Post your Mcusta’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Mcusta’s

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I haven’t seen anyone post here for awhile so I got out my display case with all my Mcusta’s and took a few pics. Not the best quality pictures but it’s hard to take good group shots. I couldn’t pick a favorite out of this bunch, but the Jazz has to be in the top 2.
Attachments
IMG_4463.jpeg
IMG_4464.jpeg
IMG_4465.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:08 pm I haven’t seen anyone post here for awhile so I got out my display case with all my Mcusta’s and took a few pics. Not the best quality pictures but it’s hard to take good group shots. I couldn’t pick a favorite out of this bunch, but the Jazz has to be in the top 2.
Mark, you're kill'in me! ::dang:: I thought I had all the Mcustas I want all wrapped up with the 3 I have and am getting, but now you go and show us these, ::woot:: jeez, now I see 3 more I want! That is a very beautiful collection of these fine knives you own, enjoy them! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got this Mcusta offered to me the other day I just couldn’t pass it up. The handles are anodized aluminum with real stingray skin inlayed into the handle. The back side looks just like it came from the Katana series. This one has a plain VG-10 blade and no San Mai. The pivot pin is anodized as well. Has the oiled washer system for a very smooth deployment. When the linerlock engages it has an interesting “click” that sounds like it’s resonating in the handles. This one will look very nice in my collection.
Attachments
FBD448AE-DDCC-44FE-8FE5-70E2833704EA.jpeg
81240820-FF26-4F5F-9C22-F08F95732699.jpeg
86485367-EC6E-491B-B4C5-7E1243D51A28.jpeg
349AB521-7C54-4694-9C22-F58D32A3E5CD.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beeeaaauuutttiiifffuuulll Mark! ::tu:: Another one for my "Wishlist"! ::pray:: What's the oal? 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Closed OAL is 4 1/4” with a blade length of 3 1/4”
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I think the styling of that knife is exceptional. Including stingray in a contemporary design is so original, a tip of the hat to ancient bladesmiths.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark and Garry. I don’t remember seeing this one before and not really sure when it was made. But the stingray on the handle is an amazing addition. The anodized aluminum has such an incredible feel to it, it’s not slick and it’s not rough. It’s a work of art, craftsmanship and practicality all rolled into one. It would be a great EDC.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:18 am stingray on the handle
That's just plain COOL!! 8)
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:08 pm Thought I would give a little history of Mcusta here on the initial page of this thread. Mcusta started close to 35 years ago. Based in Seki City Japan, Mcusta’s name is a combination of “machined custom”. Mcusta uses high quality metals and wood for their knives. All Mcusta’s use VG-10 stainless steel either alone or in a San Mai form. For those not familiar w/ the word San Mai, it simply means a “jacket”. So a VG-10 core would be the hardest stainless steel used for the edge w/ a jacket of other metal. Usually it’s a Damascus stainless but not always. I will post pictures of both.
Mcusta styles their knives from traditional Japanese style knives. Which might be one reason they aren’t as well known or popular w/ collectors. But anyone who has handled one soon finds themselves falling in love with these knives. The precision, high quality of materials and fit and finish are hard to beat unless you buy a custom made knife. Mcusta makes mostly knives that would be considered “tactical” by nature. Made of thicker blade steel and using either thumb studs or a hole in the blade for one handed deployment. They use an oiled washer system for smooth as silk action. Many knives come w/ a pocket clip.
Annually Mcusta issues a very limited quantity of custom knives and if you are lucky enough to get one and can afford it, these are amazing knives to collect. Hopefully there will be some posted later.
I am working on finding out more about Mcusta and Moki and will update information in this and a subsequent thread for Moki’s.
Start posting.
Below is a blade made w/ just a jacket of metal and the other is a jacket of 33 layer Damascus. Both knives have handles made from 33 layer Damascus stainless.
Nice! Beautiful knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Rich53 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:08 pm Thought I would give a little history of Mcusta here on the initial page of this thread. Mcusta started close to 35 years ago. Based in Seki City Japan, Mcusta’s name is a combination of “machined custom”. Mcusta uses high quality metals and wood for their knives. All Mcusta’s use VG-10 stainless steel either alone or in a San Mai form. For those not familiar w/ the word San Mai, it simply means a “jacket”. So a VG-10 core would be the hardest stainless steel used for the edge w/ a jacket of other metal. Usually it’s a Damascus stainless but not always. I will post pictures of both.
