Post your Mcusta’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post your Mcusta’s

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thought I would give a little history of Mcusta here on the initial page of this thread. Mcusta started close to 35 years ago. Based in Seki City Japan, Mcusta’s name is a combination of “machined custom”. Mcusta uses high quality metals and wood for their knives. All Mcusta’s use VG-10 stainless steel either alone or in a San Mai form. For those not familiar w/ the word San Mai, it simply means a “jacket”. So a VG-10 core would be the hardest stainless steel used for the edge w/ a jacket of other metal. Usually it’s a Damascus stainless but not always. I will post pictures of both.
Mcusta styles their knives from traditional Japanese style knives. Which might be one reason they aren’t as well known or popular w/ collectors. But anyone who has handled one soon finds themselves falling in love with these knives. The precision, high quality of materials and fit and finish are hard to beat unless you buy a custom made knife. Mcusta makes mostly knives that would be considered “tactical” by nature. Made of thicker blade steel and using either thumb studs or a hole in the blade for one handed deployment. They use an oiled washer system for smooth as silk action. Many knives come w/ a pocket clip.
Annually Mcusta issues a very limited quantity of custom knives and if you are lucky enough to get one and can afford it, these are amazing knives to collect. Hopefully there will be some posted later.
I am working on finding out more about Mcusta and Moki and will update information in this and a subsequent thread for Moki’s.
Start posting.
Below is a blade made w/ just a jacket of metal and the other is a jacket of 33 layer Damascus. Both knives have handles made from 33 layer Damascus stainless.
Attachments
IMG_1585.jpeg
IMG_4927.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Mcusta’s

Since I posted those two knives, thought I would post all of them. These are the MC-3 series. There are 7 total knives in the series. Thanks to Gary Kennedy for helping me fill out my collection. If you are collecting all 7 of these, the cross cut basket weave is now produced w/ the 33 layer Damascus San Mai blade instead of the single layer San Mai blade. Just something to be aware of when you purchase. Oh and the price went up on this one with that change.
The handles on all of these are 33 layer Damascus. When you look at these you see why they say “machined customs”. I haven’t seen any US manufacturer doing this type of work, especially not at the prices these go for.
Attachments
IMG_4938.jpeg
IMG_4939.jpeg
IMG_4941.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Knives like these make me consider going back to work to up my income. :)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Beautiful collection. The cross cut basket weave really stands out.
You stated: "I haven’t seen any US manufacturer doing this type of work, especially not at the prices these go for".
It seems as if only Custom knife makers go to such detail and the price would is always crazy high.
So...those of us that like this type of knife must resort to other overseas manufactures. Not only Japan but also Chinese Rough Rider which make some very beautiful knives.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got this beauty for Christmas. Mcusta only made this once, it’s now discontinued. They call it “Jazz” for obvious reasons. This knife really shows off the talent of the Japanese for making inlays, whether it be wood or shell. Imagine all the steps that it took to cut the ebony and cocobolo in that shape and to fit it to the stainless musical accent which has to be positioned perfectly to line up with the stainless blade pin. When you see all the annual knives that Mcusta makes, you will see they do this type of work well. It’s amazing looking at a line up of the custom or annual “specials” and seeing the difficulty of making each one, whether it’s this one or the frogs jumping on the lily pads, the koi fish or the crane or any of the others.
This one comes in two versions, one has just a plain VG-10 blade and this one has a San Mai blade of 33 layer Damascus and VG-10 core.
I think the silky smooth deployment is one of the best I have ever felt on a Mcusta. They use an oiled washer on all their knives and it’s always superb but this one is exceptionally smooth.
Attachments
IMG_1910.jpeg
IMG_1911.jpeg
IMG_1912.jpeg
IMG_1913.jpeg
IMG_1914.jpeg
IMG_1915.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That this is a production knife, limited but not a custom, is awesome.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mcusta released another custom limited production knife and I missed it. This is one of their best that they have ever produced. Here is the description from the JKD website: MCSY-001 SHINWA Sereis "YATAGARASU" Folding Liner Lock knife, 3-1/4" Aogami (Blue steel) core forge layered Rainbow Damascus steels of stainless, copper and brass with Black hammer forged Tsuchime and thumb studs (both sides), 4-1/4" Dark purple Corian handle with Copper Sunshine and Gold Yatagarasu bird inlays, Trimmed with Stainless Damascus bolster and frame, Comes with Nishijin cloth pouch, Wooden presentation box and Certificate.

