Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

JamieinWV wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:10 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am Those are beauties Jamie! ::tu:: Who da thunk Coleman's were built in Seki! ::shrug:: 8)
Well after searching rumor had it they were made by camillus, buy I don’t know that to be fact.
2016 thread www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_foru ... 72#p532722
Jamie, I have posted on here before about Coleman knives, but I can’t find the thread. I bought a collection of Coleman Seki made knives about 3 years ago and sold them all on here. From my research I can say that Camillus didn’t make these. The person I bought the collection from sold camping equipment for over 30 years and he had these from his time selling. Coleman only made these once in Seki Japan and it was 1990 or there about. From having handled hundreds of Japanese knives, I’ve concluded that either Master Imai or Tak Fukuta were the most likely ones to have made these. They were the few at that time that had the resources to make such a large order of these. There were 1000 of each pattern made in blue bone and 1000 of the stag patterns.
After this time Coleman moved production to China on these.
Hope this helps.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:35 pm
JamieinWV wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:10 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:36 am Those are beauties Jamie! ::tu:: Who da thunk Coleman's were built in Seki! ::shrug:: 8)
Well after searching rumor had it they were made by camillus, buy I don’t know that to be fact.
2016 thread www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_foru ... 72#p532722
Jamie, I have posted on here before about Coleman knives, but I can’t find the thread. I bought a collection of Coleman Seki made knives about 3 years ago and sold them all on here. From my research I can say that Camillus didn’t make these. The person I bought the collection from sold camping equipment for over 30 years and he had these from his time selling. Coleman only made these once in Seki Japan and it was 1990 or there about. From having handled hundreds of Japanese knives, I’ve concluded that either Master Imai or Tak Fukuta were the most likely ones to have made these. They were the few at that time that had the resources to make such a large order of these. There were 1000 of each pattern made in blue bone and 1000 of the stag patterns.
After this time Coleman moved production to China on these.
Hope this helps.
Thanks much for the information, I really like the Coleman knives…I have only had the Japan versions and all are good quality. Shame only a limited run of them.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a fine 3 1/8" lock back knife with Abalone inlays by Hiro. Blade is G2 stainless. Back tang has "Seki City/Japan".
kj
Attachments
IMGP2593.JPG
IMGP2594.JPG
IMGP2595.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 2 small folders, both 2 1/4" closed. The stainless handle 2 blade knife is "Kaicutlery" also marked "5700/Japan".
The little lock back with engraved pearl and long bolsters is marked "kershaw/kai" and "5300/Japan".
The quality is good but not equal to the Hiro or a Moki.
kj

If anyone wants to buy these knives let me know. I can't take them with me so they need new homes.
Attachments
IMGP2598.JPG
IMGP2596.JPG
IMGP2597.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This 2 1/2" pearl folder is a little different but i may as well post it here.
Murray Carter is a highly regarded blade smith. He spent 17 years in Japan apprenticing to a Japanese sword smith and learned to use the same tools and techniques that have been used for over 1000 years for making swords and blades.
This little folder was made by one of his master's current apprentices. Made using the old techniques and hand tools. Murray imported a few and sold them to help support the apprentice.
kj
Attachments
IMGP2599.JPG
IMGP2600.JPG
IMGP2601.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

They're all gorgeous knives Roland, but the Hiro and Carter at the end are simply stunning! ::uc:: Beautiful knives, please enjoy them! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice Roland. Love the pearl one at the bottom the best. The Hiro abalone is pretty sweet too.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:05 pm This 2 1/2" pearl folder is a little different but i may as well post it here.
Murray Carter is a highly regarded blade smith. He spent 17 years in Japan apprenticing to a Japanese sword smith and learned to use the same tools and techniques that have been used for over 1000 years for making swords and blades.
This little folder was made by one of his master's current apprentices. Made using the old techniques and hand tools. Murray imported a few and sold them to help support the apprentice.
kj
That’s a awesome knife
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:05 pm This 2 1/2" pearl folder is a little different but i may as well post it here.
kj
Roland I sent you a PM, we can come up with the details on the sale.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just added this Kanetsune knife to my store. Made for A.G. Russell in Seki Japan. The blade is made of white steel Damascus and is extremely sharp. All white steel knives I’ve ever handled have the sharpest blades I’ve ever encountered, I love this steel. The hammer marks on the blade make this look great. I have no idea what the wooden handles and sheath are, but I like the looks. Kanetsune is known for making chef’s knives, but they do make hunting and in this case a fighting knife. I don’t think I’ve seen a Kanetsune knife posted in this forum before. So any others out there, please post them.
Attachments
ADA4427C-B6CD-40E7-A45A-F9EB3B59FEE5.jpeg
FF1C14FA-9441-4560-9A14-6653CCB458C4.jpeg
CD8E210D-B2B5-4C06-A8AB-196A25988C94.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, I happen to have that same knife. Have had it for more than a few years. Unfortunately, for me, I cannot tell you exactly where I have it, other than in storage. It is as you say, i.e. superbly sharp.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a very colorful unique fixed blade Mark! ::tu:: I like it! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry and Mark.
I wish I still had the A.G. Russell catalog that these were first offered in, but it’s hard to store them, I get so many.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I gave up on storing catalogs long ago. I thought they were becoming a fire risk. :)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