Mcusta styles their knives from traditional Japanese style knives. Which might be one reason they aren’t as well known or popular w/ collectors. But anyone who has handled one soon finds themselves falling in love with these knives. The precision, high quality of materials and fit and finish are hard to beat unless you buy a custom made knife. Mcusta makes mostly knives that would be considered “tactical” by nature. Made of thicker blade steel and using either thumb studs or a hole in the blade for one handed deployment. They use an oiled washer system for smooth as silk action. Many knives come w/ a pocket clip.
Annually Mcusta issues a very limited quantity of custom knives and if you are lucky enough to get one and can afford it, these are amazing knives to collect. Hopefully there will be some posted later.
I am working on finding out more about Mcusta and Moki and will update information in this and a subsequent thread for Moki’s.
Start posting.
Below is a blade made w/ just a jacket of metal and the other is a jacket of 33 layer Damascus. Both knives have handles made from 33 layer Damascus stainless.
Nice! Beautiful knives.
Thanks Rich, glad you like them. Welcome aboard, in case I missed tell you that in another thread.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I put this one in my store today. I don’t intend to use these forums for promotion, just for education and documentation. Some day the knives in these Seki threads will be a great resource of information on knives no longer produced.
This is from the Classic Wave series. This is the first one of these that I have handled and must say I am very impressed. These are designed to be a bit lower cost than the usual Mcusta and certainly lower than the higher end Mcustas. There is no pocket clip on some of these and they usually have less expensive handles, with wood, Corian and Micarta handles. Comes with plain VG-10 blades or the more expensive San Mai 33 layer Damascus blade with VG-10 core. The usual oiled washer system for smooth deployment. These Classic Wave knives all have finger grooves and are very comfortable in hand.
This one has Cocobolo handles that are very nice. Great striation of color and very smoothly finished. Double thumb studs for ambidextrous deployment. This one does not have a pocket clip. Comes with a nylon and leather belt sheath, no Nishijin pouch.
Attachments
686701A1-32DE-4509-B409-2C8A883D8354.jpeg
828BB082-7062-4761-A12D-0D33879A9740.jpeg
5C2E4843-D3E8-49AC-BA98-74A5D4D38071.jpeg
8087E515-15E2-4D3E-823C-C46FE9F057F8.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:53 pm I put this one in my store today. I don’t intend to use these forums for promotion, just for education and documentation. Some day the knives in these Seki threads will be a great resource of information on knives no longer produced.
This is from the Classic Wave series. This is the first one of these that I have handled and must say I am very impressed. These are designed to be a bit lower cost than the usual Mcusta and certainly lower than the higher end Mcustas. There is no pocket clip on some of these and they usually have less expensive handles, with wood, Corian and Micarta handles. Comes with plain VG-10 blades or the more expensive San Mai 33 layer Damascus blade with VG-10 core. The usual oiled washer system for smooth deployment. These Classic Wave knives all have finger grooves and are very comfortable in hand.
This one has Cocobolo handles that are very nice. Great striation of color and very smoothly finished. Double thumb studs for ambidextrous deployment. This one does not have a pocket clip. Comes with a nylon and leather belt sheath, no Nishijin pouch.
Oh my Mark, that tis a lovely flipper indeed.
The grain on that example of cocobolo is 🔥!...
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I agree with Willy. The grain of the wood is beautiful.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Willy and Garry. Granted I did put mineral oil on it and wiped it down and then put Ren Wax on it, but honestly I almost skipped doing that this time, it looked so good without it. It’s the lines in this cocobolo that are so sweet and this one just feels great to hold. It’s like they grooved the handles just for my hand. A lot of thought went into this design.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice Mcusta Mark! I like how the finger grooves blend right into the grain pattern giving it a wavy appearance. I know exactly what you mean when you say it feels like the grooves were design to fit your hand, that's how I feel about that big Parker I have with the tanto blade. Quite reasonably priced as well. Nice knife! 8)
8)
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Mcusta MC - 14D Seki Japan. My first Damascus blade. The cocobolo wood really sets it off too. I'll never edc it, but it's fun to play with, really smooth opening with just a flick. 8)