Aogami Rainbow Damascus blade in 2.8mm, 85mm blade, 194mm Overall, Weight 140g

Retail $670.00 JKD Special $600.00 SOLD OUT

600 bucks and it sold out. Only 50 of these were made. That’s a big stretch on price but from the looks of it, it would have been worth it.
Attachments
IMG_0304.jpeg
IMG_0305.jpeg
TPK

Post by TPK »

Great looking collection Mark! ::tu:: I'm with Dan, that weaved design really is an eye catcher! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thought I would add a few of my Mcusta's
Attachments
1 of 50
1 of 50
MCUSTA 012.JPG
MCUSTA 023.JPG
My favorite to carry
My favorite to carry
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I am genuinely in awe of these knives. Their just on an entirely different level; functional pieces of beautiful and high quality art. That these are your using knives Gary indicates your knife standards are of the highest.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:33 pm I am genuinely in awe of these knives. Their just on an entirely different level; functional pieces of beautiful and high quality art. That these are your using knives Gary indicates your knife standards are of the highest.
Well Garry I tried one and couldn't put it down, holds an edge, light weight just great quality . I carry one of these and a Case XX Tadpole :D
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Quick Steel wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:33 pm I am genuinely in awe of these knives. Their just on an entirely different level; functional pieces of beautiful and high quality art. That these are your using knives Gary indicates your knife standards are of the highest.
Well Garry I tried one and couldn't put it down, holds an edge, light weight just great quality . I carry one of these and a Case XX Tadpole :D
I agree w/ you Gary. Once you get one of these knives in hand, it’s hard to put down. The blade deploys w/ a silky smoothness that is addictive. You just open and close it again and again. Gives me something to do w/ my hands while I am sitting at my desk.
I like those custom knives you have up there and the EDC’s are pretty impressive too.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Mark Thanks ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Well I got carried away. I always get excited when I see one of these Custom Limited Editions come up for sale, but this seller had 2 of them and I was determined to get both, and I did.
I am still trying to determine the year of this first one. Not sure what Mcusta called it but I would imagine Budonoki would have been the name, since that is Japanese for Vine. The handle is either Rosewood, Sandlewood or Cocobola and I am not sure. It does not have the spicy smell of Sandlewood but it is a bit too dark for Rosewood and not light enough for me to be sure it’s Cocobola. I have a contact in Japan that I will be asking shortly. The vine pattern is nickel silver and perfectly placed in the handles. Blade is VG-10 and has the Mcusta oiled washer system for silky smooth deployment.
The second one is called Kaeru which is Japanese for frog. The handles I know are Cocobola with the frog and lily pads made of nickel silver w/ turquoise in the frog and a green precious stone in the pads. Made in 2008 and limited to only 50 pieces. Blade is VG-10 w/ the same oiled washer system for smooth deployment.
Both models also came w/ a San Mai blade version.
Attachments
IMG_2861.jpeg
IMG_2863.jpeg
IMG_2865.jpeg
IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2867.jpeg
IMG_2869.jpeg
IMG_2870.jpeg
IMG_2872.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Pretty Knives Mark if you look inside were the Tang area is you should see a serial #
Gary
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:22 pm Pretty Knives Mark if you look inside were the Tang area is you should see a serial #
Gary
Yes, I did happen to see that and it matches what’s on the box. One is #18 and the other is #38. The Kaeru is from the year after your Ginkgo and pine needles. Any idea on the year my vine one was produced?
I bet a complete collection of everyone produced would break the bank, but what a collection that would be. Mcusta began releasing these annually starting in 2004 so 16 years plus multiples of different handles, blades and some years they released a couple of models w/ different handles and blades. Something to dream about. So difficult when they only made such small numbers of these each year.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:02 am
kennedy knives wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:22 pm Pretty Knives Mark if you look inside were the Tang area is you should see a serial #
Gary
Yes, I did happen to see that and it matches what’s on the box. One is #18 and the other is #38. The Kaeru is from the year after your Ginkgo and pine needles. Any idea on the year my vine one was produced?
I bet a complete collection of everyone produced would break the bank, but what a collection that would be. Mcusta began releasing these annually starting in 2004 so 16 years plus multiples of different handles, blades and some years they released a couple of models w/ different handles and blades. Something to dream about. So difficult when they only made such small numbers of these each year.
Mark I pick mine up in 2008 . Will have to look back and see when they were produced . Very Limited # ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Pretty precision = Mcusta
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I contacted Jemmy Iwahara at JKD. And he said this knife was from the first year that Mcusta made these limited custom models so that means it’s from 2004, The wooden handles he confirmed are ebony scales, they just are not stained to look black. I think that they look great w/ the dark stain.

