for them. They did their usual great job on these. The premium series are getting to be extremely expensive, with prices in the 400 to 600 range. Yet they sell out consistently. Got this one for a steal compared to what they cost brand new and I was willing to go a good bit higher to get this one. Sometimes “the blind hog finds an acorn” as they say.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

"Blind-hog Mark"!
Sounds like a blues harmonica player! ::rotflol::
8)
8)
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

I see a lot of beautiful Mcusta knives in this thread. Here's a little of mine.
Attachments
Mcusta MC-0101.jpg
Mcusta MC-0041C.jpg
Mcusta LMC-1305.jpg
Mcusta MC-0083.jpg
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

So good to see you posting Vit with the current challenges in your hometown - stay safe my friend.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

bestgear wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:14 pm So good to see you posting Vit with the current challenges in your hometown - stay safe my friend.
Thanks Tom!
Favorite things add a little positivity to me.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Nice Vit, I own all the same knives except the money clip knife. Beautiful. Thanks for posting these.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Those are beautiful knives, Vit, thanks for sowing them to us! ::handshake::
8)
8)

Return to “Japanese-made knives”