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Mcusta. The wooden handles on these are exceptionally nice. I love that smooth deployment as well. The oiled washer makes a big difference.
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 pm Very nice Mcusta. The wooden handles on these are exceptionally nice. I love that smooth deployment as well. The oiled washer makes a big difference.
Thanks !

I've got a question though. Everything I read about these Damascus models it says "VG-10 core Damascus". Could this infer that they are San Mai constructions ? Looking at the blade it sure looks like the Damascus layers down to a hamon, and then stops, leaving the VG-10 for the edge. Just curious if anyone knows. ::shrug::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Toejammer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 pm Very nice Mcusta. The wooden handles on these are exceptionally nice. I love that smooth deployment as well. The oiled washer makes a big difference.
Thanks !

I've got a question though. Everything I read about these Damascus models it says "VG-10 core Damascus". Could this infer that they are San Mai constructions ? Looking at the blade it sure looks like the Damascus layers down to a hamon, and then stops, leaving the VG-10 for the edge. Just curious if anyone knows. ::shrug::
Yes it is San Mai. I think they gave up trying to distinguish the difference for folks. But it is definitely a San Mai blade with a VG-10 core and 33 layer stainless Damascus jacket.
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Thanks !

Yes it is San Mai. I think they gave up trying to distinguish the difference for folks. But it is definitely a San Mai blade with a VG-10 core and 33 layer stainless Damascus jacket.
Thank you sir ! ::tu::
Bruce Lee
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Toejammer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:28 pm Mcusta MC - 14D Seki Japan. My first Damascus blade. The cocobolo wood really sets it off too. I'll never edc it, but it's fun to play with, really smooth opening with just a flick. 8)

Gorgeous knife T.J.! ::tu:: Congrats! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Toejammer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks !

Man :shock:, that tis taking blade smith'ing to a whole nether plain...

Doing straight Damascus, is hard enough.

Wrapping said steel, around a solid core, of a different grade, and getting them too fuse successfully together; well, that's takes some serious skill, and most of all, tons of patience!

I think this boi, is fine sticking with some good ole American (carbon) steel. All these different "exotic" metallurgy, is too much for this foggy brain to handle.
Give me some 1085 relief! ::mdm::

:lol:

Ah, again sir, amazing Mcusta!

I just have to find an existing dealing, up here in moose land. That way I'll circumvent customs completely. Yes, dealers are still allowed to import flippers, but we ordinary little people can't...
::shrug:: ::doh::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:50 am

Wrapping said steel, around a solid core, of a different grade, and getting them too fuse successfully together; well, that's takes some serious skill, and most of all, tons of patience!

I think this boi, is fine sticking with some good ole American (carbon) steel. All these different "exotic" metallurgy, is too much for this foggy brain to handle.

I just have to find an existing dealing, up here in moose land. That way I'll circumvent customs completely. Yes, dealers are still allowed to import flippers, but we ordinary little people can't...
Willy! Just FYI, www.srknivesandswords.com and www.warriorsandwonders.com are both Canadian companies that sell Mcustas so there would be no Customs, although, their prices are sky-high! Also, I'm not so sure that the dealers can still import flippers, since that's part of the problem that www.herooutdoors.com has with stock not being available, they place their orders with US and other suppliers, but they then get hung-up at the border. Apparently, some get through, some don't. Hero sells Mcustas too, but their prices are the highest of all. Thought you might wanna know! Mark! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:36 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:50 am

Willy! Just FYI, www.srknivesandswords.com and www.warriorsandwonders.com are both Canadian companies that sell Mcustas so there would be no Customs, although, their prices are sky-high! Also, I'm not so sure that the dealers can still import flippers, since that's part of the problem that www.herooutdoors.com has with stock not being available, they place their orders with US and other suppliers, but they then get hung-up at the border. Apparently, some get through, some don't. Hero sells Mcustas too, but their prices are the highest of all. Thought you might wanna know! Mark! 8)
Thank you Mark, the links are greatly appreciated mate.
::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got in these two today. The black one is from the Tactility Elite series. Black Micarta handles with San Mai blade of VG-10 and 33 layer Damascus stainless steel. The Micarta handles have a great feel to them in hand and look almost like wood. This would make a great working knife.
The second one has more story to it. This is from the Tactility line which has the thumb hole instead of the thumbstud. The exception to the rule is the Tactility Elite Series which has a thumbstud. This one is from the Sengoku series. Which is to celebrate the different Samurai that ruled the different states of Japan. This has the Kamon, or family crest, of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, he is the Samurai that finally united the warring states of Japan and became a regent of the emperor. This has some beautiful Pakkawood handles that are cut to look like the armor of the Samurai. All the Sengoku series have wood cut like this, it’s very impressive in hand. The blade is solid VG-10 stainless steel. Deploys like silk and both are razor sharp.
Attachments
DF81B329-8239-46BA-BA37-B24955A22DCB.jpeg
2B22BC35-3450-4BA1-8191-1EAEB7AA9592.jpeg
A8C619EC-3F20-48FD-9F2C-5F3D1A2006CA.jpeg
E73EC8CB-D165-48F0-BB0D-B9E6F20B92D7.jpeg
EFA19CD4-C88B-425C-BDFD-29C66E77C3F6.jpeg

Return to “Japanese-made knives”