On another note. I am trying my best to get Jemmy Iwahara to join AAPK and help me out w/ some questions that people have. I also want him to help me write down the history of Japanese knives. I would like to see how it all evolved after A.G.Russell, Frost and Parker went over there and got those knives from that period done. I want to know the significant people, what worked and what didn’t. How did the business become the companies they are now: Moki, Mcusta, Seki Cut, G. Sakai and Tak Fukuta. Jemmy has over 50 years of first hand knowledge and experience in the Japanese knife making business, I am sure he will be a great addition to this forum
So if he shows up suddenly, please give him a warm welcome.
Attachments
IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2865.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 am I contacted Jemmy Iwahara at JKD. And he said this knife was from the first year that Mcusta made these limited custom models so that means it’s from 2004, The wooden handles he confirmed are ebony scales, they just are not stained to look black. I think that they look great w/ the dark stain.

On another note. I am trying my best get Jemmy Iwahara to join AAPK and help me out w/ some questions that people have. I also want him to help me write down the history of Japanese knives. I would like to see how it all evolved after A.G.Russell, Frost and Parker went over there and got those knives from that period done. I want to know the significant people, what worked and what didn’t. How did the business become the companies they are now: Moki, Mcusta, Seki Cut, G. Sakai and Tak Fukuta. Jemmy has over 50 years of first hand knowledge and experience in the Japanese knife making business, I am sure he will be a great addition to this forum
So if he shows up suddenly, please give him a warm welcome.

BEAUTIFUL knife
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, this is my 1st. Mcusta, but I can be sure it won't be my last! This knife has been posted previously on a couple of threads in this link, but now that it's mine I will post it again. I just received it from Mark at SSK(Sharpnshinyknives), and prior to receiving it was told by him that I would love the appearance and silky-smooth action it displays, and as soon as I had it in-hand I knew exactly what he meant. To see this knife in person and feel the blade glide out of the channel via the thumb-stud, then lock-up tight and solid, is indeed a treat! It's hollow construction, so there's no spine to make it possible to see the run-up where the tang meets the backspring, but if it did have one I'm sure it would display a very tight tolerance, just like all Mcustas. It's 6 3/8" and has a VG-10 SS blade riding on oiled-washers with a top-swedge and blue-anodized amby thumb-studs, 33 layer Damascus "basket-weave" body design, blue-anodized pivot, screw construction, and SS single liner-lock closing. I now certainly understand Mark's attraction to these Japanese knives, and look forward to acquiring more of them, in fact, I already have another one reserved with him! Thanks again for making me aware of these beautiful knives Mark! 8)
WIN_20200715_12_46_04_Pro.jpg
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

You picked a winner for sure Mark ::nod:: . I had me eye on it too, glad it went to fellow Canadian knife nut ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mark(SSK)has another one in his store Willy if you still want one! It's a gorgeous knife and you won't be disappointed! Thx for the well-wishes! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Had the opportunity to buy this Kamon Series, Family Crest, knife. This is my second one of these, I believe they made 8 different Kamon knives in this series. The knife features a blade with a VG-10 Core and 33 layer stainless Damascus. The handles are also stainless steel with the family crest laser cut and enamel in the outline. Comes with the cloth knife pouch and box. I like the machining on the handles in the spine. Of course it has the Mcusta oiled washer system that makes the deployment silky smooth.
Attachments
IMG_4298.jpeg
IMG_4300.jpeg
IMG_4302.jpeg
IMG_4303.jpeg
IMG_4304.jpeg

Return to “Japanese-made knives”