"Catalogs, we don' need no stinkin' catalogs"! LOL! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:02 am Mark, I happen to have that same knife. Have had it for more than a few years. Unfortunately, for me, I cannot tell you exactly where I have it, other than in storage. It is as you say, i.e. superbly sharp.
A fellow AAPK member called me from California and told me what this wood is, it’s cherry bark that has been softened and molded to shape. He also sent me the listing in the A.G. Russell Catalog from 2006 with the description of this knife in it, attached to this post.
Attachments
AE5C00B1-F693-4ECC-9D6C-283F8A0183B6.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I received an email from JKD a few days ago and they just got in some new knives from Master Hattori. I didn’t act on it very soon and nearly missed out. By the time I got to the site they had already sold out the ones they had of these with ironwood handles and all that was left was this ebony handled one, which by the way is the one I wanted. The price on these was pretty reasonable for one made by Mr Hattori. I went against my cardinal rule on knives in my collection, no brass bolsters or end caps. I’m going to try and apply numerous applications of Ren Wax to keep these from corroding, hopefully it will work. Fortunately they aren’t real big.
This model is called Gecko, which in Japan is a symbol of good luck and there is a Gecko on the end cap. It’s quite a looker and feels great in hand too.
Attachments
E855A07F-F7DC-4D05-BE9B-57C8B97EF0F2.jpeg
8072BB8F-5A66-4115-B09F-5E1B8D4BAA46.jpeg
763A89CA-F3FE-4B16-B584-8DC40D37606E.jpeg
48AFE30F-75EA-4278-A5E1-8F1208FF189F.jpeg
670C4B2D-BDE7-468B-84BC-BCDA586F4797.jpeg
D51AA08B-95F2-4575-8653-960DFA922E6E.jpeg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:27 pm I received an email from JKD a few days ago and they just got in some new knives from Master Hattori. I didn’t act on it very soon and nearly missed out. By the time I got to the site they had already sold out the ones they had of these with ironwood handles and all that was left was this ebony handled one, which by the way is the one I wanted. The price on these was pretty reasonable for one made by Mr Hattori. I went against my cardinal rule on knives in my collection, no brass bolsters or end caps. I’m going to try and apply numerous applications of Ren Wax to keep these from corroding, hopefully it will work. Fortunately they aren’t real big.
This model is called Gecko, which in Japan is a symbol of good luck and there is a Gecko on the end cap. It’s quite a looker and feels great in hand too.
Nice one, Mark. That is one of my favorite designs by Hattori. THE John Young is making me one with blackwood.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Montanaman wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:33 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:27 pm I received an email from JKD a few days ago and they just got in some new knives from Master Hattori. I didn’t act on it very soon and nearly missed out. By the time I got to the site they had already sold out the ones they had of these with ironwood handles and all that was left was this ebony handled one, which by the way is the one I wanted. The price on these was pretty reasonable for one made by Mr Hattori. I went against my cardinal rule on knives in my collection, no brass bolsters or end caps. I’m going to try and apply numerous applications of Ren Wax to keep these from corroding, hopefully it will work. Fortunately they aren’t real big.
Nice one, Mark. That is one of my favorite designs by Hattori. THE John Young is making me one with blackwood.
Sweet Kris, be sure to show us pictures of it when it arrives. I envy your collection, you have great taste in knives. I like this design too. Not usually a tanto guy but this one breaks the mold.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Will do. What this design does for me is provide a much more usable edge for ranch work. James Behring Jr. makes a sweet one he calls the "Cattleman".
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Would that be this one, by chance? This does look like a great tanto for hard work.
Attachments
IMG_0292.jpeg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:48 pm Would that be this one, by chance? This does look like a great tanto for hard work.
That's the ticket! I would have bought one if John wasn't making me one.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received the same email Mark and took a look, ::hmm:: but the higher prices kept it at took a look for me! ::facepalm:: Really like your choice of ebony covers forced or otherwise, and I hope your plan for Ren Wax is successful, although with such a small amount of brass I doubt you'll have problems. I think the Tanto blade makes the knife! Very nice, enjoy! 8)
8)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, that is a very beautiful Hattori knife. All the elements flow together perfectly like a work of art.
Does Hattori give a name to this pattern ? like "Boning knife", or "Hunting knife", etc.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The description says “classic tanto” and “earth”. I noticed a series of fighting knives that he has names like “Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Earth”. I think he named this depending on the stone he used for a spacer and that is what the “earth” refers to, the turquoise. Otherwise it’s just a classic tanto design.
It’s a heck of a classic tanto look. It’s very much a work of art.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”